aberdeen-music

tracing withheld numbers

Camie

Guest Scorge Spike
Is there anyway at all that you can trace back withheld numbers?

No, otherwise it defies the point of withholding the number in the first place.

The only thing you can do is block them calling again, but that'll likely cost you money.

Guest MarkJDelaney

You can work with the police if it's a nuisance, malicious or "silent" call. They can trace numbers. I'm also under the impression that you can get help from your phone network regarding withheld numbers. Search the net too.

Guest Scorge Spike

Call the Nuisance Call Bureau instead (0800 661 441, 24 hours a day IIRC), they're the ones who actually have the power to trace the calls.

BT don't, all they do is recommend alternative solutions.

I work there, so I know this.

Guest Composed
It is a household phone so could I easily contact bt?

0800 661441

Nuisance Calls Bureau

But you have to raise a calls in error (CIE) fault with 151 first otherwise they will tell you to go to 151 and report it and then call them back

More to the point, unless it's seriously affecting and causing harm mentally or physically, then you shouldn't waste valuable resources on reporting it. If the person is calling you every hour and screaming abuse about dead relatives and giving you death threats, then do so..but if someone is merely winding you up on an irregular basis, then ignore it.

Incidentally, beware of getting in too deep with the police - it could just so happen that the person doing it could get off the hook and then duly make things far worse for yourself..so really, only go down that route if it's bad enough to warrant doing so.

Hey Scorge Spike' date=' I used to work at BT Aberdeen too. Blimey I hated it there.

One other bit of advice if you can't trace the number: blow a whistle down the phone if they are being continually abusive. They will na do it again.[/quote']

Top advice mate! Thats the last time that fucking rottweiller will go phoning me at 3am :D:D

a few years ago i had this monsterous brick of a phone that could call back witheld numbers strangely enough. was quite weird as the group of 'funny' girls harrassing me that night thought they were being so cool and clever, until i called back and spoke to the parentals...

i have no idea how it worked mind you...

More to the point' date=' unless it's seriously affecting and causing harm mentally or physically, then you shouldn't waste valuable resources on reporting it. If the person is calling you every hour and screaming abuse about dead relatives and giving you death threats, then do so..but if someone is merely winding you up on an irregular basis, then ignore it..[/quote']

I'd disagree. A person doesn't have to be screaming down the phone to be a nuisance caller. Even if it's only every once in a while or so it's still annoying and can be stressful.

If you type in *#30# and press call on your phone....(mobile phone) its a code to show you with held numbers......sometimes works too.....but 99% of the time it doesnt....thats star hash 30 hash......call.......should come up with something to tell you it has worked or not....

It came up "Service activated"

What does it do exactly? Does it just override the withheld action and make the number come up anyway? Or do you have to dial 1471 after the number calls?

I've been getting prank calls on my mobile every couple of days of late so I wouldn't mind knowing how it works... :)

Cheers.

It came up "Service activated"

What does it do exactly? Does it just override the withheld action and make the number come up anyway? Or do you have to dial 1471 after the number calls?

I've been getting prank calls on my mobile every couple of days of late so I wouldn't mind knowing how it works... :)

Cheers.

i'm getting the same message - kinda. it comes up saying 'CLIP Active' on my one?

It is a household phone so could I easily contact bt?

As an ex-BT faults advisor I can tell you theres not a huge deal that can be done... the only options that you can try are...

1) Annonymous caller rejection - I believe can be activated free in these circumstances and simply will not let anybody that has number withold on call you. This does not work against tele-marketing etc as they're numbers are 'unavailable' (behind a switch board normally) which is different from withhelled.

2) Choose to refuse - allows you to block the last number to call you even if you cant see the number (ie you dial a code after thay prank you and it'll block that number from there on.) Take into account though if they're doing it from more than one number you'll have to keep blocking lots. If I remember rightly you can get this free for 3 months, and again doesnt work on unavailable numbers.

3) Get your number changed.

To be honest, there is not a lot that can be done, except option 3 basically because the law won't allow it due to damm liberals and their 'privacy' laws. There is a dedicated body that has been setup to offer advice on the problem called the Nuisance Calls Bearau, which is often where BT send you anyway... the number is 0800 661 441, normal office hours if I remember rightly.

BT cannot give you the number of whos been calling you, and Im fairly certain cant even tell who it was anyway.

Anyway, i'm a little 151-rusty, so I'll sent Andrew/Scorge on here later with more info.