aberdeen-music

Rate the albums you have listened to today.

Paranoid Android

220px-The-Swellers-Good-For-Me.jpg

Pop punk which seems to saddle the gap between that really girly Fall Out Boy bubblegum guff and the slick 90's Fat Wreck middle-finger teen-angst skateboard rock. It's a bit wet. I can't decide if I like it. I have a few of their jams on certain playlists which are decent, but a whole album makes me break out in acne, I can no longer converse with girls and all I want to do is refuse to tidy my bedroom. Nobody understands me.

The guy has a good voice, but he seems to refuse to use it, and sings in quite a low register mostly, then every now and again he belts out this massive hook with a really great vocal sound, and you're left thinking "sing like that all the time, you fucking jessie".

It's okay. But why waste time listening to tepid, half arsed pop punk, when you can listen to The Flatliners?

Norrtalje by Red Sweater Lullaby (Kris from Listener). Lovely acoustic pop 9/10.

Oh god. If there's physical copies of something from someone from Listener I'll be bankrupt.

Grader - 2011

Heavy hardcore stuff. Very angry. You know how angry? It goes 0-6-5. That's some hardcore anger. 8/10

Grader - Amnesty/Cheated Death

Hardcore again. But this time so sad. 9/10

Speaking of Grader, here's a video of Fraser Allan falling over during Cheated Death.

(30 secs in). 

Hat+Danko.jpg

Haven't given this a proper listen in years. Essential listening back in college when I was getting into local bands in and round Leeds/Wakefield. These were one of the best. One of my old shitty punk bands were fortunate enough to play with them a few times too. They played a reunion gig the other week, which I couldn't make. Listen, if you like Sunny Day Real Estate, Jawbox, old Karate. It's on Spotify, and has just been re-released on vinyl. Glorious indie rock.

Omar-s | Thank you for letting me by myself - First listen in a few months, it's a lot better than I remembered actually. I probably would have listened to it a lot more already if it wasn't such a great year for techno.

Charli XCX | True Romance - Pop album of the year. Every track is brilliant. 

Edited by Paranoid Android

Laurel Halo Chance of Rain: Second album by one of my favourite current artists.  It's very different from her last album Quarantine but I sort of expected that.  It's full of intricate but catchy techno, interspersed with slower, often quite mellow bits of piano.  It's taken a few listens to really get into but today I think things started to fall into place a bit more and I can't stop listening to it.  Probably one of my albums of the year. 9/10.

We The Kings - We The Kings

WeTheKings%28album_cover%29.jpg

Kind of a guilty pleasure because I know its ass, I just like it. Pop punky, a little bit emo. Short, fun tunes with really nice melodies and chord changes, a few bits you can shout along to. The good bits have an air of Plain White T's and even hints of early Weezer. The bad bits are fairly generic emo twaddle. The first three songs are the highlight, it tails off after that but there are still a few more gems on there. Standout tracks: "Skyway Avenue" "Check Yes Juliet"

Pink Floyd - Meddle

MeddleCover.jpeg

Floyd album from the early 70s. It starts off fairly typical of their output from that era, long, experimental instrumentals, before a few weird tracks pop up and spoil things, a beat-pop Beatles-esque song and a blues track close off side 1, both poor. Then side 2 is a terrific 25 minute opus, mostly instrumental. It's not their best but it kept me company while I was doing the dishes.

Santana - Abraxas

SantanaAbraxas.jpg

I've always had impression of Santana as boring dad-rock, like a Hispanic Eric Clapton. Listening to this album didn't do much to dispel that myth, I may as well have slept through this it was so tedious. I can't even go into detail about why I disliked it because I didn't really dislike it, it failed to stir up a single emotion in me. Gets better towards the end but still, chances of me listening to this again are pretty low. Standout tracks "Samba Pa Ti" "Hope You're Feeling Better".

Crooked I - "Apex Predator." Pretty good. It's about 50% bangers, 50% badly-executed "deep" songs. Like the other guys in Slaugterhouse he is very inconsistent, and the quality of his tunes often vary from verse to verse. Works best when he's spitting like a motherfucker over some pounding beats.

Statik Selektah - "Extended Play." I never really got into him until this album. Modernised, head-bopping New York boom-bap beats with a smorgasbord of excellent guest rappers. There isn't a duff beat on the album -- "East Coast," "Bird's Eye View," and "Camouflage Dons" are probably the best. Can't list everyone on this but sheeeit... Raekwon, Black Thought, Joey Badass, Freddie Gibbs, Sean Price...

Earl Sweatshirt - "Doris." Easily the best Odd Future album, for me. Miles better than anything Tyler has shat out over the past few years. He's clearly the best rapper in the group: his rhyme scheme is incredibly for a 19 year-old, his flow is good, and his deep, raspy delivery carries a certain charisma with it. It's all a bit morose though, and because of that I struggle to get through a full sitting.

Jon Connor - "Unconscious State." Just about every type of hip-hop is represented on this. Seriously, name a sound associated with hip-hop and you'll find it somewhere. As a result, it's a massive mixed bag. Find your sound, man. This isn't working.

Freddie Gibbs - "ESGN." The most gangsta gangsta rapper in the world. BUY THIS.

What's happening with that Freddie Gibbs and Madlib album? I have a single that came out ages ago but not been aware of anything since.

From the last couple of days.

Cut Copy | Free Your Mind - Love this. Could compete with In Ghost Colours as my favourite of theirs. 

Sky Ferreira | Night Time, My Time - Long awaited album that doesn't disappoint. A contender for my pop album of the year but will likely fall just behind CharliXCX.

The Field | From Here We Go Sublime - A long time favourite but has really been hitting me hard the last few days. It's amazing how the tracks all seem to be similar yet sound so different. It just sounds wonderful, techno rarely sounds as organic and human as this.

The Velvet Underground | The Velvet Underground& Nico - 10/10 perfect.

The Velvet Underground | White Light, White Heat - Not quite the standard of the debut but not far from it.

Big Business - Battlefields Forever.

http://bigbigbusiness.bandcamp.com/album/battlefields-forever

I have waited for this album for what seems like forever, its good.............very - very good. A bands fourth album being their "best" is near unheard of, so that's a bold statement, but its definitely the most instant. I am currently sat on my sofa drinking beer punching the air at least 3 times a song. They're absolute riff machines I love them.

9/10 only because its not finished yet.

Edited by fertuiee
  • Upvote 1

What's happening with that Freddie Gibbs and Madlib album? I have a single that came out ages ago but not been aware of anything since.

It's out on February 4th. I'm not massively excited about it, as I've never really cared much for Madlib. Gibbs always brings it though.