aberdeen-music

Rate the albums you have listened to today.

Paranoid Android

I know about Magma because Steve Davis from snooker is a massive fan. That sounds like the kind of thing I'd be into. Cool. Ta.

Funnily enough... and this is a genuinely true/cool story bro... the friend who got me the ticket SOLD A MAGMA RECORD TO STEVE DAVIS.

He had no idea who he was and just casually told me that a snooker player/radio dj guy bought a record off him online. I found the whole thing pretty hilarious.

• 4 weeks later...

Yo La Tengo - Painful, probably their most consistent album outside of compilations. Shoegazey lofi bliss! 9/10

Lift to Experience - The Texas Jerusalem Crossroads, Epic crazed ramblings with a fucking great guitar tone 8/10

Amon Amarth - Surtur Rising, Vikings and chugga chugga guitars! 6/10

Ira Kaplan is a legend

• 3 weeks later...

Symbolic_Album.jpg

Death - Symbolic

I've ignored Death since, well, forever. I have Spiritual Healing, and I never got into it. I'd like Death Metal more if it wasn't for the cookie-monster grunts, which is pretty much a staple of the genre. They just sound so forced, and boring. Schuldiner's vocals are much less grunted on this, so it sounds a bit more abrasive, and a bit more thrash than death, with some total cheeseball power mental triumphs, like Machine Head or something. Perennial Quest might just be the greatest heavy metal song ever written.

Right bloody good.

a1714340659_16.jpg

Watertank - Sleepwalk

They've been around forever apparently, but I'd not heard anything by them until I read a review recently that used buzz words that sparked my attention. It mentioned things like "Helmet", "Torche", "Riffs", "Doom" and "Melody". That about sums it up. Heavy as fuck. Pop as fuck. Torche as fuck. Cuz there just ain't enough DoomPop bands. There's some bits that remind me of first-two-LP Foo Fighters, but, y'know, more loud.

A stone cold rocker.

http://music.solarflarerds.com/album/sleepwalk

Houses-of-the-Holy-Album-cover.jpg

Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy

I like to see any of you sons o' bitches make an album as good as this. My favourite Zeppelin album, I downloaded it on Spotify and took a cursory glance at some of the remastered extras. They are very much unessential listening.

The drums sound amazing on this album.

9/10

Fathom-Lane-Cover.jpg

Fathom Lane - Fathom Lane

I'd like to see any of you sons o' bitches make an album like this, in that it's pretty good. Spotify recommended this one too me, and it has been a pretty good barometer in all honesty (check out and album called Space Raft by a band called Space Raft). Fathom Lane are a bit Midlake sounding, with lovely harmonies, 70's soft rock(ish) arrangements and some pretty dark lyrics. I liked it, didn't love it, but liked it.

A solid 14/20.

webofsun.jpg

Web of Sunsets - Room of Monsters

Do you like Mazzy Star? Do you like Beach House? Do you like dreamy and woozy country songs with boy/girl vocals? This is for you then. Nothing groundbreaking, but very well done. You sons o' bitches would love to makes something as pleasant as this.

294/420