aberdeen-music

Needleman/Das McManus - What Is Punx?

Woodsinho

Aberdeen pop punkers Das McManus and Needleman have teamed up to put out a new split EP that asks an age old question that has troubled us all at one time or another: What Is Punx?

Do we answer it? That's for you to decide!

You can listen and download it for nothing or something here or here so put it in your ears right now and let us know what you think.

• Upvote 1

Just gave this all a listen, and really enjoyed it from start to finish.

I'm going to dive straight in with a comparison, because it was so immediate to me, and that is Das McManus remind me a lot of Superchunk. In the greatest of ways. It's literally the first time I have heard the noise of Das McManus and I totally loved it.

Needleman sound like they should be on the soundtrack to an early Kevin Smith film, especially Blue Blood. Sonically, it's pretty straight up and direct, and I really appreciated that. Pretty beastin'.

Well done to you all, and thanks for sharing! I shall download and stick on the iPod.

• Upvote 2

Needleman sound like they should be on the soundtrack to an early Kevin Smith film...

Literally the best thing anyone has ever said about any band ever as far as I'm concerned. Have you listened to the Self Titled EP? Because if not, that's a motherfucker of a coincidence!

http://needleman.bandcamp.com/track/attention-deficit-disorder-add

xx

Literally the best thing anyone has ever said about any band ever as far as I'm concerned. Have you listened to the Self Titled EP? Because if not, that's a motherfucker of a coincidence!

http://needleman.bandcamp.com/track/attention-deficit-disorder-add

xx

Hadn't heard this before! Motherfucker of a coincidence!

My girlfriend sucked thirty seven dicks.

In a row?

Thanks for the kind words, guys, I'm glad you are enjoying it.

If anyone's interested, both bands have upcoming gigs in the next couple of weeks: Needleman are playing Downstairs tomorrow and then at The Moorings next Saturday with Absolutist. Das Mc are playing Cellar 35 this Saturday with Deathcats, Min Diesel and Halfrican.

Thanks for listening :-)

Had a listen last night and really enjoyed all the tracks.  The Das stuff sounds awesome (little weird listening to it I'll be honest after leaving the band) and the Needleman tracks were good fun.  It's not a style I've ever been a big fan of but done well, as it is here, I can dig it. Phil's comment about it sounding like it belonged on a Kevin Smith soundtrack is perfect.

The Needleman vocals are out of tune almost all the way through each track. It's pretty offputting and kinda ruins my enjoyment of the songs overall.

The Das McManus stuff is pretty cool. Definitely seeing the SUPERCHUNK comparison, and I like the screeching guitar throughout.

The Needleman vocals are out of tune almost all the way through each track. It's pretty offputting and kinda ruins my enjoyment of the songs overall.

The Das McManus stuff is pretty cool. Definitely seeing the SUPERCHUNK comparison, and I like the screeching guitar throughout.

Cheers for listening. Stroopy always moans about his singing not being in tune but it works for Fat Mike and quite a few other punk singers so i've never personally been bothered by it. It's not horrendously out either, maybe just a little bit flat.

I need to give this a proper spin, not on laptop speakers, but I've given it a quick skim and what I've heard sounds grand.

Musically, Needleman nail it. What they do is totally my thing. It reminds me of RADON in alot of parts. I do think that the vocals are the only weakness though. I agree they are not wildly out, but there's a couple of moments that could have done with another take.

The DAS stuff is solid. Interesting to hear the new stuff since I left. It's banging. Jan's biddlyboos totally wail. Gary's got a good set of pipes, and a keen eye for a memorable melody. Catchy as shit. AS SHIT.

Musically, Needleman nail it. What they do is totally my thing. It reminds me of RADON in alot of parts. I do think that the vocals are the only weakness though. I agree they are not wildly out, but there's a couple of moments that could have done with another take.

Thanks Joe. Are there any bits in particular that you can point out vocally?

For me the vocals are neither one thing or the other. The out of tune-ness does really put me off (sorry to simply echo the above) and I much prefer the shouty-ness. I would personally look to emphasise the shouty vocal more and try and steer away from trying to be 'in tune', because I'm not sure that will ever do it for me.

Conveys a lot of energy, too, which suits.

I also think the bass needs more warmth but that's just being picky. I like the percussive and clickiness sound it has (it works) but just lacks a bit of depth IMO.

For me the vocals are neither one thing or the other. The out of tune-ness does really put me off (sorry to simply echo the above) and I much prefer the shouty-ness. I would personally look to emphasise the shouty vocal more and try and steer away from trying to be 'in tune', because I'm not sure that will ever do it for me.

Conveys a lot of energy, too, which suits.

I also think the bass needs more warmth but that's just being picky. I like the percussive and clickiness sound it has (it works) but just lacks a bit of depth IMO.

Thanks for the feedback Adam, much appreciated.

Bass sound-wise, improvement on the first EP?

Thanks Joe. Are there any bits in particular that you can point out vocally?

I'll give it a proper listen with headphones. Laptop speakers are quite unforgiving, so it might not sound quite as blatant via better playback.

I dig the bass tone. The percussive bass tone suits the style. It's very NOFX-like.

The DAS stuff is solid. Interesting to hear the new stuff since I left. It's banging. Jan's biddlyboos totally wail. Gary's got a good set of pipes, and a keen eye for a memorable melody. Catchy as shit. AS SHIT.

Thanks guyz! Really happy with how these songs have come out, especially since they were recorded in a super DIY fashion. Who needs more than 3 microphjones on the drums? Not Das McManus!

• Upvote 1

Had a quick listen to Needleman's Blue Blood. Agree it's a better done example of this kind of music, and this recording is way more listenable than the ramshackle demos that were up in the feedback thread before. Other than that, like Chris it's is not something I'm massively into, and it feels pretty derivative: tbh, for much of it I thought "punk Chelsea Dagger" and the guitars (and to a lesser extent the melody) in the chorus sound heavily reminiscent of those in The Offspring's Kick Him When He's Down. I guess that's unavoidable in punk though and tonnes of songs probably reuse and reference other.

• Upvote 1

OOOOOFT and moreover YASSSSSSS.

I really enjoyed the Das stuff, I'm pretty gay for the boys in the band though. I thought the Needleman songs were very well recorded but not my cup of tea, I'm 36 though so it's probably cos I'm old. One thing though, if the vocals are a struggle have you considered a different tuning? Since I started dropping my guitars to Eb I've found singing a bit easier.

• Upvote 1

Had a quick listen to Needleman's Blue Blood. Agree it's a better done example of this kind of music, and this recording is way more listenable than the ramshackle demos that were up in the feedback thread before. Other than that, like Chris it's is not something I'm massively into, and it feels pretty derivative: tbh, for much of it I thought "punk Chelsea Dagger" and the guitars (and to a lesser extent the melody) in the chorus sound heavily reminiscent of those in The Offspring's Kick Him When He's Down. I guess that's unavoidable in punk though and tonnes of songs probably reuse and reference other.

Cheers, It is difficult to do something "new" as a punk band I guess. I like the comparisons, apart from Fratellis obviously.

OOOOOFT and moreover YASSSSSSS.

I really enjoyed the Das stuff, I'm pretty gay for the boys in the band though. I thought the Needleman songs were very well recorded but not my cup of tea, I'm 36 though so it's probably cos I'm old. One thing though, if the vocals are a struggle have you considered a different tuning? Since I started dropping my guitars to Eb I've found singing a bit easier.

I'm 33 and Woods is 30 so that's no excuse Mr Blair, PUNX up!

Seriously though, thanks for the feedback. Recording is very much a steep learning curve and I'm happy I've at least made an improvement on the previous EP.

• Upvote 1