aberdeen-music

Tips for job interviews and CV's

Moon Moon

So you're not unemployed...because you're employed by the tandoori.

Can you do more hours there?

I'd rather pimp myself out than do more hours there.

This, or why not try and get some agency work for a bit? might not be glamorous but would give you some cash.   

Agency work in what sector? most care ones you have to be 18 and i need to pay for my PVG which i cant afford right now.

I'd rather pimp myself out than do more hours there.

Agency work in what sector? most care ones you have to be 18 and i need to pay for my PVG which i cant afford right now.

Cleaning?Hospitality? Hotels will be gearing up for Xmas and always need extra staff on an ad hoc basis. Or retail as mentioned above.

You'll struggle to find agency work if you're under 18. It's not really worth it for them.

Why is your PVG taking 8 weeks? It's usually only 2 weeks at most for an application to get progressed.

I've been through 3 different interviews for Apple which has been over a month in the process. I've left my job last week and working at a cafe for the meantime as a supervisor. Which is different...

Apple would be my main goal as I've got experience in that field and love it as a day job. I had to leave my old work due to poor management and being mistreated unfairly.

I had my 3rd interview over a week ago and was told if hear back within a week, should I call up the interview over the interest of my interview or leave it? The last thing I want to do is call up and sound a bit 'desperate?'.

I've been through 3 different interviews for Apple which has been over a month in the process. I've left my job last week and working at a cafe for the meantime as a supervisor. Which is different...

Apple would be my main goal as I've got experience in that field and love it as a day job. I had to leave my old work due to poor management and being mistreated unfairly.

I had my 3rd interview over a week ago and was told if hear back within a week, should I call up the interview over the interest of my interview or leave it? The last thing I want to do is call up and sound a bit 'desperate?'.

I would leave it. From my knowledge, Apple have a pretty extensive and robust recruitment process. I would think you will hear either way regardless.

You won't receive a P45 until after your last pay, so it could well be on it's way to you now.

If you don't get that you can fill in a P46 which will stop you being emergency taxed. Apple will likely have them, or you can pick one up from the job centre in town.

Cheers, man! Here's hoping I get paid for this temp job I had for 6 days! Edited by brettthain1

Nope, it's for teaching here.

I see. Either way, for someone serious about a teaching career and who has the stamina to get the prerequisite PGCE and 2 years experience in the motherland, getting an international school job in a middle-income part of Poland is probably the cushiest route available, IMHO. Food for thought.

OR MAYBE NOT because apparently you can't just get an Int 2 in Maths by starting in November. 

So, let's amend that to looking into equivalent Maths qualifications to maybe start my PGDE in 2016 if not next year.

You may not require this advice, but as an embittered twice-declined applicant to a PDGE, I would strongly recommend using the next year or two to gain as much experience working with relevantly aged children as you can. You may already have stack loads of experience as it is, but it's something the application assessors value highly.

Good luck! More people in the world ought to be taught by Sleater-Kinney fans.

• Upvote 1

I applied twice for entry to a PGDE in primary teaching, and both times I was given the same reason - my lack of demonstrable experience working with children, which I can accept as quite fair. My second application was submitted at a time when I had arranged two weeks at Ferryhill Primary to assist on a voluntary basis, but it was scheduled for a time marginally after the application was due, and they again declined my application.

In hindsight, I don't think I'd have made a particularly good teacher, so it was probably for the best.