aberdeen-music

2013/2014 Season

Eupraxia

Oh aye, I don't think he's done badly at all, in fact he's done very well... but it's not like they're world beaters. If I was a Celtic fan I'd want to see that step up to possibly doing well in the champs league group stages at least. Celtic have that plucky tough-to-beat-at-home thing down but sustaining a credible challenge is the only thing I'd want to see from the team. I'd give zero fucks about any domestic cups - they're just numbers for them now.

I don't think they will sign him either but he'd be a better buy right now than Barkley. McCarthy was their player of the season and at 23 should be about to come into his prime. Barkley wasn't even in the first 11 a lot of the time.

Barkley obviously has the potential to be a better player though. 

As a United fan I'd be gutted if we signed McCarthy; for me it would demonstrate a total lack of ambition. He's a handy player, but unless we signed him for a decent fee with view to using him as a squad player I wouldn't be interested.

United need at least 3 marquee signings this Summer, with the centre of defence obviously being an area of concern with Vidic/Ferdinand gone. We're also looking particularly light in CM and at full back.

I echo what is said above about Ross Barkley, I think he'd be a cracking signing. If United have any sense they'd get in quick before the world cup starts, if he has a decent tournament United won't be the only club interested and will have to pay a ridiculous fee to get him.

Yeah i just dont get the hype with McCarthy, a tidy player, but he doesnt really capture the imagination, he should stay where he is as he obviously works well enough with Martinez. I just think Barkley is more what United need, and i feel he has more potential so in the long run would be a better signing. 

Barkley won't go anywhere this summer. I doubt any club will actually make a big bid for him. It's clearly too early for him to step up to a bigger team.

Perhaps, but I think he would fit in quite well at United. Our current offering in CM doesn't have any creativity or drive, I like Carrick and Fletcher but United need another dimension to compete for the premier league and Barkley fits the description. Can run at defenders and has taken some of his goals unbelievably well this season. I honestly think he'll be the English player everybody is talking about at the World Cup, like Rooney at Euro 2004.  

I think everyone is a little harsh on McCarthy.  He's a tidy player?  The only reason people think he's only a tidy player is he is a pure defensive midfielder.

He's still very young and could do as much as 10 years at Man Utd.  He'd be a really shrewd start to the rebuild.  

I know everyone is looking for the sexy signing but you cant just keep signing talented attacking midfielders you don't really need.  The Man Utd team needs a new spine that you then put the sexy signings around.  McCarthy would be a great start to that.

Oh and he's premier league proven already no risk bringing in a defensive midfielder that's never played in this physical a league.

• Upvote 1

I think everyone is a little harsh on McCarthy.  He's a tidy player?  The only reason people think he's only a tidy player is he is a pure defensive midfielder.

He's still very young and could do as much as 10 years at Man Utd.  He'd be a really shrewd start to the rebuild.  

I know everyone is looking for the sexy signing but you cant just keep signing talented attacking midfielders you don't really need.  The Man Utd team needs a new spine that you then put the sexy signings around.  McCarthy would be a great start to that.

Oh and he's premier league proven already no risk bringing in a defensive midfielder that's never played in this physical a league.

Do United need a new defensive mid tho with Carrick and Fletcher still around? I'd argue that someone like Barkley, who makes more runs forward is more what United need. Defensively in midfield they are ok, its the fact they have no one creative making forward runs from there that was hampering them last season.

• Upvote 1