aberdeen-music

2013/2014 Season

Eupraxia

Why is Alan Hansen still allowed to talk about football on the telly?

Arsenal can't possibly win the league (we're only ten games in) and here's why. It's in a clip from 2010.

Why did MOTD even go with that little segment!? It was a farce. They didn't even talk about the decision!

Hansen's predictions are notoriously wrong. Win nothing with kids, and all that. He's a perennial straw clutcher.

With City, Chelsea and moreso United not really getting properly going under new management, if Arsenal were ever likely to win the league, it would be this year. Especially with Ramsey hitting consistency, Giroud on blazing form and the acquisition of Ozil. I'd love to see Arsenal win it over City or Chelsea. United have already lost 3 games. They'd have to be almost perfect from now on to even stand a chance, as Champions only tend to lose around 4, 5 or 6 games in a season. Doesn't seem likely.

The downside to that possible title win being Piers Morgan. God, that would be unbearable. I think I'd have to avoid Twitter until the end of next season when someone else wins it back.

Cambridge won again today in the FA Cup but its now getting boring me spouting the triumphs of my tin pot team so I will shut up!

The artist formerly known as Jake Spike was over at Southport following his village team this arvo. 4-0 down after 12 minutes. Ouch!

Anyone know of any decent pubs in Fraserburgh? Montrose are there next weekend on cup duty, and the supporters bus is leaving dangerously early....

The artist formerly known as Jake Spike was over at Southport following his village team this arvo. 4-0 down after 12 minutes. Ouch!

Anyone know of any decent pubs in Fraserburgh? Montrose are there next weekend on cup duty, and the supporters bus is leaving dangerously early....

Cheers Bar opposite Iceland in the Main Street is really decent, clean, friendly, and a great big covered beer garden with sofas and flat screen tellies in it. The Balaclava down the harbour is great craic but there's a pretty high chance of getting your eyeballs stabbed out. It's a mad bastard of a place. The rest are pretty shit. Avoid the harbour ones (not very welcoming) and the one opposite the football ground (boring).

Soldado is going to be top scorer just with penalties alone. Harsh handball decision. Deflected off his leg onto his arm. Definitely not intentional, which is, you know, the rule.

Joe Hart dropped a total clanger. Why did he come for that?! Should have been a routine header for Nastasic under no major pressure. I wonder if City will make a panic foray into the January window for a keeper. Or give the big, fuck off, Pantilimon a shot?

United should be playing Kagawa in behind Rooney and RvP. It will naturally work out that Kagawa and Rooney sit a bit deeper with RvP being the tip of the formation. Christmas tree. The Christmas tree formation from Champ 97/98. That should be it. Actually no, play a back three with wingbacks. Love a wingback! That's where width should come from, and given United's struggle with decent centre mids since Fletch started shitting everywhere, utilising the plentiful centre backs at the club is surely a good idea? WHY DIDN'T I REPLACE SAF AS BOSS?

van Persie

Kagawa - Rooney

Carrick - Fellaini

Evra----------------------------------Rafael

Evans - Vidic - Ferdinand

de Gea

United should be playing Kagawa in behind Rooney and RvP. It will naturally work out that Kagawa and Rooney sit a bit deeper with RvP being the tip of the formation. Christmas tree. The Christmas tree formation from Champ 97/98. That should be it. Actually no, play a back three with wingbacks. Love a wingback! That's where width should come from, and given United's struggle with decent centre mids since Fletch started shitting everywhere, utilising the plentiful centre backs at the club is surely a good idea? WHY DIDN'T I REPLACE SAF AS BOSS?

van Persie

Kagawa - Rooney

Carrick - Fellaini

Evra----------------------------------Rafael

Evans - Vidic - Ferdinand

de Gea

Replace Ferdinand with Jones and I'm pretty much in agreement with the line-up. I think the days of the Christmas tree formation are long gone though. I used to utilise it all the time in Champ Manager, people mocked me for having no wingers but resolute I persevered. I now go with a more conventional 4-2-3-1 with fullbacks with pace pushing forward.

Looking at that line-up though Moyes was always going to have to rebuild and I'm sure Ferguson was aware that he was handing over a poisoned chalice (i'm sure Moyes was aware of that too).

It's going to take time but i'm sure Moyes is the right man for the job. It remains to be seen whether the fans can cope with a season or two without glory and whether the board can resist giving in to the pressure come the end of the season when Utd have limped into 4th.

• Upvote 1

It maybe isn't relevent in today's game, but Ferguson didn't exactly have the most glorious first 4-5 seasons an United!  Fans were calling for his head the year they just finished outside the relegation zone, but they persisted and it worked out ok.  Surely, unless they get relegated (which won't happen), that gives Moyes a good 5 seasons!

A back three won't happen at United until they hire a sexy continental head coach, and not a dour Glaswegian. The type who wears a really nice coat and never shaves but still looks slick. Until then; 4-4-2 or die.

Fergie got given plenty of time to build when he first arrived, but his mission was to drag United from the lower regions of mid table and get the best out of them. That is always going to a laborious task with no instant result. Moyes' task to maintain United (who are the champions) and keep them in a competitive position shouldn't take as long as it took Fergie to build. It shouldn't be seen as a project, and I don't think the club or the fans should lower their expectations. If Mourinho or Guardiola got the job, they certainly wouldn't have lowered expectations, but because it's trophyless Moyes, he will probably be compensated with plenty of time. which is good, obviously, but he inherited a squad which twatted the league last year, and he still has arguably the best strike force in the league in Rooney and RvP. He should be doing better.

The fannying about in the summer didn't help him though. Fellaini was never the answer. What a terrible deal.

He was great for Everton, but that primarily came from attacking midfield, or even as a striker, since he's the best in the world at chest control and elbowing people in the head. Best hold up play on earth. I just don't think he's mobile enough to be a great defensive midfielder. He's looked totally lost there so far, and didn't really look all that great playing that deep for Everton. He's way down the pecking order for playing upfront for United, and rightly so.

Heynckes has to win it even though a big part of me would really like to see Klopp get it because he's done a remarkable job there. However you just can't look past a team that played as well as Bayern and was so successful.

The player award is much more difficult. I think Messi's run of victories will probably come to an end which I just about think should happen. The logical thing is to look to a Bayern player but I think their votes could be split, Ribery, Robben and Muller at least will all get a number of votes I'd imagine. If I had to stick my neck out I'd go for Ribery to take it. Zlatan could be close but I don't see him getting higher than 3rd or 4th.

Xavi shouldn't be on there, he's not been the same player in 2013 at all. He probably hasn't been at his peak since 2011. The biggest omissions to me are Marco Reus and Mario Gotze.