aberdeen-music

Rate the albums you have listened to today.

Paranoid Android

129817.jpg

Office of Future Plans - S/T

J Robbins is the best. He has lots of bands that sound pretty similar to each other and it's hard to keep up. He should just mash all this Jawbox, Burning Airlines, Channels and now Office of Future Plans stuff together, and just call it J Robbins. I'd not heard this, even though it came out in 2011. It sounds a bit like Burning Airlines, but with some Cello. GREAT.

iron+maiden+killers+-+HMC.jpg

Iron Maiden - Killers

I've only heard the hits. I've never listened to a Maiden record from start to finish. So I listened to this one. It's totally punx.

• 3 weeks later...

Perfume Genius ~ Too Bright

220px-Too_Bright_Perfume_Genius.jpg

Easily one of the best albums of teh year and I dare say that there are plenty fans of it on the forum. What can you say about it really? Assured, glam, camp, vulnerable, honest... I could fire adjectives at this album all afternoon, but I won't do that as it would be stupid. The most immediate comparison that comes to mind is Antony and the Johnsons' album "I am a Bird Now", but that is only skin deep.

9/10

Smashing Pumpkins - Monuments to an Elegy

Monuments_to_an_Elegy_album_cover_from_S

It's the album with Tommy Lee drumming on it, not that you would notice. First impressions on this is that the closest relative in the Corgan back catalogue would be Mary Star of the Sea. Not a bad thing at all. It's pretty short, all the songs are concise, one is over 4 minutes and that's your lot for epics. "Being Beige" is the immediate standout, super good hooks and nice drum fills. Not to sure about the euro-pop "Run2me" track!

BrendonSmalls-Galaktikon.jpg

Brendon Small's Galaktikon

Brendon Small's solo album. You may know Brendon Small via Metalocalpyse and the music of fictional Death Metal band Dethklok. This isn't too far away from Dethklok, though it's much more melodic and gets rid of the grunted death metal vocals. Still lots of death metal influence, but it's majorly triumphant. Chock full of harmonies and shreds. Loads of melody, but still pretty heavy. Bodacious. 3 outta 5

Anaal_Nathrakh_Desideratum-01-300x300.jp

Anaal Nathrakh - Desideratum

New Anaal LP came out in October, which slipped under my radar. Typical Anaal. Barely any dynamics. It's just loud as shit from the off. Ridiculously heavy. Just pure nasty. They've generally gotten better with age, and each record tends to be better than the last, but I don't think this is quite as good as Vanitas. Still a good spin though. They've never done a bad record.

310108.jpg

Gore Tech - Machine Throne EP

My knowledge of electronic music is absolutely minimal, but I was attracted to this after hearing Berlin-based 'breakcore' artist Gore Tech was involved in the new Anaal Nathrakh record. Gore Tech's abrasive drum n bass is incredibly influenced by all things heavy metal, and a lot of the breaks are guitar riffs and chugs, manipulated into punchy hooks. It's punishingly heavy, and also good.

310108.jpg

Gore Tech - Machine Throne EP

My knowledge of electronic music is absolutely minimal, but I was attracted to this after hearing Berlin-based 'breakcore' artist Gore Tech was involved in the new Anaal Nathrakh record. Gore Tech's abrasive drum n bass is incredibly influenced by all things heavy metal, and a lot of the breaks are guitar riffs and chugs, manipulated into punchy hooks. It's punishingly heavy, and also good.

Relevant to my interests. Can we rename this thread "Soda Jerk and Woodsinho post about albums that they'd both enjoy"?