aberdeen-music

Rate the albums you have listened to today.

Paranoid Android

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ramming Speed - No Epitaphs

bsi_ramsp15.GIF

A late entry into my Best of 2015 list. Didn't catch it when came out in September. Sounds like Revocation with serious pop hooks. Big fan of the first LP but this might be better. Catchier, but also probably heavier and nastier too. It's got it all. I didn't hear many great thrash releases this year other than this and Noisem, so this makes up for it. GOOD.

On 20/12/2015 at 4:50 PM, Soda van Jerk said:

Ramming Speed - No Epitaphs

bsi_ramsp15.GIF

A late entry into my Best of 2015 list. Didn't catch it when came out in September. Sounds like Revocation with serious pop hooks. Big fan of the first LP but this might be better. Catchier, but also probably heavier and nastier too. It's got it all. I didn't hear many great thrash releases this year other than this and Noisem, so this makes up for it. GOOD.

Record is awesome. They're my boyyyyz. I got free sunglasses off them for doing their merch once. p tight.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This is a week's worth.

Slayer+-+South+of+Heaven?format=300w

Slayer - South Of Heaven

I've never really explored much Slayer, just this one, Seasons In The Abyss and Reign In Blood mostly, even though I started listening to them in like 1995. I like this album. A few really great songs. 3/5

511Ub4UV5eL._SY355_.jpg

Le Tigre - Live

Sound quality is sketchy and sounds like it was recorded in a tiny venue on an iPhone, but the songs still shine through. 3/5

51OLNgYfW5L._SY300_.jpg

Lady Gaga - Born This Way

I think this is supposed to be the point where Lady Gaga stopped being a pop star and became an artist, and although it starts out with a couple of absolute bangers (Marry The Night, Born This Way) it quickly descends into really samey 80s-style synthpop. It's way too long as well. I like the cover. 2/5 

BV_ag3xCEAAWNsx-300x300.jpg

Lady Gaga - ARTPOP

This is more like it. Full of really interesting layered songs and some cracking dance beats. 4/5

2738669.jpg

Queens Of The Stone Age - Songs For The Deaf

Really good but it gets a bit samey in the second half. 3.5/5

61ED8CH89BL._SY300_.jpg

Bad Religion - The Empire Strikes First

Give Bush and Blair their due, their phoney war in Iraq sure inspired some fucking great protest music. 4/5

R-457931-1277809103.jpeg.jpg

Ramones - End Of A Century

I love The Ramones but I never really think of them as an album band, since a lot of their songs and albums sound kind of similar so they don't really stand out. This one does, produced by Phil Spector there's a very different sound on it including some of his famous "wall of sound". It's a poppy album but it's great. 4/5

1549.jpg

Biffy Clyro - Puzzle

I was a late starter to Biffy, and I've only really listened to two of their albums at length, this one and Infinity Land. This is a great album. 4/5

Fashionista_Super_Dance_Troupe.jpg

Help She Can't Swim - Fashionista Super Dance Troupe

Sort of art rock, but screamier. I don't know to describe it. It's really good though. Needs more listens. Tentatively 3.5/5

2c5da44f40edc29c592508bb816ab29a.jpg

L7 - Bricks Are Heavy

This is probably terrible to anyone coming in to it for the first time but it was one of my favourite albums as a grungey teenager so I only hear absolute joy every time I listen to it. 4.5/5

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Lemonade said:

It's stood up ok I think. A little dated but it's 25 years old so it's to be expected! 

I gave it a spin today after seeing your post. It sounds quintessentially 90's alt. rock. Dated, but in a good way. I think you're bang on about someone hearing this for the first time though. It would sound pretty terrible.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Elder - Lore

491426.jpg?4743

This came out last year, but I missed it. I just caught a review of it the other day and it sounded like my kind of thing. It is my kind of thing. Riffs, heavy, needlessly long but without it feeling like it is dragging or padded out. Ultra-melodic doom, kind of like the early Sword stuff, but much more interestingly crafted songs. Metric buttloads of riffs. Great vocals. GOOD.

http://beholdtheelder.bandcamp.com/album/lore

• 1 month later...

I discovered the magic of the 'album shuffle' on my old iPod, as it's chock full of stuff I haven't listened to in ages. Going to try and listen to one random album daily, whatever it throws up from the 100gb of stuff on there, until I get bored of saying "this was right good" or "this is proper shite, why is it on here?" which won't be long.

Today:

a0520134547_16.jpg

This Ain't Vegas - The Black Lung Captain

Can't believe this came out in 2002. Despite being from Sunderland, they seemed to play just about every gig I went to in Leeds in my first year at college, and they sort of beat me in to submission. I didn't like them at first, as in 2002, I was still listening to skate punk and thrash metal. The prickly, twangy guitars didn't satisfy me. There was like, no pinch harmonics at all. Saw them for about the 700th time in 2003 I think, and it just sort of clicked. Bought this CD. It was good. Still is good. Still sounds like it was recorded in a phonebox.

It's on the 'Camp
https://thisaintvegas.bandcamp.com/album/the-black-lung-captain

More from the ipod mystery shuffle

R-846297-1238834785.jpeg.jpg

Satanic Surfers - Going Nowhere Fast

Cheeseball euro-skatepunk. Corny, fun, not great. I got this because the song "What Ever" is great, but the rest of the album is a bit ropey. I'm sure it was on a Punk O Rama or something. Won't be putting this back on in a hurry.

R-3025097-1312267431.jpeg.jpg

Please Inform The Captain This Is a Hijack - Defeat or Humiliate the United States of America

Half of this record is awesome. The other half isn't. Every other track is a weird instrumental electronic track of samples and stuff, but not in a particularly interesting way. It's just filler. The actual band songs are the best. No exaggeration. The best. Shame they only did this and an EP.

149DB9fC3v.jpg

Send More Paramedics - The Hallowed and the Heathen

For those who managed to miss the SMP hype-train, these guys were stupidly popular in the early 00s, and it was all because of the zombie gimmick. If these were just a plain-clothed thrash band, they wouldn't be selling out every gig they played. It got really annoying. They were once the support act for Municipal Waste in a tiny venue in Leeds, and it was pay on the door. It sold out because a bunch of kids turned up to watch SMP. I didn't get in, so went home in a huff. I really wanted to see Municipal Waste. I was told by my mate who did get in that MW played to a practically empty room. The place emptied after SMP. Anyway. This hasn't aged well. I didn't think it was that good at the time, but their gigs were ace. The singer used to get carried out on to the stage in a coffin, then he'd jump out and scream BRAAAAAINS and start chewing on the head of everyone in the front row. On record, it's a bit naff. It's pretty basic, and goes a bit nu-metal at times. Meh.

18 hours ago, Soda van Jerk said:

149DB9fC3v.jpg

Send More Paramedics - The Hallowed and the Heathen

For those who managed to miss the SMP hype-train, these guys were stupidly popular in the early 00s, and it was all because of the zombie gimmick. If these were just a plain-clothed thrash band, they wouldn't be selling out every gig they played. It got really annoying. They were once the support act for Municipal Waste in a tiny venue in Leeds, and it was pay on the door. It sold out because a bunch of kids turned up to watch SMP. I didn't get in, so went home in a huff. I really wanted to see Municipal Waste. I was told by my mate who did get in that MW played to a practically empty room. The place emptied after SMP. Anyway. This hasn't aged well. I didn't think it was that good at the time, but their gigs were ace. The singer used to get carried out on to the stage in a coffin, then he'd jump out and scream BRAAAAAINS and start chewing on the head of everyone in the front row. On record, it's a bit naff. It's pretty basic, and goes a bit nu-metal at times. Meh.

I have A Feast for the Fallen on vinyl and its just not even half as good as this album, which is fucking great.

This album is fucking great. Now I really need to track down more Talib Kweli

• Upvote 1

I listened to that at work today. It was GOOD, and I don't particularly care for Mos Def usually.

Mystery shuffle continued...

twelvehourturn_victory_1024x1024.jpeg?v=

Twelve Hour Turn - Victory of Flight

Great band, great record, though not my favourite of theirs. As good as it is, it gets a little bit samey. They really nailed it on that final LP before they just sort of disappeared. This is still solid though.

NP-Hope-logo.jpg

Non-Prophets - Hope

Sage Francis and Joey Beats do stuff a bit more light-hearted than Sage's usual stuff. The production on this is way better than Sage's solo record, and the flow is a bit more chilled and lazy, compared to his usual angrier sound. Pretty good.

What the iPod spat out today:

400x400.jpg

Bolt Thrower - The IVth Crusade

Have you all got that one band that are pretty awful, but you can't help but like? Me too. Bolt Thrower. They're garbage, but they rule. They over egg the pudding on everything. Those deathgrunts sound so forced, and the guitars are so thick and sickly sounding, like they're being played through a thousand 10watt bedroom amps. This is their best record. They ditched the shitty blastbeats, stopped being a shitty grind band and made this shitty death-doom record, and it's the shittiest death-doom record you'll hear. It's a right laugh. The guy is grunting about the first world war, it's all sorts of weird. Their songwriting philosophy seems to be: unearth cool sounding riff, play it repeatedly until everyone gets annoyed. I dig that.

51iehP0BaZL._SX355_.jpg

Books Lie - Hall of Fame of Fire

Sounds like pretty much every other band on Level Plane Records at the time. Pounding hardcore with head-splitting screeched vocals. Sloppy as hell, weird musical samples, and a bass that sounds like it was recorded over the phone. Neat. I know that I bought this when I saw them in 2005, but I totally don't remember seeing them.

Revolutionary_Vol_2.jpg

Immortal Technique - Revolutionary Vol 2

Angry Peruvian yells about worthy topics like classism and racism, but whilst constantly reminding you that he'd pump you full of bullets and think nothing of it.

True. That opening track, he pretty much does play the same solo over and over anyway. It's the best.

Today:

039841468021.jpg

Lords - Fuck All Y'all Motherfuckers

There's like twenty bands called Lords. Pretty sure this Lords are in the top 3. Dunno. Never heard the others. This record is ace. Loud, rowdy metallic hardcore from Louisville.

MI0000385239.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Bones Brigade - I Hate Myself When I'm Not Skateboarding

I need more crossover thrash in my life. ALL GO! NO SLOW!

e01f316b.jpg

Dan Le Sac & Scroobius Pip - Angles

I can never decide if I like this. It has a lot of good points. A lot of the lyrics are pretty smart, and the way he pieces the lyrics together is often pretty great, but the production and the sound of his voice are all pretty horrid for the majority of the record. You know, the actual audible part of the record. I read an interview with them both years ago which made me buy the CD. They seem like swell guys, but it's pretty hard to listen to.

Edited by Soda van Jerk