aberdeen-music

Coffee Wankers

Lemonade

What does this mean?

He's probably referring to the "bloom".  Which is the creamy froth that develops when you heat coffee grounds in water.  It's usually a sign that you've made a good cup and most easily achieved by using pressure (e.g. an espresso machine):

new-red-espresso-shot_1_09-e126381873173

You can get a good bloom using a french press and other methods but I've never managed to perfect the technique.

I think it's called a crema in the biz.  I find I get greater results when I pour the water into the coffee quickly and the coffee into the cup slowly.  There's another wee nugget of wisdom there. 

I have to admit, my coffee looks and acts like bitchumen.  I love a stong cup in the morning: blows my heed aff (in a good way).  My old boss would empty AN ENTIRE BAG OF COFFEE into a 1L cafetiere.  He's no longer my boss because he died of a heart attack, however (and because moved jobs). 

Most instant is utter shit.  However, I have recently become converted to the tubs of wholebean instant.  It's basically instant coffee mixed with 10-15% of ground coffee.  Just enough to make the end result taste a lot more like proper coffee.  Massive improvement on nescafe.

Have you tried Nescafe Azera? I can't stand Nescafe, but Azera is decent for an instant. You get a bit of Crema on the top too, which is probably a little bit artificial, but it's certainly the most drinkable instant I've had.

Have you tried Nescafe Azera? I can't stand Nescafe, but Azera is decent for an instant. You get a bit of Crema on the top too, which is probably a little bit artificial, but it's certainly the most drinkable instant I've had.

I haven't tried it but it's the same type of thing I was talking about in my post. I went for the Carte Noire Instinct.  The percentage of whole ground coffee (rather than freeze dried) in it was the same as the rest of them but it was a bit cheaper at the time.  There's loads of them all with identical percentages of freeze dried and whole ground in the mix and with identical packaging. They're probably all made in the same factory but get different brands stamped on the tin.

I was just firing into a cafetiere a minute ago and another top tip came to mind:  cleaning them out can be a messy business, but the best method of disposal of the used grounds is to blast it down the shitter so you don't clog your sink.

Don't worry about cleaning the loo too thoroughly afterwards, as you will return.

I'd advise heating up the cup first too - I always pour a wee bit of hot water into it whilst the coffee is brewing in my cafetiere.  I always heat the cafetiere up first too: my reasoning being that the machine always had to be hot (especially the group handles) otherwise the crema was shite and the coffee didn't taste it's "best".

The crema is affected by how fresh the grind is, what kind of beans you've used (robusta produces more crema than aribica) and how long the coffee brews for.  When at a coffee shop, if you ever get an espresso that doesn't have crema, or it's dark brown, then your coffee is burnt/has been sitting for too long.

• Upvote 1

Amazon for about that much. I use it most days now. Although I try not to do indulge in the condensed milk part each time coz I don't want to be a fat cunt with nae teeth.

I haven't tried it iced actually. I can't imagine it being bad.

Vietnam is hot as shit, obviously, so that's the prevalent way to drink it over there; forget about about a big steaming mug of coffee. When drunk "hot" (lukewarm really, for whatever reason, probably the high proportion of milk) it's again really small volume and concentrated though.

Once roasted, how long do coffee beans generally stay fresh for? I assume they stay fresh longer than ground coffee, no?

Beans definitely keep their flavour longer. I think they stay at their best for a month, although the more recently the better apparently. I've heard of people keeping them in the freezer too.

Once roasted, how long do coffee beans generally stay fresh for? I assume they stay fresh longer than ground coffee, no?

Well when I went to Costa Academy, we were told that once ground, they are fine for about 45 minutes before they start to dry out (in the machine).  We kept an open bag of coffee beans for a day, when stored in the fridge.  Any ground coffee from that day was binned.  It was just good practice to only grind what you needed, when it was nearing closing time.

I haven't got a grinder, so I buy pre-ground and I just make sure the bag is wrapped up tightly and kept in the fridge.  It seems to last for a good while.