aberdeen-music

The Least Talked-About Band in Aberdeen

Alan Cynic

I was chatting to Cavern Mike a couple of days ago, and he reckoned his band, the Downroads are Aberdeen's least talked about. I reckon they're ace, producing a fine driving blend of Freakbeat and Psych.

Where else can you see the legendary (no joking...he's in tons of books) Lenny Helsing on drums, Jim Wilkie on guitar (Grampian TV made a prog about him), steady-as-a-rock Andy Bass on bass and the plague of locusts man himself, Mike Napier on guitar????

Next time you're in the Cavern tell Mike you've talked about the Downroads......he'll be so shocked he might give you discount!!!!!!! :band:

• 5 weeks later...
The Downroads are playing tonight at the Tunnels.....a good opportunity to check them out' date=' and to inspect a great new venue. :band:[/quote']

Go along and annoy them by shouting 'Andy Bass, you're other band is better!'. Should recieve a cold icey stare and a wry smile from him... Top band though and I'm only kidding (but do it)

Jim (Staccato Set) Ewen

I'd have to make it a rhyming chant........

"Andy Bass' date=' Andy Bass, he's the coolest in this place

Watch his fingers...see how fast they go

And he's more cute than twoback joe!!" :D

(to the tune of 'This old man')[/quote']

Rubbish! So not up to your usual standard Alan!!!! What a shocking use of Grammar also too... And from a teacher as well may I add also!

My Ma thinks I'm cute! 8)

I remember the Downroads from OId Drakes - great band - Not the sort of thing i'd usally listen to, but certainly in the live environment they were brilliant. I distinctly remember getting quite drunk after seeing them once and raving about them all night afterwards.

That programme on Psychedelic Jim had to be seen to be believed.........

Yeh but people dont tend to take kindly to self promotion! well some people anyway the minorities in these forums that dont have a good word to say bout anythin or anyone!

A long forgotten fact: It's possible to talk about your band without the aid of a messageboard.

O yeah, I remember seeing them in Drakes a while back, they were really good... and I got a free badge, which I passed onto a girl I know on the London Underground, which she then pinned to her bag and still to this day I believe walks around London Town wearing her Downroads badge.

I bet the Downroads are talked about in London all the time!