aberdeen-music

Coffee

Soda Jerk

Right, so I just got myself a Cafetiere. I would like your coffee recommendations, as I haven't a clue where to start. I've just wanted to make my own real coffee for ages, since instant coffee tastes like puddle water.

I'm gonna go look in that coffee shop just off Belmont St. If that fails, Sainsburys seem to have a decent range.

So, whats good? Ground coffee preferably. I don't have a grinder. Not sure if I intend on getting one. I've heard the cheap ones are garbage, and I should be spending upwards of 50 on one... No thanks.

Guest idol_wild

There used to be an amazing coffee thread on here. One of the very few threads where Stripey contributed something genuinely positive and useful, if I remember correctly.

I can't be bothered searching for it, but I'm sure it can be found.

Right, so I just got myself a Cafetiere. I would like your coffee recommendations, as I haven't a clue where to start. I've just wanted to make my own real coffee for ages, since instant coffee tastes like puddle water.

I'm gonna go look in that coffee shop just off Belmont St. If that fails, Sainsburys seem to have a decent range.

So, whats good? Ground coffee preferably. I don't have a grinder. Not sure if I intend on getting one. I've heard the cheap ones are garbage, and I should be spending upwards of 50 on one... No thanks.

mc beans off belmont street, you want to try some blue sumatra (aka blue canoe)

. One of the very few threads where Stripey contributed something genuinely positive and useful, if I remember correctly.

He still managed to be pretentious... about a hot drink of all things.

My advice bout coffee is try as many different types as u can and ull soon find the one u like. The cheapo supermarket ones are just as good as some of the gourmet ones, its all a question of personal taste.

You can get a decent grinder in Macebans for about 20-30 quid as well.

They also have a coffee menu and will happily talk you through it and help you find something you like. Beware though, they drink coffee all day and they are all wired and twitchy as fuck!

I prefer my coffee percolated to cafetiere like, it tastes smoother and richer.

Twinings Coffee Blend going for 1.50 for 227g in Morrisons right now. It's not too disgusting, either. I bought 8 packs.

I usually call bullshit on any ground coffee that claims it's suitable for percolators and cafetierres as I find that the grind is too fine for the latter but I can get a good strong cup out of this one with not too much silty business in the bottom of the cup.

Guest droid

I buy from these guys all the time,great value and prompt delivery.Coffee of the month is rather nice.:up:Algerian Coffee Stores.I got a grinder from John Lewis for about 20,freshly ground coffee is far nicer[imo].

Guest droid

if you order from the Algerian coffee store,there is an option on how you want it ground ....filter etc.8-).Like i said freshly ground coffee tastes better[to me]

So, do packs of ground coffee usually state how coarse they are, or if they are suitable for cafetieres?

It should say on the pack but the only supermarket brand I've seen that has a separate grind for percolators and cafetierres is Douwe Egbert.

Taylor of Harrogate's Rich Italian.

Affordable and delicious. Most of their stuff is way decent and won't break the bank.

Taylors of Harrogate | Coffee | Fairtrade Coffee | Decaff Coffee

I second this notion. Their "Lazy Sunday" coffee is pretty excellent too; it's smoother that a very smooth thing, great for those days when you can't be arsed doing anything but mope around the house. I'm not a massive expert or anything, but most of the bags that you can pick up at the supermarket are pretty decent (and affordable too).

I have to agree with everyone who has mentioned Mac Beans on little belmont street. Brilliant and reasonably priced shop, with very knowledgeable staff and a great range of coffee, teas and accessories for brewing.

Although i am partial to a nice cappuccino or latt i must agree that black and no sugar is the best way to drink coffee, and nice and strong :D

And as for the fridge/freezer debate i agree that keeping it in the fridge does seem to keep it fresher, and for the more special coffee's i have the freezer seems to keep them in tip top condition for those days where i feel like something different :up:

so to summarise, i <3 coffee