aberdeen-music

Tips for job interviews and CV's

Moon Moon

• 2 weeks later...

Any advice for contract negotiations?

My contract runs out next summer, and the law here is that my next contract must be a so-called "without time limits" contract, which basically entitles me to a ridiculous amount of labour protection where they essentially can't fire me for anything less than gross misconduct.

Anyway, I'm in a very strong position - and I want a promotion. Anyone got any ideas on how to play this?

My contract runs out next summer, and the law here is that my next contract must be a so-called "without time limits" contract, which basically entitles me to a ridiculous amount of labour protection where they essentially can't fire me for anything less than gross misconduct.

Anyway, I'm in a very strong position - and I want a promotion. Anyone got any ideas on how to play this?

Ask for a promotion.

• Upvote 1

Essentially Philkaline is right - if you feel you deserve a promotion and it's not been forthcoming, ask - but be prepared to justify why. Do you have other options? I mean if you ask for a promotion and they say no, can you realistically look for something else in the same industry?

Do you have a good relationship with your boss? 

Well, to give some background - I work in a school, but the problem is that the next step (assistant headteacher) doesn't actually exist within our school as it's still a relatively new school. So it's not a matter of not being considered, but rather that they haven't considered such a person. I'm already the head of department, but...

In terms of other options - yep. I'm quite well qualified compared to most foreigners here, and the clincher is that they would struggle to replace me with someone similarly qualified. They know how difficult it is to find someone - and because I have responsibility for quite a few things, they would need to invest quite a lot of time and effort into training a new person. On the flip side, it would be difficult to find a job at the assistant headteacher level due to the utter ageism in society here.

My relationship is fine with my boss - so no problems there.

Would it be worth actually proposing a new job description, do you think?

• 3 months later...

Are you unemployed at the moment? If so, it might be an idea broaden your scope a little and apply for jobs that you don't really want. Even if it's data entry, warehouse, retail etc. They'll be shitty jobs, but it's work to add to your CV and it shows you have a strong work ethic. At 16(?) it's probably not wise to come off as picky. You can still keep up the job hunt for the job you actually want, whilst working for the man in some total grind.

If you're not unemployed at the moment, then just ignore the above and stick at your crappy job until you get the GREAT job.

• Upvote 1

Then again, if you're living at home and under no real pressure to move out/fend for yourself now could be your only chance to be picky for a little while.

Working full time whilst living with your parents is a total goldmine though. Hundreds of pounds of pocket money. So much swag. Young Joss here could stroll through Mastrick, flicking tenners all over the place, as if he were in a Puff Daddy video.

• Upvote 5

As well as preparing in terms of 'Here's why I think you could do with this new role', I think there would be a lot of value in you treating the conversation like an end of year review, Cloud. Sit down adn pull together the strongest possible dossier of evidence of how good a job you've done. Don't put in anything spurious or contentious but really focus on the value you've added and especially where you've gone over and obove your existing role. That will really help your case not only for why they need a deputy, but also why it should be you. If there's any sort of values framework within the organisation, try and frame your responses within that and that will help you write something that has an impact

I'm currently still in school. i did get offered a job but a lot of trouble happened with me and management (By law i can't talk about it) but i'm really wanting out of school as i hate it and the people in it. I'm only looking for a jobs in the care sector in which i can build  up my SVQ that's the cunt of a thing. i have an interview today though.

I'm currently still in school. i did get offered a job but a lot of trouble happened with me and management (By law i can't talk about it) but i'm really wanting out of school as i hate it and the people in it. I'm only looking for a jobs in the care sector in which i can build  up my SVQ that's the cunt of a thing. i have an interview today though.

Look if you're not going to talk about it what use is there in having you here? 

Spill the beans moon moon, spill.