aberdeen-music

2014/2015 Season Thread

Woodsinho

Boyd would be a great signing for either Aberdeen or United. I doubt we'll chuck money at him, though, probably be offered a similar basic to Vernon.

He might be guaranteed more starts with United, although Ciftci might have something to say about that in the same way Rooney will for us. United also has the draw of being that bit closer to the central belt.

If Aberdeen can secure Boyd and another creative player (probably a winger), we'll be in very, very good shape for next season (let's hope Boyd is too).

Would be a superb signing for us, but I'm not holding my breath.  Boyd gives the impression that he's thinking very carefully about where he's going to move next and I think time may be against him. We need a team in place quickly for Europa qualifying and I think McInnes will be looking at a few options but is content for this one to be in the papers as a smokescreen.  Not saying we're not after Boyd, we'd be stupid not to be, but he won't be the only name on the list.

I sincerely hope that he doesn't turn out for the Huns next season.  That would disappoint me a great deal.

I dont think he will, he will be looking for first team football and the scum have Bell already. Hopefully he gets himself back fit, easily out best keeper when he is fit. 

Yeah, I don't think it's even close. I rate both of them, but Gordon was on a completely different level to McGregor, who can still be incredibly ropey at times. Can't really think of something McGregor does (did?) better than Gordon, in fact. Apart from not getting injured.

I think McGregor has brilliant reflexes, but he is not the same class as Gordon was at his peak. There is a good reason Sunderland parted with so much money for him imo. 

Boyd to the dons? I think id be happy with that. He can score goals, but im not sure he'd want to come and play second fiddle to Rooney. 

I think McGregor has brilliant reflexes, but he is not the same class as Gordon was at his peak. There is a good reason Sunderland parted with so much money for him imo. 

Boyd to the dons? I think id be happy with that. He can score goals, but im not sure he'd want to come and play second fiddle to Rooney. 

I'm not saying we SHOULD change a successful system to accomodate Boyd/Rooney, but I reckon it could be done.

I'd be interested in seeing us play a 3-5-2 with Hayes/Logan playing as attacking full backs, any 3 of Anderson/Considine/Reynolds/Taylor in the centre leaving Robson/Flood/Jack to challenge for a place in a 2 man central midfield. Play Pawlett/McGinn just in behind Rooney & Boyd and there you have it; a Dons starting 11 with genuine options and competition in almost every position. Perhaps still a bit light at full back, but that's more variety/overall quality than I've seen in years from an Aberdeen side.

Edited by givemeasmile
  • Upvote 1

Perhaps not seeing Gordon at his best for so long has made me forget how good he really was, but I've seen some unbelievable performances from McGregor in recent years.  Some matches when he's just been a brick wall and his reflexes and bravery are brilliant.

He is a complete and utter fud and can be a ticking time bomb, but I did say "at his best".

I can only really remember flashes of brilliance from Gordon and have this lingering memory of him just looking nervous between the sticks.  He seemed to lack the arrogance of someone like McGregor who just has no fear.

To be fair, I'd probably rather have Gordon in the dressing room than McGregor because I think McGregor is a dick, but between the sticks I would definitely say McGregor now and I still think I would say McGregor over Gordon at their best.  It's such a pity that Gordon went through so many injuries and we didn't get to see them compete for the Scotland number 1 jersey.  It would have been pretty tough to win it from Gordon if he'd kept going.  We possibly didn't even get to see Gordon at his best actually.

A sign things are on the up is a pre season tournament run like the Emirates Cup featuring West Ham, Espanyol and Shaktar Donesk... I am not making this up!  West Ham are bringing their under 21's. As for the others we have been promised players with first team experience but still expect it to be mostly kids but looking forward to this nonetheless.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27725827

In talks with Celtic. I guess he has no desire to play football again, then.

That has to be a sign that Celtic think Forster is off.  If Gordon has a real chance at being Celtic number 1 then it wood be a good move for him.

If Forster stays though, Gordon will have to find his best form to oust him from the number 1 jersey.  He's said in every interview I've read/heard that what he needs now is to get games under his belt.  Going to be second choice at Celtic isn't going to get him match fit.  Even when he plays, the majority of Celtic's games will be fairly quiet from a keeper's point of view.

Yeah, sounds like it could be Forster out and Gordon in.

I'm pretty pleased for him getting a move to a top club, and if it means that he's challenging for a Scotland place then all the better.

Paul Scholes has fairly changed his tune since retirement; he used to hate talking to the media. Now he's slating Rooney and claiming that Danny Welbeck should play centre midfield to tackle Andrea Pirlo?!? Sounds like somebody is trying to fuck it all up for England. I would be ecstatic if Roy Hodgson was to take heed of what he is saying.