aberdeen-music

2013/2014 Season

Eupraxia

a tidy 4-0 drubbing of a rather hapless and out of sorts Aldershot on Tuesday, Macclesfield did us a favour scoring a late equalizer against Kidderminster so our lead is extended to 7 points.  Bring on Mr Davids and Barnet Saturday teatime, I shall be going first away game in over a year!

Stopped reading as soon as I saw "Graham Hunter". Can't stand that patronising arse. Read his Barca book, and whilst it is interesting, his points are put forward in shitty way. He keeps throwing in these lines where he's assuming the reader doesn't "understand" Barcelona. Not as much as the overlord that is Graham Hunter anyway.

He's from Aberdeen too, isn't he?

Stopped reading as soon as I saw "Graham Hunter". Can't stand that patronising arse. Read his Barca book, and whilst it is interesting, his points are put forward in shitty way. He keeps throwing in these lines where he's assuming the reader doesn't "understand" Barcelona. Not as much as the overlord that is Graham Hunter anyway.

He's from Aberdeen too, isn't he?

He is indeed.

98 was definitely in my peak period of football obsession. It was a great time for football too, there were loads of top class players around and attacking play was generally favoured. Just compare World Cup 98 and Euro 2000 to the '02 and '04 tournaments which were much more negative and less entertaining. Plus everyone knows that 97/98 is the best championship manager game there ever was.

• Upvote 2

98 was definitely in my peak period of football obsession. It was a great time for football too, there were loads of top class players around and attacking play was generally favoured. Just compare World Cup 98 and Euro 2000 to the '02 and '04 tournaments which were much more negative and less entertaining. Plus everyone knows that 97/98 is the best championship manager game there ever was.

All of this. Plus, the strips. All of the strips. France '98 was incredible. Scotland were there. Brazil in the opening game! Brooner. Darren Jackson. Gordon Durie. Derek Whyte. SCOTT BOOTH.

The final of the tournament was on my birthday, FFS. Perfect summer!

Just watched this highlights video of Marcelo Salas' goals against England the last time Chile played at Wembley: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24950447

What a player, and more importantly WHAT A STRIP that Chile one is. Iconic (for me, anyway). Loved football more than ever in 1998!

Chile+WC1998+Home.jpg

Great strip. I had a crappy replica of it. The type you get from tourist resorts abroad (got mine in Turkey) that look like they were printed in someone's garage. It had Zamorano on the back, and that giant REEBOK logo on the front. Too good.

France 98 was good, but Euro 96 was my favourite tournament. USA 94 was great too, and again, it was littered with amazing/awful/wonderful/ghastly strips. Really massive baggy ones.

France 98 was good, but Euro 96 was my favourite tournament. USA 94 was great too, and again, it was littered with amazing/awful/wonderful/ghastly strips. Really massive baggy ones.

jorge-campos-19941.jpg

96 wasn't that great of tournament really but I can obviously see why England fans (especially those who are old enough to remember it but not world cup 90) have fond memories of it. I enjoyed it too with Scotland being there but overall the quality wasn't the best.

I'd rank the last 20 years of major tournaments as

2000>1998=2006>2008>1996>2012>2010>2002>2004

The first 3 are quite hard to order for me and I could spend ages thinking about it if I really wanted to. Giving the edge to 2000 because I think it probably did have the highest standard of football even though the other two maybe have stronger personal memories attached to them.

Edited by Paranoid Android

Does anyone listen to the football ramble? 

Anyway here's a teaser for you in the form of Pete's going for gold type game. Try and guess the player with as few as clues as you can.

1. I was born in Nigeria in 1978 and named after a 13th century pope.

2. In 1994 I signed for Anderlecht and was soon breaking records.

3. Aged 16 years and 86 days I became the youngest player ever sent off in a Champions League match.

4. I was signed by Chelsea in 1997 and made over 100 league appearances for the club.

5. In my final season Chelsea won the league but I didn't play enough matches to get a winners medal.

6. I then spent a few largely unsuccesful seasons at Newcastle before signing for LA Galaxy who I never played a competitive match for.

7. In 2011 I was declared bankrupt.

The answer 

Celestine Babayaro

Try and do better with this one.

1. I was born in England in 1970

2. I began my career with Crew Alexandra

3. I made over 100 appearances for the club before signing with Middlesbrough in 1992 and stayed until 1998.

4. In 1995 I scored the club's first goal at the Riverside stadium in a 2-0 win against Chelsea.

5. In 1998 I signed for Aberdeen but returned to England only a few months later to play for Barnsley.

6. In 2002 I won the league cup with Blackburn, the only medal of my career.

7. The final years of my career were spent at various clubs including Leicester, Darlington and Hartlepool before retiring in 2007.

Answer

Craig Hignett

Home debut. His first game was away at Dens the week before which was probably one of the first away matches I ever went to. We won that 2-0 with goals from both Jess and Hignett and we really did look good. Dens was a shit hole. 

Also the atmosphere at that Celtic match was one of the best I ever experienced at Pittodrie.