aberdeen-music

2013/2014 Season

Eupraxia

Yeah must be shit winning league titles, being favorite for cups and leading your team out to the CL music at Parkhead. I'd imagine no one in the world wants that kind of job. 

What's the point though after you've done it for a few seasons. Celtic basically had nothing to play for after we knocked them out of the Scottish cup. The fans were clearly bored as they stopped turning up in huge numbers.

What's the point though after you've done it for a few seasons. Celtic basically had nothing to play for after we knocked them out of the Scottish cup. The fans were clearly bored as they stopped turning up in huge numbers.

So are you saying that no one should be interested in that job? Or just do it for one season as something to keep you going? 

It's about having ambition, innit? He probably wants to facilitate a move to ultimately get a job that allows him to challenge for the Champions' League.

He's cut his teeth at Celtic and now presumably wants to expand on his skillset by taking a job with an English Championship side. A different game, more competitive league. You can be a success at your job yet still have itchy feet as routine becomes boring or you feel the job is not challenging you sufficiently.

He will fail though, and it'll be great.

Plus, he's leaving before the other cheek of the Glasgow arse returns to the Premiership. Good move on his part - leave on a high and with no-one to realistically challenge or ask questions regarding league position. And before the death threats get frequent again.

Edited by Adam Easy Wishes
  • Upvote 1

Will Lennon fail?

He did ok at Celtic. Beating Barca with a poor team and Celtic consistently getting into the group stages of the Champs league on limited resources doesn't seem too bad an achievement to me.

I'd like to see Malky Mackay as next manager.

Will Lennon fail?

He did ok at Celtic. Beating Barca with a poor team and Celtic consistently getting into the group stages of the Champs league on limited resources doesn't seem too bad an achievement to me.

I'd like to see Malky Mackay as next manager.

Were his resources that limited though? I'm not being cheeky, I just think that they are well equipped to compete at the top level in Europe. It's their low level of domestic compeition that I think lets them down in Europe.

Raphael Honegstein saying it looks like Kroos will leave Bayern. He normally prefers the line that a German player is staying in Germany  so he must think it is quite likely. Man U deal could actually be on.

It should do. Especially if he's looking to leave. No point going after targets who are unavailable, when Kroos has looked likely to move for most of the season.

Thiago is probably more suited to Bayern's current style anyway, and I think Thiago's potential is much higher. I think Thiago will be one of the best around when he reaches his peak. Just a shame about the injuries this season. Kroos is still great though, and worthy of a significant bid from United, before other teams wade in.

Were his resources that limited though? I'm not being cheeky, I just think that they are well equipped to compete at the top level in Europe. It's their low level of domestic compeition that I think lets them down in Europe.

I think that we'd be pretty far down the list of Countries to play in for most players of Champs league standard. 

I think that we'd be pretty far down the list of Countries to play in for most players of Champs league standard. 

Agreed. But I can't help but think that if Celtic really wanted to do better in Europe then they could stretch the budget to accomodate this. It's obviously completely pointless given the league they play in, so if they were to finance a better squad then they would be overly reliant on CL money to come up with the cash; an early exit from Europe and they'd be fucked.

I think the seasons without Rangers in the PL are tough for Celtic to sign and hold onto good players.  Last season they did really well (all things considered) in the CL with Wanyama being a beast and Hooper banging in some goals.  They cashed in, understandably.  This season, they were overwhelmed in the CL.  I expect much of the same this season (if they make the group stages).

I would imagine that Lennon's thinking would mainly be that he can still carve out a move to a decent Championship side off the back of the reputation he got from last season's CL outings and the money he made on his signings etc.  Last season, Celtic actually looked like a good team, but this season, not really.  Just more cash and still a lot more higher paid players than anyone else in Scotland can afford.  Next season will be worse for Celtic than this season was - I don't imagine them signing any big names, and some may leave.

Lennon will get found at in the Championship though.  He'd be better off to go right down to the bottom tier or go to the continent or something and actually learn how to be a football manager.  He inherited a team with by far the biggest budget in the league he was in and managed one good season of overperforming in Europe.  If he goes into a competitive league, his tactics will get found out badly.  I reckon so anyway.

Agreed. But I can't help but think that if Celtic really wanted to do better in Europe then they could stretch the budget to accomodate this. It's obviously completely pointless given the league they play in, so if they were to finance a better squad then they would be overly reliant on CL money to come up with the cash; an early exit from Europe and they'd be fucked.

The only way for Celtic to improve their squad is for the standard in Scottish football to rise to make it necessary.

There's no point in breaking the bank to win a game in Europe when you're winning the domestic league by 25 points and your nearest competition get so excited by winning a cup game against you that they react like they've won the World Cup.

I think that the level of competition in Scotland has improved in the last 2 seasons, but realistically we're 3 or 4 seasons away from real competition for the league.

There's no way Lennon could possibly have further enhanced his reputation by staying in Scotland so, professionally, it's definitely the right move. I'm genuinely surprised that he's left though, as he always struck me as the kind of deluded egoist who'd rather be the big fish in a small pond rather than truly testing himself. I legitimately thought he saw himself as some kind of wanky pied piper figure to the dim-witted fuckwits who worshipped him (remember the candlelit vigil? LOL), so fair play to him for actually making a career move.

I won't miss his deliberate antagonism. I'll definitely miss his team bottling it in the domestic cups every single year.

Edited by Murrr

The only way for Celtic to improve their squad is for the standard in Scottish football to rise to make it necessary.

There's no point in breaking the bank to win a game in Europe when you're winning the domestic league by 25 points and your nearest competition get so excited by winning a cup game against you that they react like they've won the World Cup.

I think that the level of competition in Scotland has improved in the last 2 seasons, but realistically we're 3 or 4 seasons away from real competition for the league.

Your reap what you sow. Celtic have only themselves and their ugly sisters to blame for the lack of competition. Buying rival teams best players for peanuts and letting them rot on the bench and taking the lion's share of the TV revenue.

They can get to fuck as far as I'm concerned. The last couple of seasons without rangers has been an absolute treat, I only wish Celtic would fuck off too.

• Upvote 5

Celtic, for me anyway, should be judged on their performance in the domestic cups.

It may be the perception of many that Lennon has walked away from the club knowing he can't achieve anymore; in reality I think he knows his squad has gone stale. They were/are always going to win the league, the fact that they didn't win a domestic cup and got humped in the Champions League group stages last season is a sign that they severely under achieved.

They might have only lost one game the whole season and they are to be commended for that, but it's hardly one for the history books.

They hardly severely underachieved either. They lost 3 of their best players, two of which were vital, and yet went a full season losing only 3 games in the domestic season. Hardly a disastrous way for a season to pan out. Ontop of that, they yet again made it through CL qualifiers and made the group stages. 

I'm really not sure what people expect considering our top division is probably ranked around 25/26th strongest in Europe. 

They hardly severely underachieved either. They lost 3 of their best players, two of which were vital, and yet went a full season losing only 3 games in the domestic season. Hardly a disastrous way for a season to pan out. Ontop of that, they yet again made it through CL qualifiers and made the group stages. 

I'm really not sure what people expect considering our top division is probably ranked around 25/26th strongest in Europe. 

You could also put the onus on the manager to replace those players though. For example replacing Gary Hooper with Temo Pukki didn't exactly work out, which is why they signed Griffiths in January.

It might only be 3 domestic defeats, but seeing as two of them were in the cups it's a bit more of an issue. Domestic semi-finals should be the absolute minimum requirement for Celtic just now, and even exiting at that stage would be quite disappointing. I'm not saying that Lennon will definitely be a failure in his next job, but it'll certainly be much more demanding than the one he's leaving. You could argue that dealing with the pressure of being expected to win everythign is demanding, but it's a far easier situation to manage given the resources available to him than say, getting Norwich promoted to the premier league.

I just had a thought.  I wonder if Lennon will materialise as the new manager of that Celtic team in the lower divisions of England.  You know that team that absolutely isn't associated with Celtic FC in any shape or form, despite being called "Celtic", playing in green and white hoops and looking very very Irish.