aberdeen-music

Coffee Wankers

Lemonade

I love the first comment starting with "Technique?" and then everyone chucking along with some actual technique. I was sure there must have been some good ways to get the best out of it. I got told the thing about putting some hot water in it before actually making the coffee, apparently heats up the container and rinses out old granules to get as fresh a taste out of your brew. Sounds legit. 

A warm cafetiere means that the coffee doesn't go cold whilst it's brewing. Makes a big difference.

Do you grind your own bean, or buy ground? I like to grind my own. Pre-ground is very fine, and a fine ground can clog up your press pretty quickly. I give a few quick pulses in the grinder, so it's coarse and scruffy. Probably some bits of half-bean in there amongst the ground. Much friendlier on the filter.

A warm cafetiere means that the coffee doesn't go cold whilst it's brewing. Makes a big difference.

Do you grind your own bean, or buy ground? I like to grind my own. Pre-ground is very fine, and a fine ground can clog up your press pretty quickly. I give a few quick pulses in the grinder, so it's coarse and scruffy. Probably some bits of half-bean in there amongst the ground. Much friendlier on the filter.

I haven't bought coffee back home for a while so maybe it's the same now but over here it's popular to grind your own in the coffee aisle of the supermarket. They have a bunch of big grinders set up and you can blast away till your heart's content. I like a fine grind that acts like sand when it comes into contact with water - I like my coffee like my orange juice... with bits.

There are a few things that Britain needs to sort out r.e. coffee

- Get rid of the idea that instant coffee is anything but a 'last resort'. Every household should have some but it should only be used when you've ran out of real coffee (or if you're going camping or something). i.e. used like powdered milk.

- Introduce drip coffee as a replacement. Newsagents, corner shops, bakers and other snacky places could just set up a little corner with a drip coffee pot, changed regularly, and customers just help themselves and pay a quid on their way out. Sometimes you don't want to spend 3 quid on a fancy espresso drink but it seems like in britain you don't really have an alternative.

People talk about coffee having this wanky culture around it, and to an extent that's true with all the half-caff, grande, soy machiattochino type stuff, but in actual fact there's a middle ground between the espresso bar world and the moo and two nescafe gold blend world, and that is just drinking decent drip/cafetiere coffee and not getting worked up about it. I think the US really nails it in that respect. 

• Upvote 1

I remember a Stripey-heavy coffee thread in the past. Poor modding. Please de-dupe

I did not remember this. However a quick search brings up 2 threads, both of which I posted in. Do you want me to merge them into  a giant Coffee thread or shall we start a fresh pot?

http://www.aberdeen-music.com/topic/40173-coffee/?hl=%2Bcoffee

http://www.aberdeen-music.com/topic/34953-the-perfect-cup-of-coffee/?hl=%2Bcoffee

Also this one.... which isn't so good.

http://www.aberdeen-music.com/topic/9155-coffee/?hl=%2Bcoffee

Actually the second link is kind of old. Actually they're both really old. Fuck that. Offer withdrawn.

I got a coffee at Costa (?) in union square last week while killing some time. Made the mistake of choosing a medium, it was fucking huge. Struggled to finish it, I can't get my head round the amount of coffee some people drink every day. I like coffee but I probably only have one every two weeks on average. Never at home, always when I'm out somewhere. Somewhere that basically just offers this

69ea47d921730034c4dd89727c3251c1.jpg

this

5-cortado-wiki_-Tamorlan.jpg

or 

karlas%20cafe%20con%20leche.JPG

Nice and small and I don't need to use 15 words to order one.

Do you work for Talisman?

I work in Talisman house and their coffee machines are shite.  Filter coffee ftw.  I guess they'd need a few, mind, as there's about 150-200 people per floor. 

My technique is simple.  Free pour coffee into the pot, no need for spoons.  however much ends up in the caffetiere is the right amount.  Instead of stirring, push and pull the press up and down around three times - no need for spoons - and then leave to brew with the filter just under the coffee line, so a decent creme accumulates.  Pour into a huge mug. 

• Upvote 1