aberdeen-music

2013/2014 Season

Eupraxia

They hardly severely underachieved either. They lost 3 of their best players, two of which were vital, and yet went a full season losing only 3 games in the domestic season. Hardly a disastrous way for a season to pan out. Ontop of that, they yet again made it through CL qualifiers and made the group stages.

I'm really not sure what people expect considering our top division is probably ranked around 25/26th strongest in Europe.

I would say not winning all 3 domestic cups is a massive underachievement.

Eh? League, league cup & Scottish cup? They should have won all 3 with the resources they have. To suggest otherwise is mental.

Not many people refer to the league as a cup, that's where the confusion is stemming from.

Though, it's fucking mental to suggest that Celtic are massively underachieving if they are not winning the domestic treble every season.

Eh? League, league cup & Scottish cup? They should have won all 3 with the resources they have. To suggest otherwise is mental.

The league isn't a Cup, it's a league.

There are 3 domestic cups, one of them is only for lower league clubs.

Yeah the league isnt a cup, its a league. 

The 3 domestic cups in Scotland are the League Cup, Scottish Cup and Ramsdens cup. Celtic can only enter two of them.

No club has the right to a domestic treble every season, it doesnt matter what their finances are like. Any team can have an off day, in a cup one off day is enough to see you knocked out. 

Not many people refer to the league as a cup, that's where the confusion is stemming from.

Though, it's fucking mental to suggest that Celtic are massively underachieving if they are not winning the domestic treble every season.

It's also pretty mental to suggest they aren't under achieving by being knocked out of both cups in the early stages.

But that's the beauty of cup football I guess.

In the last 20 years Celtic have entered 40 Domestic cup competitions and won 12 of them, about a third - pretty good by any measure.

In the last 20 years Aberdeen have entered 40 Domestic cup competitions and won 2 of them, which is a 5% success rate, fucking horrendous by any measure.

• Downvote 3

In the last 20 years Celtic have entered 40 Domestic cup competitions and won 12 of them, about a third - pretty good by any measure.

In the last 20 years Aberdeen have entered 40 Domestic cup competitions and won 2 of them, which is a 5% success rate, fucking horrendous by any measure.

The difference in resources makes that statement completely irrelevant; it's just a dig at Aberdeen more than anything else. In fact, during the time period you've mentioned no team outside of the Old Firm has won a domestic cup more than three times (Hearts).

In the 20 years previous to that (1974-1994) Celtic entered 40 and won 9 of them, with Aberdeen winning 8 of the 40 they entered.

• Upvote 2

Yeah thats a pretty rubbish statement considering the resources the two old firm clubs have had for the past 20 years, your just digging at Aberdeen which you did earlier in the thread but everyone just ignored it. 

Still the last Scottish club to win anything in Europe.

It's a comparison of the club under discussion and the club most people on here support. You can call it a dig if you want but it wasn't meant that way. The response to Aberdeen winning the League Cup was understandable - but you have to admit there were an awful lot of brand new Dons fans banging on about the Sheep being on fire.

Of course success is relative, but Celtic have hardly comprehensively bottled the domestic cups or under achieved.

It's funny that you guys are happy to have a go at other clubs but get a little bleaty when your own lack of success is highlighted...........here was me thinking that Sheep had thicker skins.

Edited by colb
  • Upvote 1

Here was me thinking you were a rational, measured man with a solid ability to debate with reason and relevant points.

It seems to me that you're the one becoming hugely defensive. The responses are just putting your spurious comment into perspective for the sake of sound reason.

Here was me thinking you were a rational, measured man with a solid ability to debate with reason and relevant points.

It seems to me that you're the one becoming hugely defensive. The responses are just putting your spurious comment into perspective for the sake of sound reason.

Except my comment wasn't spurious, it was true.

Edited by colb

It's this point here; it's not like other clubs who are relatively the same as Aberdeen in terms of stature and resources have done any better. The most horrendous thing about it was waiting almost 20 years between the first and second one! 

It's this point here; it's not like other clubs who are relatively the same as Aberdeen in terms of stature and resources have done any better. The most horrendous thing about it was waiting almost 20 years between the first and second one! 

Fair enough. Put it in perspective of a response to the comments about under achieving though.

Jan, you're a fuddington for using the word fuddington.

Anyway, I can't see how not winning the treble is anything but an underachievement. Look at the quality of their squad, look how much they've spent compared to all the other teams. If I was chairman, I'd expect nothing less.

Lennon is a shit manager and he underachieved in probably the most piss easy situation he'll find himself in as a football manager.

You say quality of the squad but it's pretty bang average.

That squad would struggle for playoffs in the championship and have been selling all their good players.

I'm sure Celtic would hope for a double most seasons but expecting the treble is pretty mental. Even good teams can slip up easily in one off games especially with the extra CL games Celtic had to play.

Almost every Celtic fan I know is rightly disappointed by the club's performance in the cup competitions in the last few seasons. Celtic are so far ahead of the rest that they should be targeting the treble. It shouldn't be expected as guaranteed but it is a very realistic target and not getting close is failure.

Losing at home to Morton, a club which got relegated from the Championship and conceded 10 goals in one game against Hamilton, is something which should never happen. 

Edit - In Lennon's four full seasons Celtic won 2 out of the 8 domestic cup competitions they entered. This is the same as the previous four seasons, despite what happened to Rangers and Celtic being stronger in the league.

Edited by Paranoid Android

Surely as a Celtic fan the only thing left to care about is the Champions league no? A better showing in the champs league and I'd say Lennon was a success. All he's done is held the place together, it's not like they're moving on leaps and bounds.