aberdeen-music

Rate the albums you have listened to today.

Paranoid Android

Born_into_Trouble_as_the_Sparks_Fly_Upwa

Born into Trouble as the Sparks Fly Upward  -  The Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra & Tra-La-La Band

Me and the missus have been raking through the C.D box recently and sticking albums on that we've not listened to in a while. This got stuck on last night. Still can't really understand why I haven't listened to it in a while. Beautiful, haunting music. You can even listen to it for free on Constellations website. http://cstrecords.com/cst018/

10/10

Shad - Flying Colours

Murr off 'ere suggested it in the Hip Hop thread and it's a beaut. I must've listened to the whole album about 4 times now. It's probably a very good 'introductory' modern hip hop album. I'm not sure what I mean by that to be honest but if anyone doesn't know where to start with modern hip hop and thinks it's all lil wayne, it'd be a good album to listen to. The production gets a little boring at times (a lot of synthy strings) but his lyrics are great.

• 1 month later...

A Tribe Called Quest - Low End Theory

10/10 awesome classic

A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Marauders 

10/10 awesome classic

De La Soul - 3 Feet High and Rising

10/10 awesome classic

The Beastie Boys - Pauls Boutique

Only just stuck this on but I can tell you that it is an awesome classic and i will rate it .........10/10

• 8 months later...
This thread should not be dead. It's too good.

Rediscovering some old favourites in a quiet shift at work today:

Seven Year Bitch - Viva Zapata. I only have one other album of theirs and I like the other one better (Sick 'Em). This one is a bit lacking in energy, and isn't as balls out rocky, although the songs are a lot more personal. It improves as it goes on. A solid album.

Standout tracks - Rock A Bye, It's Too Late, Get Lit

The Gits - Frenching The Bully. I forgot how fucking ace this album is. Fast and angry throughout. Up the punx. 

Standout tracks - Slaughter Of Bruce, Wingo Lamo, Second Skin.

Shellac - Dude Incredible.

It's not a drastic change in style, it's well recorded (so fucking well recorded) and it sounds a lot like Shellac = if you like Shellac you'll really like it*.

*Someone said last night that it sounded like Led Zeppelin, if you cut out the guitar solos and lyrics about castles and bustles in hedgerows this isn't far wrong.

4/5

One new record a day #2

Faith+In+Sleep.jpg 
Prosperina - Faith in Sleep

I'll do another one for today, since I gave Megachurch a spin last night. I'd heard about this lot getting rave reviews from all over, but I've put off listening to them until today. A lot going on. Parts of it sound a bit like Jesu, then throw in a bit of Torche and even a bit of Soundgarden, and you're half way there. Big strong vocal, and a colossally smooth guitar. 3.5 outta 5.

Web
Spotify

Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon. I doubt there will ever be another album I listen to as often as I've listened to Dark Side Of The Moon. I must know every note of it by now and it's still an incredible journey every time.

Wonder Villains - ROCKY. A more catchy and adorable power pop album I haven't heard in many a year. So loveable. Unashamedly simple, catchy fun. Terrific band. And it has a song about Gianfranco Zola. Soda Jerk, you should make this your new album of the day tomorrow.

Standout tracks - TV, 33, Zola.

Ghostface Killah - 12 Reasons To Die. Pretty good album. Some really lush production, nice beats and Ghostface is always good value. Gets better on side 2.

Standout tracks - I Declare War, The Rise Of The Ghostface Killah, Murder Spree.

Edited by Lucky Rathen

These are yesterdays albums but FUCK YOUR RULES MAN.

Haunted Hearts - Initiation. Kind of a scuzzy pop album. A bit like the Raveonettes but less awful. I really like the songs, nice pop songs with fuzzy guitars and whatnot, I always enjoy the album when its on but the songs are immediately forgettable. I listen to this album a lot and I don't know if I could hum a riff of it about half an hour after listening. I'm making this album sound shit but it isn't. Summary - listen to this album.
Standout tracks - Initiate Me, Something That Feels Bad Is Something That Feels Good, Johnny Jupiter

Ramona Lisa - Arcadia. Electronic kind of dreamy synth stuff with female vocalist. It's OK. It reminds me of the background music in Minecraft, but with singing. Interesting but not amazing.

Elliott Smith - Figure 8. It has more of a full band sound than most of his other stuff, but far and away the best songs on the album are the acoustic ones. They suit his voice perfectly. Really well written songs. Not his best album but even not at his best he's better than most other people. I go through stage of not listening to Elliott Smith for ages, then listening to nothing but Elliott Smith. I think I might be on the cusp of an Elliott Smithathon.
Standout tracks - Say Yes, L.A, Easy Way Out,

Edited by Lucky Rathen

Ash - 1977.  Tie fighters!  Enthusiastic guitar playing!  Hidden tracks!  Jackie Chan!  Vomit!  I'm 21 again, woop woop!  Just the pick me up I needed after staying up most of this morning.  Just fucking great pop music that makes me want to sing along and it made household chores just disappear today.  Minus a star because it isn't Dark Side of the Moon or OK Computer.

New Record a Day #2

dead_to_me_moscow_penny_ante.jpg

Dead to Me - Moscow Penny Ante

Decided to go with a record by a band I'd never really heard. It was pretty great at the front and back ends but sagged a bit in the middle. Just the right amount of rough-around-the-edges but still well produced enough to never sound muddy or second-rate. Some solid songs but it gets a little repetitive and uninspired in places.

3/5

xx