aberdeen-music

2014/2015 Season Thread

Woodsinho

I think a change of formation could be great for Aberdeen at the moment. Towards the end of the season, they really struggled against compact midfields and defences who were content to sit deep and stifle Aberdeen's attack. I wouldn't necessarily say that managers have completely figured Aberdeen out, but they've definitely found ways to counter the current system.

I love a five-at-the-back-with-wing-backs.

I'd have every team play that way tbh. I've said before in the 13/14 Season Thread that I thought that before they signed Mata, United should've played that way last season. Obviously Kagawa was replaced with Mata.

De Gea

Ferdinand - Vidic - Evans

Rafael-------------------------------------Evra

Carrick - Fellaini

Mata

RvP - Rooney

I love a five-at-the-back-with-wing-backs.

I'd have every team play that way tbh. I've said before in the 13/14 Season Thread that I thought that before they signed Mata, United should've played that way last season. Obviously Kagawa was replaced with Mata.

De Gea

Ferdinand - Vidic - Evans

Rafael-------------------------------------Evra

Carrick - Fellaini

Mata

RvP - Rooney

I find it to be an odd philosophy that adding an extra defender would allow Utd to accomodate the star players in their favoured positions. The work rate of a wing back has to be exceptional though, I think Rafael would last a campaign in that position but Evra wouldn't be able to play every game like he has done for the past 8 years or so. New left back is definitely needed moving forward in any case.

EDIT: I totally agree with the above formation, my first sentence perhaps comes across as a bit cynical.

Edited by givemeasmile

I love a 3-5-2 formation too.

If done well, it used to totally boss against a team playing in the traditional 4-4-2 formation.  I've played in 3-5-2 at juvenile and amateur level and it was always massively enjoyable.  Very fluid football and always winning the midfield battle.  It could perhaps be even more effective against the current trend of teams playing 4-5-1 or 4-4-1-1 formations.  The argument that there's no need to have 4 at the back against 1 or 2 strikers.

I used to find that whenever I played full back, it would totally depend on what side the second striker was predominantly playing as to whether or not I ended up defending the whole game or charging forward the whole game.  It was brilliant when the striker spent most of his time on the other side, which allowed me to push forward and effectively man-mark the wide midfielder when defending but being able push forward and join the attacks.  A 3-5-2 formation sorts that shit out.  3 at the back are all out and out defenders.  Wingbacks mark the wide men when in defence but also join in on the attacks.  One out and out sitting midfielder to mop things up, take the ball off the defenders and start attacks.  The other two can attack / defend / whatever really - it's really fluid.  And plenty of space up top for the 2 strikers to interlink, go out to the wing, drop in, whatever.

If you haven't already worked it out, I hate 3-5-2 as a formation.

3-5-2 some nice nostalgia but not a great idea at all these days. For most teams anyway, perhaps there is the odd team who have a certain set of players it will suit but there's a reason you don't see any of the top sides in Europe playing it.

A back three is just a waste when most teams are only playing one main striker. A team playing 4-3-3 with good wide men can pin the wing-backs back in defence and leave their team outnumbered in midfield as the opposition full backs push on.

There was a weekend not so long ago where 14 out of Serie A's 20 clubs lined-up with three along the back (plus wingbacks). Juventus use this system extensively, though Droid's probably right about bigger CL clubs, because Juve have failed miserably in Europe.

It definitely requires a certain balance in the CB positions. Juventus have Chiellini, Barzagli and Bonucci. Chiellini and Barzagli are pretty similar in that they're both pretty gung-ho, though Barzagli is a tad less mental (and good at football) than Chiellini. Bonucci is more of a risk-taker who'll take more risks with his passes and often dribbles the ball out of defence, he makes a few mistakes because of this, and definitely benefits from having two brutes to cover for his errors. I think it's a good system if you have a technically excellent CB who looks a bit ropey in a flat back four, because Bonucci looks excellent in this system. David Luiz springs to mind.

I think Flood is a strange one, he goes from being brilliant to comically bad, on a weekly basis.  Certainly more often good, I should add.  It's certainly contentious.  I'd imagine Flood would start ahead of Robson in Del's view. 

I'm hungover today and can't articulate. 

Only if Miller suddenly developed an ability to find a red shirt with a knockdown.  Fucking terrible player.

GTFO. One of the most technically gifted strikers we've had in a long, long time. Lack of pace let him down along with a tendency to fall over, but when you think about the quality of strikers we have had in the last 10-15 years he's up there for me as one of the best.

• Upvote 2

I agree with Adam EW - I thought Miller was very good.  Painfully slow and a diving cunt, but the skills were there.

He also had a great presence about him.  I remember being at Pittodrie watching Aberdeen v Celtic a few seasons ago and whichever big brute defender was marking Lee Miller never got near him.  Miller won every single high ball, whether on his head or controlling and knocking the ball on.

GTFO. One of the most technically gifted strikers we've had in a long, long time. Lack of pace let him down along with a tendency to fall over, but when you think about the quality of strikers we have had in the last 10-15 years he's up there for me as one of the best.

Aye exactly, he was brilliant for us, his hold up play was second to none when he was on form, if he had a bit more pace about him he would be been lethal. 

I think Flood is a strange one, he goes from being brilliant to comically bad, on a weekly basis.  Certainly more often good, I should add.  It's certainly contentious.  I'd imagine Flood would start ahead of Robson in Del's view. 

I'm hungover today and can't articulate. 

I think Flood is one of our most important guys, the work rate he puts in, even if he is not having a great game is vital to how we go about things. Him and Jack give the rest of the team the chance to get forward more, id have him over Robson in the starting line up for next season, with Robson being used more off the bench, but that means taking in a right winger.