aberdeen-music

Rate the albums you have listened to today.

Paranoid Android

Simon Fisher Turner The Epic of Everest: Soundtrack for the silent film of the same name from the 1920s.  Quite long with a vast range of sounds and instruments.  It's pretty amazing throughout - incredibly powerful but also quite subtle and restrained at times. Epic without ever overdoing it.  I suspect this is on track to be amongst my favourite albums of the year.  9/10.

There's a proper review and soundcloud links to the whole album here:

http://thequietus.com/articles/13752-simon-fisher-turner-the-epic-of-everest-review

Karate - 595

e0120496_1584834.jpg

Live Karate album. They sound pretty much bang on their recorded sound, maybe with a little less grit and a bit more smooth soulful jams.  Good set list.

Dillinger 4 - Midwestern Songs of the Americas

1571-d4midwestern.jpg

If you like shouty punk rock with really catchy hooks and lyrics about getting pished etc get it in your lugs.  Some of the pop culture soundbite intros can be a bit cheesy, but for the vast majority it's unstoppable.

• Upvote 1

Dillinger 4 - Midwestern Songs of the Americas

1571-d4midwestern.jpg

If you like shouty punk rock with really catchy hooks and lyrics about getting pished etc get it in your lugs.  Some of the pop culture soundbite intros can be a bit cheesy, but for the vast majority it's unstoppable.

Contender for best song titles on an album, of all time. "Honey I Shit In The Hot Tub" is a personal favourite.

A-Lot-Like-Birds--Conversation-Piece.jpg

Alot Like Birds - Conversation Piece (Click for Spotify)

I dunno what to make of this. It was recommended to me on Spotify because I'd listened to Stray From The Path. I slapped on my headphones expecting triumphant mosh. I'd even clenched my fists, ready to punch things. It's not really mosh. I don't know what it is. It's... everything. It somehow manages to mix stuff like Circle Takes The Square, Everytime I Die, Brand New, Minus The Bear, maybe even a little bit of Mars Volta. It screams and riffs, then it goes all corny-emo-pop, then it smashes into a stone cold groove. It's a bit all over the place. I don't know if I like it. There's alot of good bits, but it's all a bit much.

Recommended if you like any band ever. They probably have at least 25 seconds on this record that sounds like a band you like, followed by something you probably don't like the sound of at all.

I had written a big long post but lost it all. can't be arsed doing it again. but for the record in the last few days I've listened to albums by Cosby, Chvrches, Fleetwood Mac, Emma Louise, Elliphant, Danny Brown, DJ Koze, Spoon and Thee Oh Sees and they have all been varying degrees of good.

The world will just have to cope without my brilliantly insightful comments.

Sun and Sail Club.

http://www.spin.com/#articles/sun-and-sail-clubs-mannequin-stream-kyuss-fu-manchu/?utm_source=spintwitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=spintwitter

Ex members of Kyuss and some folks from Fu Manchu. I heard some riffs / clips and stuff before they put the whole thing up for pre release listening and it was sounding great, but it was without fucking Megatron singing on it! It would have been alright for one tune but it pretty carries on for the WHOLE FUCKING ALBUM.

S'alright. 6.5 / 10.

Edited by fertuiee

Catherine ~ Sorry!

A great 90's rock album, touching on rock, pop, psychedelica and many things inbetween. I've spoken about this album on here before, it's properly great. One thing I particularly like is the guitar tones, and lead playing, which is not something that I am usually into. The songs are great though. Nice Bee Gee's cover.

9/10

Dirty Three ~ Ocean Songs

I was listening to this at work whilst going through PVT reports. I guess it's one of the Dirty Three's more "mellow" record, but that's a pretty shit summation of the album.

8/10

Sharon Van Etten ~ Epic

Totes Legit. One of the finest albums I've heard in years, after countless listens. She's bloody amazing.

10/10

Epic really is incredible.

Jessy Lanza | Pull My Hair Back - Just my second listen to this and I'm mostly impressed by it. It all sounds lovely even if some tracks didn't make a really strong impression.

Cosy | Hands Together - At only 27 minutes long this flies by and so never outstays it's welcome. Plenty of variety within the seven tracks too.

Arctic Monkeys | AM - This wont be the first time I've written about this in here. I don't go too long without sticking it on at the moment. Great album and will be in my top 5 at the end of the year.

Ariana Grande | Yours Truly - I don't think I'll ever be won over to some of the crap on the back end of this but the first 8 tracks or so are mostly great. 

The Hold Steady ~ Boys and Girls in America

Fist pumping anthemic super rock. 9 times out of 10, anything with a hint of a Springsteen influence comes out like a musical atrocity like Bon Jovi or The Gaslight Anthem, but The Holdy Steady also have the swagger of The Replacements about them, to stop it all going to shit. Their best record, pretty flawless. Great hooks, harmonies and lots of musical theatrics. I'd love to see them live.

9/10

• Upvote 2