aberdeen-music

The World Cup 2014 Thread

Woodsinho

England warm up was pretty uninspiring last night.

Particularly Gerrard Henderson midfield. Gerrard seem to revert to hoofing it forward and Henderson disappeared and played like he did before this season. If Gerrard is going to stay that deep then has to be Wilshere or Barkley next to him I reckon.

Rooney looked off it but he's been out a while so I wouldn't chastise him just yet.

Glen Johnson is awful. He was a liability all night except when his good work set up Sturridge for the one good goal of the game. Johnson's first touch is so bad at times it's laughable.

Rooney was garbage. He was garbage for most of the second half of the season for United. I can't see him lighting up the World Cup. I'd like to see him replaced with Barkley, for his explosiveness. Sturridge up top for his silky finishing, Welbz for pure energy, and either Lallana or Sterling. Rooney could probably do with a boot up the arse, and dropping him would do just that. But to fit everyone in, Rooney has to play in a position he's not good in. Despite wearing the #10, he is not a good #10.

Henderson's had a top season, but I don't think he's going to replicate it in a Hodgson system. It's just too rigid. Gerrard definitely needs more tenacity next to him in Wilshere, or Barkley if he's not being played as a forward.

After England's magnificent victory against that football giant known as Peru, I really don't see the point of even staging the world cup. may as well just give the trophy to England and cut out the middle man!*

*some bits of that message may possibly be a little tongue in cheek....

I thought Henderson had a good game, although, as sometimes happened at Liverpool, he looked better once Gerrard wasn't there.  Johnson started okay but got much worse.  He's not even the best English right-back at Liverpool, so it's kind of strange that he gets in the team.  I see Rooney as more of an 'impact substitute' than a starting player.  I think that would be the best way to use him, but I'd be astonished if that's what Hodgson actually does.

You didn't talk about how awful Glen Johnson is.

Don't ignore his awfulness.

He makes me wince. I thought he started okay, and he looked quite solid in defence, despite having the first touch of a trampoline. Then he took the shackles off, and returned to classic form. Totally headless.

Flanagan should have gone to the World Cup. Can play on both flanks, he's okay going forward, but defensively he's solid. He's got a fiery temperament and I quite like that. Nat Clyne, Carl Jenkinson or Calum Chambers would even be an upgrade on Glen Johnson.

With the squad Roy's picked, I'd play Smalling. He won't offer anything going forward, but he's solid defensively. He's not even a right back, but at least he can defend. When he does go forward, he looks like a sunday league player. Roy should pick him and demand he never runs beyond the half way line, like Fergie often did with Wes Brown.

Edited by Joda Serk

Chile came from 2-0 down to beat Egypt 3-2 in a friendly yesterday. Chile were 2-0 down after 18 minutes. Twice the suicidal high defensive line was exposed, because defending is stupid. Alexis Sanchez orchestrated the comeback, with 3 assists.

Egypt looked handy. Chelsea's Mo Salah was a constant threat, and scored Egypts first goal. Chile were a little wasteful, and the game should have been more comfortable than it was. A thrilling comeback though, deployed like soon-to-be world champions.

ABERDEEN MUSIC WORLD CUP 2014 EPIC BATTLE FOR HONOUR AND SUPREMACY

GROUP A

Brazil [MILNER]

Croatia [CAMIE]

Mexico [SKACEL]

Cameroon

GROUP B

Spain [KARMATSUNAMI]

Netherlands [MOOSE]

Chile [JODA SERK]

Australia [DELBOY1969]

GROUP C

Colombia [MR OWL PHD]

Greece 

Ivory Coast [GIVEMEASMILE]

Japan [LUCKY RATHEN]

GROUP D

Uruguay [ADAM EASY WISHES]

Costa Rica 

England [WOODSINHO]

Italy [MURR]

GROUP E

Switzerland [MATTJIMF]

Ecuador [ALKALINE]

France [CHRIS]

Honduras [WALTZ]

GROUP F

Argentina [PARANOID ANDROID]

Bosnia and Herzegovina

Iran [GHOST OF FUDGE]

Nigeria [SURFER_ROSA]

GROUP G

Germany [CAPTAIN AMERICA]

Portugal [CA_GERE]

Ghana

USA [NEEPHEID]

GROUP H

Belgium [GLADSTONE]

Algeria

Russia [JAN]

Korea Republic [SCOTTYBOY]

A lot of peoples teams played in friendlies over the weekend, so I expected this thread to be bursting with match reports. Glory supporters.

I watched the Germany/Cameroon game. It was great. Ended 2-2. Cameroon play a similar style of football to Chile. Fast phases of play, ridiculously high defensive line. They did well to draw the game, as Germany looked to be outclassing them on the ball. Cameroon attacked with a lot of pace. Hard to judge how these teams will go into the World Cup. as you can tell certain players weren't playing at full tilt. Nobody wants to get injured at this stage.

Rumours exploded on Twitter last night that Ribery was going to miss the World Cup. He was named as a sub for last nights friendly against Paraguay, but didn't come on. Hope it's not true. All the best players need to be fit. And some shite like Iran should gracefully drop out of the competition and allow Ibra and Sweden to take part. Everybody wants Ibra there.

A lot of peoples teams played in friendlies over the weekend, so I expected this thread to be bursting with match reports. Glory supporters.

I watched the Germany/Cameroon game. It was great. Ended 2-2. Cameroon play a similar style of football to Chile. Fast phases of play, ridiculously high defensive line. They did well to draw the game, as Germany looked to be outclassing them on the ball. Cameroon attacked with a lot of pace. Hard to judge how these teams will go into the World Cup. as you can tell certain players weren't playing at full tilt. Nobody wants to get injured at this stage.

Rumours exploded on Twitter last night that Ribery was going to miss the World Cup. He was named as a sub for last nights friendly against Paraguay, but didn't come on. Hope it's not true. All the best players need to be fit. And some shite like Iran should gracefully drop out of the competition and allow Ibra and Sweden to take part. Everybody wants Ibra there.

I was watching the France game and they looked pretty tidy even without Ribery and Benzema.  I'm sure Ribery will make it in the end anyway but he was never coming on last night.  They cut to him on the bench and he had his massive watch on you just knew he'd been named just for the public perception.  

The front line for France with Giroud was really good last night.  The hold up and little passes from Giroud were terrific with the midfielders France have that like to run past him.  Giroud was maddening though, he had 3/4 great chances and took none of them but his overall performance linking play and leading the line was excellent.  Total opposite of his finishing in the previous friendly.

Pogba was running the team from midfield, every time you watch him you think he's even better.

It was only an ok game in general though, a load of play acting from the South American's really broke it up and France blew the easy win with a suicidal line on a freekick near the end.  They tried to hold the line about 5 yards outside the box when the kick was only like 30ish yards from goal.  As you'd expect the taker just dropped the ball swinging in the massive space between that line and the goalie and the tiniest tough took it in.  Madness!  I think Lloris could have done a bit better but you could see it coming a mile away.

We had a useful warm up against Senegal, but it's a shame that our first half dominance and two-goal lead was pegged back.  It was mostly down to managerial tinkering and changing the line up around and so at least Pekerman knows who his best team is.  And that's going to be the team that's going to

Win

Spain beat Bolivia 2-0. I didn't see the game, but the possession stats seem typically Spanish, 74%. Bolivia didn't even get a shot on target. 

They didn't have any Real Madrid or Atletico players in the team, so I can only imagine that they'll be exponentially better against the titans of El Salvador.

That was Belgium's first win in 4 games. What happened to the unstoppability in the previous 4 games?

If you're going to come in all billy big balls, at least get your facts straight.  We smashed World Beaters Luxembourg 5-1 last week.

We weren't trying in the previous 4 matches.  Just getting warmed up now.