aberdeen-music

Channel 4's 100 Greatest Albums

Hardcore Mel

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

all of you are blowing whole farms worth of goats. all of you!!! goats being blown for 4 pages!!!

what the fuck did you all expect? "oh, i was hoping magnetic shitwand were gonna sneak in top 5 with their seminal dirtcore classic 'space raider machine'"

these polls are based on albums that have sold millions of copies and those which are popular at the time. as far as i'm concerned, led zep IV is vastly inferior to a great deal of their other output, but it's got stairway on it and 9/10 people on the street would name that first if you asked them for a led zep song.

even someone like nick drake would have been omitted if this poll had been a year back. he became cool again a while back when brad pitt hosted a programme about him on radio 2 and then he appears in this. clearly the beatles were gonna feature pretty highly because of the diversity of their output and the impact it's had.

people who watch anything with the title "the 100 greatest....." should not expect to be pleased and shoild not expect to be surprised. these programmes are good for reminding you of things you'd put to the back f your mind and nothing else. they put them on because they fill hours and hours of dead air.

spoons

/x

p.s. no matter how many goats you all blow, the libertines blow more!

all of you are blowing whole farms worth of goats. all of you!!! goats being blown for 4 pages!!!

what the fuck did you all expect? "oh' date=' i was hoping magnetic shitwand were gonna sneak in top 5 with their seminal dirtcore classic 'space raider machine'"

these polls are based on albums that have sold millions of copies and those which are popular at the time. as far as i'm concerned, led zep IV is vastly inferior to a great deal of their other output, but it's got stairway on it and 9/10 people on the street would name that first if you asked them for a led zep song.

even someone like nick drake would have been omitted if this poll had been a year back. he became cool again a while back when brad pitt hosted a programme about him on radio 2 and then he appears in this. clearly the beatles were gonna feature pretty highly because of the diversity of their output and the impact it's had.

people who watch anything with the title "the 100 greatest....." should not expect to be pleased and shoild not expect to be surprised. these programmes are good for reminding you of things you'd put to the back f your mind and nothing else. they put them on because they fill hours and hours of dead air.

spoons

/x

p.s. no matter how many goats you all blow, the libertines blow more![/quote']

Class :D .............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................Apart from the Libertines part! :nono:

Jinkies.. I own all but 13 of these albums on various formats. Spot the person who worked in a record shop.

THE 100 GREATEST ALBUMS (apparently)

1. RADIOHEAD - OK Computer

2. U2 - The Joshua Tree

3. NIRVANA - Nevermind

4. MICHAEL JACKSON - Thriller

5. PINK FLOYD - Dark Side of the Moon

6. OASIS - Definitely Maybe

7. THE BEATLES - Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

8. MADONNA - Like a Prayer

9. GUNS N' ROSES - Appetite For Destruction

10. THE BEATLES - Revolver

11. R.E.M. - Automatic for the People

12. THE BEATLES - The White Album

13. QUEEN - A Night at the Opera

14. COLDPLAY - Parachutes

15. OASIS - (What's the Story) Morning Glory

16. ALANIS MORISSETTE - Jagged Little Pill

17. LED ZEPPELIN - Led Zeppelin IV

18. THE VERVE - Urban Hymns

19. JIMI HENDRIX - Are you Experienced

20. THE SMITHS - The Queen Is Dead

21. JOHN LENNON - Imagine

22. RADIOHEAD - The Bends

23. BOB MARLEY AND THE WAILERS - Exodus

24. THE STONE ROSES - The Stone Roses

25. SIMON AND GARFUNKEL - Bridge Over Troubled Water

26. BJORK - Debut

27. THE DOORS - The Doors

28. ABBA - Arrival

29. MICHAEL JACKSON - Off the Wall

30. DURAN DURAN - Rio

31. SEX PISTOLS - Never Mind the Bollocks Here's the Sex Pistols

32. DAVID BOWIE - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars

33. THE BEACH BOYS - Pet Sounds

34. JOY DIVISION - Closer

35. THE ROLLING STONES - Let It Bleed

36. BLUR - Parklife

37. BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN - Born to Run

38. BILLIE HOLIDAY - Lady Sings the Blues

39. THE WHITE STRIPES - Elephant

40. BLACK SABBATH - Paranoid

41. THE SPECIALS - Specials

42. THE ROLLING STONES - Exile on Main Street

43. FRANK SINATRA - Songs for Swingin' Lovers!

44. THE CLASH - London Calling

45. THE PRODIGY - The Fat of the Land

46. THE VELVET UNDERGROUND - The Velvet Underground and Nico

47. DIRE STRAITS - Brothers in Arms

48. PIXIES - Doolittle

49. ARETHA FRANKLIN - I Never Loved a Man the Way I Love You

50. THE LIBERTINES - The Libertines

51. HAPPY MONDAYS - Pills 'N' Thrills and Bellyaches

52. PATTI SMITH - Horses

53. THE WHO - Tommy

54. LOU REED - Transformer

55. BOB DYLAN - Blood on the Tracks

56. PRINCE - Sign 'o' the Times

57. DIDO - No Angel

58. AIR - Moon Safari

59. ELTON JOHN - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road

60. THE JAM - All Mod Cons

61. JEFF BUCKLEY - Grace

62. FLEETWOOD MAC - Rumours

63. MOBY - Play

64. RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS - Blood Sugar Sex Magik

65. THE POLICE - Synchronicity

66. JONI MITCHELL - Blue

67. CURTIS MAYFIELD - Superfly

68. ELVIS PRESLEY - The Sun Sessions

69. OUTKAST - Speakerboxxx/The Love Below

70. PULP - Different Class

71. KRAFTWERK - Trans-Europe Express

72. MASSIVE ATTACK - Blue Lines

73. BECK - Odelay

74. STEVIE WONDER - Songs in the Key of Life

75. KATE BUSH - Hounds of Love

76. TALKING HEADS - Fear of Music

77. EMINEM - The Marshall Mathers LP

78. MARVIN GAYE - What's Going On

79. GEORGE MICHAEL - Faith

80. SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER - The Original Movie Soundtrack

81. PRIMAL SCREAM - Screamadelica

82. JOHN COLTRANE - A Love Supreme

83. LOVE - Forever Changes

84. PAUL SIMON - Graceland

85. NICK DRAKE - Five Leaves Left

86. MEAT LOAF - Bat Out of Hell

87. DUSTY SPRINGFIELD - Dusty in Memphis

88. DE LA SOUL - 3 Feet High and Rising

89. THE STROKES - Is this It

90. MADNESS - One Step Beyond...

91. ROBBIE WILLIAMS - I've Been Expecting You

92. NEIL YOUNG - After the Gold Rush

93. PUBLIC ENEMY - It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back

94. BLONDIE - Parallel Lines

95. THE EAGLES - Hotel California

96. JAMES BROWN - Sex Machine

97. THE STREETS - A Grand Don't Come for Free

98. DEXY'S MIDNIGHT RUNNERS - Searching for the Young Soul Rebels

99. ROD STEWART - Every Picture Tells a Story

100. The HUMAN LEAGUE - Dare!

In My Opinion... "Blood On The Tracks" is the greatest album ever made, closely followed by "Pet Sounds" although "Diary" by Sunny Day Real Estate is my favourite.

Ones I don't own.... Sorry I missed a few.. I also may have the Libertines but I can't remember:

5. PINK FLOYD - Dark Side of the Moon

21. JOHN LENNON - Imagine

28. ABBA - Arrival

57. DIDO - No Angel

58. AIR - Moon Safari

50. THE LIBERTINES - The Libertines

71. KRAFTWERK - Trans-Europe Express

79. GEORGE MICHAEL - Faith

80. SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER - The Original Movie Soundtrack

83. LOVE - Forever Changes

85. NICK DRAKE - Five Leaves Left

91. ROBBIE WILLIAMS - I've Been Expecting You

95. THE EAGLES - Hotel California

98. DEXY'S MIDNIGHT RUNNERS - Searching for the Young Soul Rebels

100. The HUMAN LEAGUE - Dare!

Must say I was pleasantly surprised to see Closer and It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back in this list, and Appetite at no. 9, but overall the list is hardly surprising. Most bands featured are represented by their blandest, most populist albums, which is what you'd expect when polling music consumers rather than music fans. I think most Led Zep fans would agree Physical Graffiti was much more diverse and challenging than IV; I personally think Meat Is Murder is better than The Queen Is Dead; Music For The Jilted Generation is more interesting than Fat Of The Land; where are AC/DC, one of the biggest selling bands of all time?; and as far as I'm concerned, any list that doesn't even have The Holy Bible in the NOMINATIONS is flawed from the very start. But the fact that other people have "decided" that Definitely Maybe is the 6th best album EVER is not going to make me change the fact I fucking despise Oasis. As far as I'm concerned, the only disappointment about this programme was hearing that Slash likes Radiohead and Oasis.

Anyway, I think the fact a fucking SOUNDTRACK makes it onto this list says it all really.

Guest neil ex
That list is so awful it's not even ironically humorous.

U2 better then Sinatra or Elvis?

Coldplay and The Smiths better than the Sex Pistols?

Who Votes?

Normally I would avoid this thread, however...

Who are you to say that Frank Sinatra or Elvis Pressly are better than U2?

or

The Sex Pistols are better than The Smiths or Coldplay?

Music is subjective to taste.. You can't say band 1 are better than band 2. What evidence is there?

Let people enjoy the music they enjoy without telling them 'oh you're wrong, my favourite band are better than your favourite band'.

Anyway.. What did people expect from this pole?

That list is so awful it's not even ironically humorous.

U2 better then Sinatra or Elvis?

Coldplay and The Smiths better than the Sex Pistols?

Who Votes?

perhaps there should be a "top 100 of lp's that have changed how people hear, and think about music".

but, would the morons of britain tune in ?

"napalm death - scum" (they are a joke band aren't they ? they do silly grunts for 3 seconds???!?!?!)

you see where our problem lies ?....

Normally I would avoid this thread' date=' however...

Who are you to say that Frank Sinatra or Elvis Pressly are better than U2?

or

The Sex Pistols are better than The Smiths or Coldplay?

Music is subjective to taste.. You can't say band 1 are better than band 2. What evidence is there?

Let people enjoy the music they enjoy without telling them 'oh you're wrong, my favourite band are better than your favourite band'.

Anyway.. What did people expect from this pole?[/quote']

I deliberately didn't say anyone was better than anyone, I merely questioned the decisions in a debating manner. Obviously I understand that music is subjective but there becomes a point when these things are ridiculous, I never expect much from these poll's but this one is totally mad.

HE'S GOT EIGHT CARS AND A HOUSE IN IRELAND...sing it.

two points.

1. As many people have said, the average joe in the street doesn't know much about music, doesn't really care about music, isn't passionate about it. Hence voting for bad albums, ridiculous albums and jaw-droppingly awful albums. Get over it. Muso snobs = boring.

2. I want someone to name an ALBUM that is better than OK Computer. Not an artist better than Radiohead, a collection of songs better than the ones on OK, but a better ALBUM. I have great belief in the album as artistic work, hence why I don't like skipping tracks on my CDs. And I fully believe that OK computer is technically accomplished, has incredibly sound and musicianship, some classic songs and lyrics, and fits together more perfectly than any other album I know of.

sincerely,

AKM

2. I want someone to name an ALBUM that is better than OK Computer. Not an artist better than Radiohead' date=' a collection of songs better than the ones on OK, but a better ALBUM. I have great belief in the album as artistic work, hence why I don't like skipping tracks on my CDs. And I fully believe that OK computer is technically accomplished, has incredibly sound and musicianship, some classic songs and lyrics, and fits together more perfectly than any other album I know of.

AKM[/quote']

I agree that OK Computer is a fantastic album. my problem with it is that "Lucky" and "The Tourist" are shite. I've just never liked those songs. Unlike what a lot of people say, I still think OK is an advance on The Bends - for god sake listen to it! It's the difference between Rubber Soul and Revolver!! The studio work is astonishing.

As for "better albums", for more cohesive and integrated pieces of work, I think Spiritualized's "Ladies And Gentlemen We Are Floating In space" is the best album of the 90's. Not one dud track, so many of them utterly amazing, and it's the ultimate love-lorn album. "Cop Shoot Cop" is awe-inspiring, the sound of a vortex ripped open...

You could also have Animals, The Wall or Dark Side by Pink Floyd. Especially Animals, Roger Waters' indictment of late 70's Britain: lyrically a take-off of Animal farm, musically a merger of punk and prog. Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah baby!

I thought the whole thing was pretty predictable and boring, there was some amusing moments though:

The guy from pink floyd, when asked about the rumour about dark side of the moon syncing up with the wizard of oz film : "nah its not true, probably just made up by some student sat alone in his bedsit smoking too much spliff"

Noel gallagher acting like a total egocentric twat.

The kid from the cover of that nirvana album all grown up and saying how he uses it to impress girls.

Someone ( i think from the sex pistols ) saying how he's waiting for something like the sex pistols to come along again and shatter everything, but he can't guess what it would be. ( i thought this was interesting, because it sure as fuck won't be all the kids inspired by the sex pistols and other bands that broke the mould)

Mani from the stone roses talking about stealing a tractor to go to some other bands (i think oasis) place where they were staying and nab their hash.

They do get everyone talking though, which is the point. Anyway, lists tell you more about the people who compile them than anything else. If as Mel said the 100 was from a list of 125 then that says a lot about C4's faith in the Great British Public.

Incidently does anyone remember the poll in 1999? Also on C4? Revolver came first, Stone Roses 2nd, Sgt Pepper 3rd. Joy Division and VU& Nico were both Top 10. Much better!