aberdeen-music

Rate the albums you have listened to today.

Paranoid Android

tumblr_mfm89up2k41qmminro1_cover.jpg
Wugazi - 13 Chambers

I forgot this existed. Mash-ups are the worst kind of music, but this works. Somehow. The only criticism I have of it is that I wish it had a bit more Fugazi vocal choruses to separate the Wu Tang verses. The few that are there are really great. Ian Mackaye didn't like it though, but he's a miserable arse.

mantar-odetotheflame.jpg?x=666

Mantar - Ode to the Flame

Mantar a German two-piece who play loud music that is good. They manage to cram in aspects of crust, doom, sludge and black metal without the shifts feeling forced and while keeping the album a pretty soundly cohesive thing.

Rating: dang good.

PussyWhipped.jpg

Bikini Kill - Pussy Whipped

An old favourite of mine, angrier and balls out rockier than follow up Reject All American, but less polished, which kind of adds to its charm. Fucking angry. Angry angry angry. A great album. I wish they had recorded more stuff than two albums and a couple of EPs.

4 angry women out of 5

Ramones_-_Leave_Home_cover.jpg

Ramones - Leave Home

I've liked the Ramones for a long time, but their albums kind of melt together. This is no better and no worse than the rest of their albums from the 70s. It has some of their best and best-known songs on it, like "Gimme Shock Treatment", "Carbona Not Glue", "California Sun", "Suzy Is A Headbanger", "Pinhead", so for that reason it's great, but then most of their albums are great. 

4 leather jackets out of 5

bleached_cvr_sq-e9a012eed114d2798c4a7fcd

Bleached - Welcome The Worms. 

Straightforward but fun rock album. I fell into a Spotify hole and ended up listening to this, I'd never heard of them before. It's pretty breezy generic light 4/4 rock stuff, and becomes background music a lot of the time but has a few good songs. Check out "Sleepwalking" or "Hollywood We Did It All Wrong". I probably wouldn't listen to this again. It made me remember the Donnas and that made me smile at least.

2 times I've though about the Donnas in the last ten years out of 5.

2mfkiur.png

The Mock Heroic - Dignified Exits

The best UK Hardcore record ever? I don't know. I've not heard them all. This was a great record though. Conor was/is a stupidly good drummer. So good that he gave himself the title of "Best drummer in Leeds".

51iODKNuJgL.jpg

Abdominal - Escape from the Pigeon Hole

Raps about being great at rapping, being great at not breathing whilst rapping, living in Toronto, cycling and Big Macs. A fun, easy listen. He is pretty good at rapping.

MI0001408072.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Less Than Jake - Pezcore

Pretty much my first musical obsession, first band I ever saw back in 1999. I can't really stand ska-punk of any kind these days, except this lot. This record is still fun as hell. Those out of time/tune whoa-oh-ohs still sound great.

MI0000057693.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Man... Or Astroman? - Destroy All Astromen!

The first few Man or Astroman? singles and albums, every song pretty much sounds the same. It's a good song though, that one song. This is a compilation of most of their 7" tracks, with a number of covers peppered in.Twangy surf instrumentals with old b-movie samples and a buttload of springy slappy reverb. Great band.

item.jpg?269812

Refused - The Shape of Punk To Punk

I didn't get the hype then and I don't get it now. They just weren't very good, were they? I don't know why I have this.

slow-ride-the-lightning.jpg

Cosmic Hearse's "Slow Ride"

Did anyone used to follow the Cosmic Hearse blog? It was the best metal blog, possibly ever. Anyway, the man behind CH ripped the 45rpm LP of Metallica's Ride The Lightning at 33rpm, The result is some sort of monstrous crust/doom. The shifted pitch takes the guitars down to B, and Hetfields vocals sound like James Earl Jones. Pure evil.

59798.jpg

Stand / HHH - Everything I Am Is Not For Sale

HHH never did it for me, but it was interesting to hear them again for the first time in years. Still doesn't do it for me. STAND, though. The best. "Halt the Dancefloor. The DJ is a Knobhead" is a great song title. STAND just didn't release enough recordings. Shame.

82214.jpg

Combatwoundedveteran - I Know A Girl Who Develops Crime Scene Photos

I don't listen to as much fastcore/powerviolence as I used to. This is still a favourite though. Love that snare sound. Clank! Clank! Clank! Nasty as fuck.

betty_big.jpg

Helmet - Betty

Tell you what, this record is as good as Meantime. The last 3 tracks get a bit weird. Should have stopped it at Track 11. It's got one of those aforementioned CLANK snare drums too. A staple of 90's alt rock.

• Upvote 1

BABYMETAL - Metal Resistance

Didn't think they'd ever top Gimme Chocolate. But this album is just full of songs that does just that. I don't know Japanese so I'm singing along by just making the vowel noises. Heaviest metal I've heard is fronted by the 3 most kawaii people ever. Amazing.

SystemofaDownToxicityalbumcover.jpg

System of a Down - Toxicity

Fuck the police. This album destroys. It's not even opinion. It's just true. Go on, try and disagree with me. I will just talk over you.

Black_Flag_-_Live_%2784_cover.jpg

Black Flag - Live '84

Live albums are the only Black Flag records I really listen to, because they tend to sound better than their actual records. This is good, but "Who's Got The 10 1/2?" is better.

51S1AVENN6L.jpg

Turmoil - The Process Of

My favourite genre of music used to be "Bad Mosh". This is among the baddest mosh there is. Totally raging 90s metallic HC. They don't do 'em like this anymore.

GZALiquidSwords.jpg

GZA - Liquid Swords

I really don't need to tell you anything about this record, unless somehow you've managed to live you life up until now without hearing it. Which would be weird.

Look_My_Way_(album).jpg

Madball - Look My Way

I haven't deleted anything off my iPod in years. This is getting deleted. I don't know where it came from. I definitely didn't buy it. Atrocious.

5 hours ago, Teabags said:

You don't listen to much metal, obviously.

I meant generic metal. nae yer stupid milion different variations. basically they could give the likes of maiden and metalica etc a run for their money on the heavy front. loads of chugging and that i know nails or whoever are obviously heavier but you'd be heavy too if you just smashed all the instruments as hard you could lol

went out and bought Self Defence Family. the one with the deer on the front. its nae very heavy and i thought they would be heavy but I'm enjoying it. not as much as the piss yellow variant of justin beiber - where are u now. that's a cracker.

Deafheaven - "Sunbather"
I've owned this for about two years and never really got 'round to listening to it. Spun it for the first time yesterday and I've hardly stopped since. Love it to death. Seems to attract a lot of hate from silly people on the internet, but those people don't matter. Great balance of harshness and beauty.

Royce da 5'9" - "Layers"
Utterly sleep-inducing. Shame.

Drake - "Views"
Predictably bland.

Gojira - "From Mars to Sirius"
Perfect blend of groove, invention and atmosphere. Crushingly heavy at points. "Flying Whales" is my jam. More prog-death-groove eco-metal, please.

• Upvote 1

Never understood why Deafheaven gather so much hate. Black metal purists seem to get really weird about the new wave of American stuff. Possibly because none of it sounds like it was recorded in a toilet, or possibly because the Sunbather record gathered attention from outside black metal circles. That seems to be the #1 Black Metal no-no.

It's a good record. I think I like New Bermuda even more.

14 hours ago, Soda van Jerk said:

Never understood why Deafheaven gather so much hate. Black metal purists seem to get really weird about the new wave of American stuff. Possibly because none of it sounds like it was recorded in a toilet, or possibly because the Sunbather record gathered attention from outside black metal circles. That seems to be the #1 Black Metal no-no.

It's a good record. I think I like New Bermuda even more.

Yeah, black metal purists are some of the weirdest (read: most insular and closed-minded) creatures ever. "omg dees hipsters r misappropriatin our trve kvlt kvltvre!" Shut up, dummy. Should they refrain from incorporating black metal elements into their expansive shoegaze/post-rock sounds purely because some corpse-paint wearing dork who lives in his Mum's basement has a silly list of restrictive genre conventions that MUST NEVER BE DEFIED? I prefer my music to not sound like it was recorded in a toilet cistern, m8. Get in the bin.

Metal, in-general, is one of the most snobbish, elitist genres out there (IMO). 

Anyway, listening to Jesu's "Silver" EP a lot today. Forgot how much I liked this little thing.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Murrr said:

Yeah, black metal purists are some of the weirdest (read: most insular and closed-minded) creatures ever. "omg dees hipsters r misappropriatin our trve kvlt kvltvre!" Shut up, dummy. Should they refrain from incorporating black metal elements into their expansive shoegaze/post-rock sounds purely because some corpse-paint wearing dork who lives in his Mum's basement has a silly list of restrictive genre conventions that MUST NEVER BE DEFIED? I prefer my music to not sound like it was recorded in a toilet cistern, m8. Get in the bin.

Metal, in-general, is one of the most snobbish, elitist genres out there (IMO). 

Anyway, listening to Jesu's "Silver" EP a lot today. Forgot how much I liked this little thing.

Truth. Nutcase heavy metal fans are weird as hell. It adds an extra charm to Deafheaven, because it pisses off precious butthurt metal goobers.

Funny you should mention Jesu. Another band that pisses off the metal community for not being Godflesh. "Why would the guy from Godflesh do a new band and not make it sound exactly like Godflesh?! THIS SUXXXX". Love Jesu. Opiate Sun is a wonderful record.

16 hours ago, Soda van Jerk said:

Truth. Nutcase heavy metal fans are weird as hell. It adds an extra charm to Deafheaven, because it pisses off precious butthurt metal goobers.

Funny you should mention Jesu. Another band that pisses off the metal community for not being Godflesh. "Why would the guy from Godflesh do a new band and not make it sound exactly like Godflesh?! THIS SUXXXX". Love Jesu. Opiate Sun is a wonderful record.

Somehow I've found myself going down a "bands that all the crusties hate" rabbit hole over the past two days. Wolves in the Throne Room, Liturgy and Fallujah (who catch hate for having professional-sounding production... can't make this shit up), all pretty decent. 

2016 hip-hop has been kinda farty so far so I'm catching-up on the metals.

a0786259825_10.jpg

Grader - Wholly

Fantastic EP. Absolutely love this new direction. A little sadder listening to this after yesterday's news.

Metal-Gear-Solid-V-The-Lost-Tapes-Casset

Metal Gear Solid V - The Lost Tapes

Companion album to the OST. Made up of the tapes that can be found around MGSV's open world. Sadly not the ace chart hits of the 80s, but the original music made for the rest of the tapes. Still a pretty decent wee collectable and the music is all cool 80s inspired synth tracks. Mainly bought it so I can have a tape and make the ending of the game feel more real. IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN.

Caspian - "Dusk & Disquiet"
Post-rock with some fuckin' filthy distorted grooves jammed-in for good measure. I've been burned-out on the genre for a long time, but this is great.

Dylan Brady - "All I Ever Wanted"
Bass-heavy white guy trap music, slow-paced, pretty banging. Lots and lots of vocal effects. Self-produced and pretty unique: one song samples Enya and "Barbie Girl" at the same time, so, y'know...

Earth - "The Bees Made Honey in the Lion's Skull"
This is the greatest "concentration" album every made. I don't know how else to put it. These weird drone-country vibes just help me get into the zone, whether I'm driving, chilling or working. I love this thing.

Future - "Evol"
Moderately disappointing after his stellar 2014-15 run, but still a few bangers here and there.

• 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, Jaaakkkeee said:

Outkast-speakerboxx-lovebelow.jpg

OutKast - Speakerboxxx/The Love Below

Wall to wall bangers. Name a better album than this. Pro-tip: you can't.

I can name four: Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik, ATLiens, Aquemini, and Stankonia. :p

/smartarse

Today I have only listened to the new Open Mike Eagle record. It's pretty good.

• Upvote 1

a0694593510_16.jpg

Lushlife - "Ritualize"

Great. Guy's spent most of his carrying melding hip-hop and indie rock sounds together and this might be one of the best records I've heard all year. It's so good, you guys. The instrumentals are almost psychedelic at times, and straight-up banging at others. The raps are nice, too.

• 1 month later...