aberdeen-music

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

*Amy*

Soundtrack - Utter shite. Again focusing on being whacky. The Oumpa Lumpas were just rubbish... the effects made then so fucking annoying. Them all having that stupid screwed up face was a terrible idea. VERY badly done imho and a 5 year old could have written better music.

But Danny Elfman's amazing! Amazing! Actually, I'm going to keep out of this, but I thought it was some of his best work yet, the rockier Oompa Loompa track was ace, and I thought the opening credit music was perfect for the story...

PS In the 70s movie the garden looked rubbish, especially the 'chocolate river' that looked more like a contaminated sewer. The Tim Burton one looked utterly delicious...

I loved this film. I was captivated by the way that the whole thing came together. Brought back memories of seein the original on t.v. as a kid. As soon as Depp came onto the screen I was literally smiling for the rest of the film. I just loved his quirky comments and how he made every scene entertaining

I think the new film is over rated. I mean the story line is good especially towards the end and Johnny Depp is good in it but I just feel the changes they have made from the book are quite shit for example how they try and modernise it. With Mike TV playing a computer game instead of watching cowboys on tv. Also making Violet a martial arts champion what is up with that?

Also the fact that it is in dollars where the book states it is in british money in the novel pinches a nerve.

That is just me being picky though.

EDIT: By the way, whoever said the oompa loompas were scary deserve a kick in the teeth. They are the shittest thing about the film. The songs are rubbish too.

It's not just a film... It's a cinematic experience.

I went to see it twice now, second time was so much better. I get very excited at the Edward Scissorhands referrence. Tim Burton and Johnny Depp make quite a team.

On that note, has anyone seen the trailor for "Corpse Bride" another Burton/Depp film, in the style of 'Nightmare before Christmas'. It looks far too disturbing to be a kids film, but the trailor was shown in a PG screening. Looks fantastic anyway.

Guest bluesxman

Can anyone think of a bad Johnny Depp performance in a movie? I've tried and can't think of one - he's been in a couple of ropey films but he has never been bad in them as far as i'm concerned.

I thought it was really great - johnny depp did creep me out a little bit at first but you do grow to love him - i mean - he's johnny depp....

The film is so Tim Burton - he really made it like I imagined it. With his films they're so surreal and he totally makes it seem like a fantastic dream you might have with absolutely no details missed out - i am not doing a very good job of putting what I mean into words here but yeah...i liked it.

Can anyone think of a bad Johnny Depp performance in a movie? I've tried and can't think of one - he's been in a couple of ropey films but he has never been bad in them as far as i'm concerned.

I agree, he's been in some films which weren't that great but his peformance is always spot on.

I saw it last night and loved it, I thought Depp was perfect as Wonka, totally creepy yet totally charming.

....I just feel the changes they have made from the book are quite shit for example how they try and modernise it. With Mike TV playing a computer game instead of watching cowboys on tv. Also making Violet a martial arts champion what is up with that?

Also the fact that it is in dollars where the book states it is in british money in the novel pinches a nerve.

That is just me being picky though.

You gotta remember man, firstly it would have to have some relevance to life today, it is in essecnce a family film, kids are going to see it and i think kids are more likely to relate to playing PS2 than watching cowboy films, also the whole Violet storyline is just bringing it up to date a bit, 'into the now' as it were, i dont think any of her character was ruined in the process, tho i do admit i dont remember Mike Teevee bein such an arse in the book.

it's a different generation this has been made for, and to be honest, in my eyes i think it was a no brainer introducing little things like that into the film, they were minor details, its not like they repaced violets chewing gum with a crack habit or anything.

I do agree that the dollar thing was a bit weird, tho i understand why they did it, the factory + surroundings was set in a fantasy land within the real world. all the architecture looked english, all the buckets were english, the factory looked like a 'polished' industrial english factory, but the currency was dollars, it was just so not to pin the factory to a specific place, this also obviously works as the film was to be released across the world.

Not something that was to be looked into too much i think ;)

Anyway, like i have to say it, i saw the film earlier and i thought it was great. Much preferred to the other film, Depp was awesome, he was just was how i always saw wonka as being, off the wall and eccentric as fuck. Wilder wasnt that by any means, he was way nicer to the kids, whereas Depp always appeared to be killing himself laughing on the inside when he saw the kids get theirs. The wonka kid flashbacks did put me off a bit to start with but it all made sense in the end, it was a good extra dimention to the character which it really needed, i think the way it was done, wonka would of been a bit of a flat 'comedy relief' without it.

The oopma-loompa's were great, im ecstatic they didnt feel the need to put the creepy original oompa loompa song in, it was balls. Deep Roy was inspired casting, the tunes were ace and the whole thing worked for me. More like dancing hobbits less like chuckie with sunburn.

My only minor criticism i touched on above was that i don't remember all the other kids being quite as repulsive little brats, i think they maybe over-did it with making Charlie sickly sweet and innocent and the other 4 complete little bastards. Mike and Veruca especially had me wanting to wrench my chair out from below me and lob it at the screen. But i guess for the younger viewers, the contrast had to be make perfectly clear to tell a good story.

All in all, good shit!

Well for me, the "new" version is the best. The original was just too damn boring.

The garden looked way too fake, and the kids weren't nicer in it, they were more irritating. At least in the new film, you really believe they deserve what they get.

It's a more magical and fun film, and the chocolate river looks so much better! As for the tunnel thing, come on! What the hell was the point in it? A bug crawling across someones face? Oh, forgive me for not missing that "essential" part of the film.

The songs were a lot more entertaining and the different themes for each child's mishaps was great!

And the idea of the Oompa Loompas was much more believable! Granted I did miss the whole orange and green appearance, but the idea of a tribe of Oompa Loompas appealed to me even more! You got to see what they had come from and what their predators looked like! And also how Willy managed to persuade them to leave their homes and work at his factory.

Plus this film explained how Willy Wonka met OL's, in the original you just have to take it for granted that he came across them somehow. You're not given a story about how he was on the search for new flavours.

The chocolate palace, THAT was brilliant! Also this version explains why Willy Wonka had no family and why he loved chocolate so much.

This film was more fun and full of much more colour and unusual ideas. In the original, Willy wonka just made great chocolate. Apart from the lickable wallpaper, there was no "wacky" ideas; the whipped cream was just genius in the new version!