aberdeen-music

2014/2015 Season Thread

Woodsinho

John 'Budgie' Stewart, Derek Young, Chris Clark, Richard Foster, Calvin Zola, Eugene Dadi...

Are you being SERIOUS?

Dadi destroyed Celtic when we beat them 2-0 at Pittodrie to win our 9th home league game in a row. That's one of my all time favourite games at Pittodrie.

Although I agree Clark (second spell) and Foster were pish, they're nae strikers.

Now I think about it, Paul Sheerin was absolute quality when he first arrived, then turned pish.

Steven Craig was also awful.

I love a five-at-the-back-with-wing-backs.

I'd have every team play that way tbh. I've said before in the 13/14 Season Thread that I thought that before they signed Mata, United should've played that way last season. Obviously Kagawa was replaced with Mata.

De Gea

Ferdinand - Vidic - Evans

Rafael-------------------------------------Evra

Carrick - Fellaini

Mata

RvP - Rooney

That defence needs a sweeper. Jones can play the Beckenbaur role, but better, obviously.

Van Gaal is currently playing 3-5-2 with the Netherlands, or has been doing in recent friendlies. Maybe he'll bring it to United, though he seems to employ a different system everywhere he goes.

If he wants to go with a back 3, he better buy some more centre backs, as United only have 3 at the minute, and they're all injury prone.

Needs a left back too. And a whole new midfield.

Looks to be a reasonable appointment for Celtic that fits with their strategy of buying promising but untested players (now managers) in the hope that they'll ship them on for big bux later on.

Seems to have a reputation for developing players which also suits the above.

Easiest job in world football tho?  :angel:

Looks to be a reasonable appointment for Celtic that fits with their strategy of buying promising but untested players (now managers) in the hope that they'll ship them on for big bux later on.

Seems to have a reputation for developing players which also suits the above.

Easiest job in world football tho? :angel:

Domestically yes, but there's huge pressure on Celtic managers to perform in Europe. I'm not really sure why anyone would expect us to get to the last-16 of the CL every season, but hey.

Who does expect that?

According to a lot of the stories I've read, we're a Champions League club (okay) and that we should be aiming to do well in that competition (?).

Also, inevitable comparisons to Paul Le Guen, from the likes of insufferable blue-nose prick Graham Spiers.

Got to say, I'm pleasantly surprised by that appointment by Celtic.  I hadn't heard of the guy until right now, but I'm glad they haven't wheeled out some old school British manager that's out of a job and recognising Celtic as a stepping stone club, which really, is what it is these days.  Get young talent in, at not that much cost, move it on at a profit.

Obviously, they're not going to shift this guy on at a profit if he's on a rolling contract, but equally, they're not going to employ some established manager on a rolling contract.

Interesting times ahead (maybe).

I agree with waltz though in relation to it seeming like a very easy job but being a bit of a poisoned chalice.  My deluded Celtic supporting father was trying to tell me the other day that Malky Mackay would be the best man for the job.  He couldn't quite grasp my argument that Malky Mackay wouldn't want to jeapordise his reputation by taking on the Celtic job.  How could a guy like Mackay enhance his reputation at Celtic?  Winning the league is absolutely expected and winning it at a canter is expected.  Lennon only won the league last season and his season was seen as a failure, despite his team qualifying for the CL group stages.  Basically, a successful season at Celtic these days (without the huns in the mix) is to win the treble and do well in the CL.  Doing well in the CL is subjective, I guess.  But getting papped out in the group stages despite being underdogs to do anything else is seen as a failure.

So, yeah - Malky Mackay would have needed to clean up domestically and probably guide the team to the last 16 or even better to really enhance his reputation.  The second part of that would be very difficult indeed.  The first part - on paper should be doable, but a couple of bad games (or great performances from the opposition) and the cups are gone.

I think that left Celtic with just a couple of options.  Either go for a relatively young / untested manager or get some old fucker looking for an easy ride for a couple of seasons.  They've actually shown a bit of ambition by appointing the young / untested manager.

I still hope they get relegated though.

I just cant understand anyone expecting a treble every season ontop of getting out of the CL group stages. Especially for a club like Celtic, just getting to the groups is a huge achievement from their starting position. 

As a Dons fan, you understand that.

Some Celtic fans expect far more than they should.

I can remember my Dad (deluded as fuck when it comes to Celtic and Liverpool...) last year saying something along the lines of:

"Aye, they could definitely get second in the CL group.  All they need to do is beat Ajax home and away, beat Milan at home and anything from Barcelona at home or Milan away, and they'll be through."

He actually said that.  And meant it.  He was genuinely looking at Ajax as a given 6 points.  I tried to reason with him that they'd do well to beat Ajax at home and get anything at all from the rest of the games.  Guess who was right...

Celtic have done outstandingly well in recent years in Europe and recorded some incredible victories and that unbeaten run at home in Europe was ridiculous.  The problem with that is that an awful lot of Celtic fans still see all home games as 3 points.  My Dad probably said something like "We've beaten Milan and Barcelona at home before."  Sorry, Dad, you're right.  18 points awaits. 

Are you being SERIOUS?

Dadi destroyed Celtic when we beat them 2-0 at Pittodrie to win our 9th home league game in a row. That's one of my all time favourite games at Pittodrie.

The snowball game and the caterpillar at the end! I remember Dadi doing that spin past Balde. That was epic, Balde had no idea what had just happened.

_1725468_petrovsnowball300.jpg

Edited by Skacel
  • Upvote 1

To move away from the Lee Miller argument...

Best Aberdeen striker ever?

Benny Yorston. If you go by statistics anyway.

Back to an earlier point, I didn't really enjoy the Calderwood era at Aberdeen at all. I remember enjoying the start as we got back to winning ways but I was away for the big highlights and my lasting memories of his reign is watching turgid football and just being desperate to see him leave. His period in charge helped destroy our attendance figures and they have never recovered. 

Give me uncle Ebbe over him any day of the week.

• Upvote 1

The snowball game and the caterpillar at the end! I remember Dadi doing that spin past Balde. That was epic, Balde had no idea what had just happened._1725468_petrovsnowball300.jpg

I was 12 years old and had never experienced atmosphere at a football match like that before. We beat them with 10 men too as Derek Whyte was red carded; the Mackie tackle on Rab Douglas was also phenomenal.

Back to current football though...I think it's a pretty bold appointment by Celtic. I look forward to seeing how they get on, and he seems like quite a likeable character which is odd for a Celtic gaffer.