aberdeen-music

2013/2014 Season

Eupraxia

Apart from a few tankings, Sherwood did not a bad a job at Spurs.  It was always gonna be difficult after selling Bale and AVB just signed a bunch of players willy nilly.  I liked Sherwood but the Spurs job probably too big for him at this stage.  Bit of a poisoned challis anyway, fuck knows how many managers they have got through under Levy.  Probably should have stuck with 'arry.  Sure some European journeyman type chap will get the gig and last the usual 18 months!

Apart from a few tankings, Sherwood did not a bad a job at Spurs.  It was always gonna be difficult after selling Bale and AVB just signed a bunch of players willy nilly.  I liked Sherwood but the Spurs job probably too big for him at this stage.  Bit of a poisoned challis anyway, fuck knows how many managers they have got through under Levy.  Probably should have stuck with 'arry.  Sure some European journeyman type chap will get the gig and last the usual 18 months!

You could say exactly the same thing about AVB this season, and add the fact he was excellent the year before.

Those willy nilly signings were done by a man whose job never appears under threat.

"Samir is an important player for Manchester City but he has not performed that well with France," Deschamps said. "He is a starter at City, which is not the case with France and he has made clear that he is not happy when he is not [a starter], and I can tell you it can be felt in the squad. I built the best squad, I did not pick the 23 best French players."

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/may/13/france-world-cup-squad-samir-nasri-gael-clichy-didier-deschamps

Edited by Paranoid Android

Nasri not included in French World Cup squad, dafuq's that all about?

Was just about to post this.

Quote from deschamps...

"Samir Nasri is a starter in a big club that won the Premier League, he is an important part of Manchester City. However his performances for the French NT are not up to his ones at Manchester and he is *not* a starter for us. And when he doesn't start, he is not happy."

Clichy not picked either.

Januzaj in the belgium squad

You could say exactly the same thing about AVB this season, and add the fact he was excellent the year before.

Those willy nilly signings were done by a man whose job never appears under threat.

I agree AVB was sacked after the tanking by Liverpool, had he stayed would probably have taken Spurs to around where they finished with Sherwood I think.  But given the amount they spent in the summer, a top four finish was a must I suppose.

Yeah - got to admire Deschamps there I reckon. Having the balls to not only leave out a Very good individual player but also having the balls to say exactly why. It's a team game.

Can't also help but think of past England squads and Sven absolutely insisting on playing Lampard and Gerrard all the time and sometimes having to push Gerrard out of position. He'd have been better to just pick whichever one he thought would be the most effective in that game (at the time, probably Lampard).

Gerrard has for a long time been held up on a pedestal by the English media, mistakes ignored (apart from when so bad ignoring was impossible), good work praised to a silly extent and generally treated as a king of English football.

However that article goes too far and denies him some credit he deserves from this season. Of course he was not the second best player in the league this season but he was better than some of the players the article names such as Coutinho, Willian and Cazorla. He had his best season in years and was superb during their 11 game winning run.