aberdeen-music

Rate the albums you have listened to today.

Paranoid Android

30 new albums in 30 days #21 (day 22)

Team Dresch - Captain My Captain

Team_Dresch_-_Captain_My_Captain_Front_C

90s riot grrl / punk. Sounds very dated and 90s as hell, but even ignoring that the songs just aren't there. Sounds like an angry high school band, and not a very good one. Production sounds like you're listening to it through some baked bean cans tied to a piece of string.

30 new albums in 30 days #22 (day 22)

The Phenomenauts - Escape Velocity

phenomenauts_group.jpg

Really fun upbeat album, kind of a blend of rockabilly, rock n roll, punk and electronic, with lyrics about aliens and robots and other sc-fi stuff. Infectious and energetic. Psychobilly and horrorpunk is something I go through stages of listening to a lot of and its always a blast, really fun, this doesn't quite fall under either of those headings but it has a similar feel. Anyway, enough with pigeonholing music, it's great, listen to it.

Edited by Reinhold Messner

30 new albums in 30 days #21 (day 22)

Team Dresch - Captain My Captain

Team_Dresch_-_Captain_My_Captain_Front_C

90s riot grrl / punk. Sounds very dated and 90s as hell, but even ignoring that the songs just aren't there. Sounds like an angry high school band, and not a very good one. Production sounds like you're listening to it through some baked bean cans tied to a piece of string.

Surprisingly, I've never heard this album.  It's surprising because their first album, Personal Best, is easily one of my favourite albums of the 90s.  I listened to it about a week ago and it still sounds incredible.

SEVEN

500_1409245407_quest_ss_front_cover_fina

Quest -- "Searching Sylvan"

The best thing about post-GKMC hip-hop is the splurdge of informed, articulate, conscious storytellers with great songsmanship and genuine rap skills that have started popping-up all over the place. This thing is absolutely fan-fucking-tastic. It definitely reminds me of Kendrick's seminal album, in that it weaves a consistent narrative that's mostly focused on the rapper's rise from obscurity to relative success. I'm not going to reveal too much on that, because just listening to it unfold is one of this project's real joys. The guy can spit his ass off, the beats are nice and smooth and the subject matter is engaging. Can't ask for much more than that. This should've been an album, though -- he deserves my money. DOWNLOAD LINK!

289953-emp.jpg

Godflesh - A World Lit Only By Fire

New Godflesh record. It's not quite as abrasive as their previous records, certainly around the Streetcleaner era, which was probably some of the heaviest music being recorded at that time. The industrial sound of the earlier stuff is pushed into the background a little, as the drum machines don't have that hard, synthetic sound they used to. They sound like real drums mostly. It's all tuned very low, and it's chock full of repetitious low riffs, which I dig. Some of the riffs are great actually. Jarring and ugly, whilst still being hooky and staccato. Still, on first listen, it's missing something. Streetcleaner had everything turned up to 11, everything right at the front of the mix, competing for the same frequencies and it resulted in a complete migraine of a record, in a good way. This record is a little more airy and open, and more mature as well, I suppose. But I don't feel like I'm being punched in the face by a quintessentially 80's sounding distorted snare. It's a little, I don't know.. Tame? A Godflesh record shouldn't be tame. It's not bad. Good riffs are good, and all. Maybe it will grow on me. Or maybe I should just turn it up louder, and assault people whilst I listen to it? For now, 2 and a half outta 5.

EIGHT

homepage_large.ecac8223.jpg

Electric Wizard -- "Time to Die"

I love it when a band I really adore follow-up a relatively disappointing album with a total face-melter. Not that I thought "Black Masses" was necessarily a bad album, but it definitely lacked a bit of spunk: the thing felt kinda mechanical and limp, especially after the gorgeously-warm hook-fest of "Witchcult Today." This is the filthiest, nastiest Electric Wizard record in years. The guitars aren't quite at "Dopethrone" levels of fizz, but it sounds like their using rusty nails for plectrums again, and Jus Oborn just sounds bloody miserable. I'm not sure how much more I could've asked from a new Wizard CD, to be honest. Catchy riffage, droning psychedelia, horrible fuzz, ladles of misanthropy. Great.

hammerhead.jpg

Hammerhead - Global Depression

Hammerhead have been around forever, and this sounds kind of like they always have done, if not a bit more melodic, whilst still sounding totally scummy. Standard AmRep toilet rock. Barkmarket meets Dead Kennedys, kind of. New EP! It's good, but Into The Vortex is their seminal album. Go listen to them both. 3 outta 5.

NINE

Steak-Slab-City-Artwork.jpg

Steak - "Slab City"

Pure desert rock. Sounds like a modernized Kyuss, and that's probably exactly what they intended. Their influences are very apparent throughout, particularly on tracks like "Liquid Gold" and "Slab City." "Rising" is the kind of track that comes on halfway through a long, arduous roadtrip and suddenly makes everything in the universe seem right again. The guitar tone is mega fuzzy, and they're pretty content to just ride a colossal rock riff at times: there's a real sense of looseness through this thing, and you get the vibe that they could drift into a massive jam at any point. The drums could use a bit more breathing space, and I'm not sure how this thing will stand-up to multiple listens, but my first impression is that it's a ripping album.

• Upvote 1

Newsted_heavy_metal_music.jpg

Newsted - Heavy Metal Music

Jason Newsted, the most inaudible member of Metallica, past and present, released a solo album last year. Well, kind of. It's a band, I think. But he's named the band after himself, because he's Jason fucking Newsted. And it prevents the possibility of him being kicked out of the band again, because it just wouldn't be possible to kick Jason fucking Newsted out of NEWSTED, would it? Also, one of the guitarists used to be (or possibly still is) in STAIND, so you get a picture of just how super this supergroup is.

The title of the album is as inspired as it is indicative. It really is Heavy Metal Music. And if someone was to tell you that this album was a bunch of songs Newsted wrote during the Black/Load/Reload eras, you'd probably find that quite believable. It's probably not the case, but the record sways in that direction. It sounds pretty dated, as if it was written in the early/mid 90's. You can totally imagine Jason fucking Newsted bringing some of these riffs to a Metallica practice, only to be laughed at by Lars Ulrich, and then be told to turn down.

The song titles are pretty badass too, where words are mashed together to form a new and utterly useless word. Nocturnus, Futureality, Kindevillusion, and my personal favourite - AMPOSSIBLE!

It's really shit though.

• Upvote 2

Newsted_heavy_metal_music.jpg

Newsted - Heavy Metal Music

Jason Newsted, the most inaudible member of Metallica, past and present, released a solo album last year. Well, kind of. It's a band, I think. But he's named the band after himself, because he's Jason fucking Newsted. And it prevents the possibility of him being kicked out of the band again, because it just wouldn't be possible to kick Jason fucking Newsted out of NEWSTED, would it? Also, one of the guitarists used to be (or possibly still is) in STAIND, so you get a picture of just how super this supergroup is.

The title of the album is as inspired as it is indicative. It really is Heavy Metal Music. And if someone was to tell you that this album was a bunch of songs Newsted wrote during the Black/Load/Reload eras, you'd probably find that quite believable. It's probably not the case, but the record sways in that direction. It sounds pretty dated, as if it was written in the early/mid 90's. You can totally imagine Jason fucking Newsted bringing some of these riffs to a Metallica practice, only to be laughed at by Lars Ulrich, and then be told to turn down.

The song titles are pretty badass too, where words are mashed together to form a new and utterly useless word. Nocturnus, Futureality, Kindevillusion, and my personal favourite - AMPOSSIBLE!

It's really shit though.

Nocturnus were a metal band. I would fully expect this album to be shit.

NINE

Steak-Slab-City-Artwork.jpg

Steak - "Slab City"

Pure desert rock. Sounds like a modernized Kyuss, and that's probably exactly what they intended. Their influences are very apparent throughout, particularly on tracks like "Liquid Gold" and "Slab City." "Rising" is the kind of track that comes on halfway through a long, arduous roadtrip and suddenly makes everything in the universe seem right again. The guitar tone is mega fuzzy, and they're pretty content to just ride a colossal rock riff at times: there's a real sense of looseness through this thing, and you get the vibe that they could drift into a massive jam at any point. The drums could use a bit more breathing space, and I'm not sure how this thing will stand-up to multiple listens, but my first impression is that it's a ripping album.

I should listen to this.

First, Fat Mike is, indeed, king. Wolves in Wolves' Clothing is a fucking awesome record. Self-Entitled is a bit hit-and-miss lyrically but overall I think Mike's lyrics are fucking awesome. I will kick-fuck anyone who disagrees. Because I'm a fucking hardcase, innit?

Anyway, I need to listen to/review 11 new records to keep up. Here goes.

#6teen

The_Greatest_Generation_The_Wonder_Years

The Wonder Years - The Greatest Generation.

Pop-punk/power-pop songs about summer, and girls, and summer girls, and nostalgia. Very enjoyable record with good production and well-put-together songs, but not one I'll be clambering back to listen to again and again. Probably one of those records that will really stick with you if you hear it in your teens during a summer when you're into a girl, otherwise it's just a little bit more of the same.

3/5

#7teen

41895MKC2SL._SS500_.jpg

Black on Black - A Tribute to Black Flag

I, like Joe, love tribute records. Black Flag songs but with better production, more clarity and louder. Fuck yeah.

5/5

#8teen

David-Ford-Charge.jpg

David Ford - Charge

I fucking love David Ford. I fucking love this record. Slightly more pop-oriented Tom Waits-esque piano balladry. Amazing lyrics, as with all his stuff. Great.

5/5

#1nine

bsi_dford20.GIF

David Ford - Tennessee

See above.

5/5

cd_gl.jpg

Good Lovelies - Good Lovelies

Swingy, jazzy, poppy awesomeness. Lovely harmonies, foot-tapping goodness. Love this shit.

5/5

#twitty-wan

Childish-gambino-camp.jpg

Childish Gambino - Camp

Surprised by how much I like this. Some really naff choruses that I just don't dig on, but it's mostly really, really good!

4/5

220px-Bring_it_onhorrorpops.jpg

Horrorpops - Bring it On!

Psychobilly. I love psychobilly. Good record.

4/5

23-27 coming tomorrow.

30 New Albums In 30 Days #23 (Day 28)

The Thermals - Desperate Ground

6255-desperate-ground.jpg

This is kind of basic, stripped back four-chord rock with dark angry lyrics and a really brilliant lead singer. It's like a sort of rockier JJ72, maybe a bit Placebo. Just stunning though. I loved this so much I listened to it from start to finish three times back-to-back. 

30 New Albums In 30 Days #24 (Day 28)

Weezer - Everything Will Be Alright In The End. 

weezer3-608x611.png

There was a bit of talk about this being a "return to form" for Weezer, going back to their roots etc, although they also said that about Hurley, and I'm pretty sure they said it about The Red Album as well. This follows the same course as all their recent albums. Starts out with a couple of catchy, bouncy power pop numbers then descends into the usual wistful self-reflection. I've only given it one listen though so it might get better on repeat listens. There's probably a great Weezer record to be compiled if you just took the opening tracks from their last few records, but I've given up hope of them ever releasing another truly great album. 

30 New Albums In 30 Days #25 (Day 28)

Foxygen - ...And Star Power

foxygenstarpower14500px.jpg

I bought their last album and I didn't give it a huge amount of time. It was nice, summery pop music, heavily 60s influenced, but largely forgettable except for a couple of decent songs. What prompted this abomonation then I've no idea. 90 minutes of meandering shite over 2 discs, it starts out with a couple of OK songs but gets worse with every track and by the midway point sounds like a bunch of stoned cunts fucking around in a recording studio and someone accidentally pressed record. Largely foregoes traditional songwriting and things like choruses and verses and melodies in favour of having screeching noises and tracks of drawn out clattering and shouting that are akin to having your teeth drilled. I didn't just dislike this album, I actually hated it, like I want to punch it in the face. Take a shit on it. I want this album to die. Fuck this album. Fuck this band. I hope they all shit out their colons. By some considerable distant the worst album I've heard in years. Maybe the worst ever. 

Edited by Reinhold Messner

#6teen

David-Ford-Charge.jpg

David Ford - Charge

I fucking love David Ford. I fucking love this record. Slightly more pop-oriented Tom Waits-esque piano balladry. Amazing lyrics, as with all his stuff. Great.

5/5

#1nine

bsi_dford20.GIF

David Ford - Tennessee

See above.

5/5

Never heard of this guy. Very much enjoying what i'm hearing so far, particularly the up-beat numbers.

Cheers. All the best.

Never heard of this guy. Very much enjoying what i'm hearing so far, particularly the up-beat numbers.

Cheers. All the best.

Glad to hear it!

This is my favourite song/record of his. If only for the line: "When victory comes at too heavy a price, there's honour in choosing defeat. Like the boy who was given the keys to the world, but decided to sleep in the street."

xx

EDIT: Also, this.

Edited by Stroopy121

Theharrowandtheharvest.jpg

Gillian Welch ~ The Harrow & The Harvest

You can't really go wrong with Gillian Welch and David Rawling if you like bluegrass. Definitely influenced by more modern artists than contemporary acts, this is an assured and confident record. Welch hasn't ever really done anything vastly different throughout her career (although Soul Journey had fucking drums on it!!!1!!1@!), but the quality of the songwriting and performances on "TH&TH" really makes the whole album stand out. David Rawlings is the boy when it comes to playing the guitar too.

9/10

• Upvote 1

hastag23

51tgphheb4L.jpg

The Peacocks - In Without Knockin'

Psychobilly, but fairly pish. Bad songs and sub-par production.

2/5

hashtag24

220px-Shallowgraves.jpg

The Tallest Man On Earth - Shallow Grave

Beautiful, melancholy stuff. It manages to avoid both being obnoxious and being background music. Good.

4/5

514SwB3xJfL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Mike Lawrence - Sadamantium

Comedy. It made me LOL.

4/5

william2.jpg

William Fitzsimmons - Lions

More beautiful, melancholy stuff. This one is a little too boring for my tastes.

3/5

the-bass-lesson-a-musical-comedy-by-jay-

Jay Leonhard - The Bass Lesson

Music/comedy/poetry/spoken word stuff by a dude playing a double bass. It was weird, and nothing really happened, but I really enjoyed it.

4/5

xx