aberdeen-music

Needleman/Das McManus - What Is Punx?

Woodsinho

Thanks guyz! Really happy with how these songs have come out, especially since they were recorded in a super DIY fashion. Who needs more than 3 microphjones on the drums? Not Das McManus!

Pfft, we had one mic for ours...

The production of the songs is good. Right side of Lo-fi, without being a foggy mess of reverb etc, I get the Superchunk comparisons, and the two Das tracks were a lot more direct and abrasive than the first EP, think it's a good direction for you guys.I would like to hear Jan's guitar clearer purely because the lines sound really interesting and I think it'd contribute to the song more. Deffo a step up from the older material, good stuff.

As for Needleman's songs, I have to agree about the vocals being a little off-putting as they're mostly flat. That's not to say I think he should start singing better, but focussing on the shoutier aspect rather than the singing element to his voice would make the tracks pop a bit more. Woods' fills are awesome and the songs sound very good for the type of aesthetic yer going for. Really like Please Don't Jump.

Good work guys!

Cheers for the feedback gents.

I really appreciate the vocal feedback. I feel like they're a big step in the right direction - when I recorded them I felt like I was cutting loose but hearing them in the full mix I realise I could have given it another 30% more on the SHOUTING LIKE FUCK front. But anyway, criticising a punk band for having flat vocals is like criticising a duck for quacking. Also - the three tracks were recorded vocally in one take each, so I'm happy with the result in that respect. Time was more of a factor that I'd have liked but it feels like a leap forward from Self-Titled and I'm looking forward to taking what we've learned forward for the upcoming LP this year.

Glad Please Don't Jump is getting some love - it's a really personal song for me and one that we worry sticks out of the set a little too much.

xx

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gxt73vfnex8t7xu/20140118_210723.mp4

Above is a link to a video to our first live performance of new song "Not my Words", from last night's Cool Your Jets show with Halfrican, Min Diesel and Deathcats. Big thanks to Jayne at the Forte Music School for recording us!

• Upvote 4

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gxt73vfnex8t7xu/20140118_210723.mp4

Above is a link to a video to our first live performance of new song "Not my Words", from last night's Cool Your Jets show with Halfrican, Min Diesel and Deathcats. Big thanks to Jayne at the Forte Music School for recording us!

loved this last night.

p.s. check your band's messages.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll admit I didn't listen initially because you guys cite a particular vein of punk as an influence that has just never appealed but I gave them a go....I liked them much more than the stuff you posted previously, the riffs are great and in places reminds me of something from Offspring' 'Smash' album, so thats good, its one of my favourite albums. I didn't find the vocals too bad or flat tbh but they were best on 'Please Don't Jump' I would say, kind of reminiscent of SLF and more raspy throughout, the other songs kind of veered between raspy and clean and it was more distracting. I think something needs beefed up for me, more thick bass tone and possibly something to really make the guitar go yaaaaargh. Based on this I would certainly give you guys a try live now.

As for the Das tracks they are decent, I really liked 'Sex Cauldron', the opening sounds like something off Dinosaur Jr's 'Where You Been' album. I sometimes struggle with the vocal style a wee bit, I don't want to sound critical but the lad has a real manly rock voice which I sometimes think is too much for this style of music and could maybe be held back a bit, a la the recent 'Molly's Lips' cover. I like Claire's girly backing vocals too.

Is it possible to still get hold of a copy of the last Das EP? I went to listen to mine earlier and it somehow got cracked :(

• Upvote 1