aberdeen-music

The World Cup 2014 Thread

Woodsinho

I'm procrastinating terribly right now. Hopefully some of you are bored at work and can take advantage because I've just put together a little world cup quiz.

1. Who holds the record for most goals scored in one world cup tournament?

2. How many teams competed in the first world cup?

3. In which world cup did North Korea famously beat Italy?

4. In which world cup was the current trophy first used?

5. Brazil will become the fifth country to host the tournament for the second time, name the other four. (half point for each)

6. Which player has scored more world cup goals, Klinsmann, Batistuta or Lineker?

7. How many world cup finals have been settled by a penalty shoot out?

8. What is the highest scoring world cup match?

9. In the 1954 final, hosts West Germany won 3-2 in a match known as the Miracle of Bern because they beat the clear favourites, a team which was then unbeaten for a record 32 matches. Which team was this?

Answers in spoilers please.

1.  Fontaine

2. 3

3. 1962

4. 1974

5. Uruguay, Germany, Italy, Mexico

6. Linekar

7. 2

8. Can't even hazard a guess...

9. Uruguay

Some outrageous guessing going on in there...

I predict 4/9

Here's the answers.

1. Just Fontaine, he scored 13 goals for France in 6 matches at the 1958 world cup.

2. 13 teams. 1 group of 4 and 3 of 3. Group winners progressed to the semi-finals.

3. 1966

4. 1974

5. France 34+98, Italy 38+90, Germany 54+ 06, Mexico 70+86

6. Klinsmann with 11 goals. Both Lineker and Batistuta scored 10

7. 2 1994 + 2006

8. Austria 7-5 Switzerland in 1954. No one got this (so far) most people seemed to think of biggest victory rather than highest scoring.

9. Hungary, who had already beaten 8-3 in the first round of the tournament. The Hungarian Sandor Kocsis scored 11 goals in 5 matches in this tournament. 

1. Who holds the record for most goals scored in one world cup tournament?

Just Fontaine

2. How many teams competed in the first world cup?

An odd number. I remember that. 15?

3. In which world cup did North Korea famously beat Italy?

4. In which world cup was the current trophy first used?

5. Brazil will become the fifth country to host the tournament for the second time, name the other four. (half point for each)

Mexico, Germany, Italy. Uruguay?

6. Which player has scored more world cup goals, Klinsmann, Batistuta or Lineker?

Klinsmann

7. How many world cup finals have been settled by a penalty shoot out?

3. USA 94, Germany 06, and another one. Mexico 78?

8. What is the highest scoring world cup match?

Hungary vs somethingsomething. 10-1.

9. In the 1954 final, hosts West Germany won 3-2 in a match known as the Miracle of Bern because they beat the clear favourites, a team which was then unbeaten for a record 32 matches. Which team was this?

Hungary

9 is a weird amount of questions.

This thread is the most mega thing on AbMus in a while. GBOL, etc.

I can't wait for the World Cup now. I'll be in Orlando for the first few weeks, but that should allow me to watch a few games at a more sociable hour than in the UK. Can't wait to see my boys do the business. Expect pro-wrestling style rants, pre and post-match.

Aren't most of the kick off times pretty much perfect for a UK audience?

My biggest scheduling problem is that the first weekend is when Sonar festival is on. Bad planning on Fifa's part. Work will get in the way more during the first week than later in the tournament too, the whole thing should have just been postponed by 7 days.

There's a few 11pm GMT kickoffs, but that's only in the group stages. It's mostly 5pm and 8/9pm, except for one game, Ivory Coast vs Japan is at 2am on a Sunday morning for some reason.

Knockouts are all 5pm and 9pm. The final is at 8pm.

I have a fixture list on my desk at work.

Has anyone ever been to a world cup match? Or at least been in the host country during a tournament?

I've not and I now really regret not making the effort to go to Germany in 2006. I was saving up for another trip at the time but could probably have managed a short visit. Who knows when there will next be a world cup in western Europe. 2006 looked like a great tournament to be a fan at too. There were big screens everywhere. You could sit on the river bank in the sun and watch matches. 

I was in France during the '98 World Cup. We sat and watched the QF between Italy and France in a tiny bar in Bayeux and my Dad was placing bets with the barman throughout the game. The atmosphere after the shootout was magic. My family were staying in this huge old country house in the middle of nowhere and my brother and I played football pretty much every day. That was a great summer. 

I was gutted after that game.

One I wanted Italy to win and two I knew my bet on Vieri to be top goalscorer was doomed. Although as it turned out he and Batistuta ended up with only one less than Suker who got his sixth in the 3rd place play-off. That hardly counts. The bookies should have paid out to me.

• Upvote 1

bit late to this party as not been here a few days but will take them socceroos of the land down under if they're still available!

Can't wait, gutted am not going as my girlfriend is Brazilian but it was just not possible to get out there at this time so will be my usual armchair supporter self!

I do think Brazil are going to deliver on home soil unless they self-explode under waves of expectation.  England pens as usual.  Hardly sticking me neck out here I know!

Edited by Delboy1969

Suarez has picked up a knee injury and in danger of missing the tournament apparently, good news for Engerland!

http://talksport.com/football/liverpool-star-suarez-facing-world-cup-heartbreak-after-injuring-knee-reports-14052292268

I just gave him a ring - he's fine, all a load of shit to wind up you English.