aberdeen-music

The Car Thread, Yay!! (No bus users allowed)

paime

Seems to be a popular thing in Banchory at the moment for teenagers to pass their test and buy a cheap 4x4 to thrash in a field. Probably more fun than putting ugly alloys on a corsa and meeting other corsa owners in a car park.

Corsa enthusiasts are a bunch of dicks. I remember somebody asking me if I post on the Corsa forum one time as I got in my car after picking up a chippy.

My next car is going to be a big fuck off jeep. I quite like Discovery's and Range Rovers.

Townley%20Desert%20Ranger%2002%20web%20W.jpg

P1220005.JPG

Discoveries are great cars when they work. My bird has one of the Discovery 3s (we'll be getting rid of it next weekend) and it costs a fortune to run. It's constantly got something wrong with it and isn't cheap to fix when it does naff up.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Does anyone want to buy my Supra? :)

I would absolutely love to but im afraid i'll get kicked out of the house for coming home with it :(

On a serious note, i have a pal who lives down south and he lurvs Supras. The last time i spoke to him he was seriously considering getting another one so i'll ask and see what he says. Can you post some more piccies? For my benefit more than his....

I'm going to post this here as it affects drivers, and I don't think the Ridiculous News thread is appropriate:

Cyclists call for 'strict liability' law to hold drivers to account http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-22155209

That is bullshit. There are bucketloads of bad cyclists with no regard for road rules out there. If they're going to bring that in then there needs to be stricter punishments levied at cyclists if they are found to be at fault like bans etc.

Guest davetherave

If they want to make the roads safer for cyclists, they should campagn for proper bike lanes (not ones shared with bendy road hogging buses). Said cycle lanes should make use of wide pavements to keep cyclists off the roads; one pavement lane for bikes and one for pedestrians. Cameras could be put in place to fine pedestrians and cyclists found using the wrong lanes. This would generate revenue to fill the potholes, and fund a campaign to ban the bus.

Jeremy Clarkson for Prime minister :devil:

Edited by davetherave

I saw this today as well, it's a crock of poop. Everyone has a duty to drive with due care and attention, cyclists, car drivers, bus drivers and motorbikers. Saying one group is guilty until proven innocent surely contravenes the core principle of our legal system?

Read the article past the millionth time the word 'smacks' is used.  Legally, the motorist wouldn't be guilty.  They're just seen as liable.  Same for a cyclist if they hit a pedestrian.

Speaking as a car driver and a bicycle rider, motor vehicles are way more dangerous for cyclists than vice versa.  I've never been terrified by a 'bad cyclist's' road awareness while sitting behind a steering wheel.  So yeah, I reckon that the ball should be in the drivers court to prove that the cyclist was being enough of a cock to hurt herself/himself.

• Upvote 1

Read the article past the millionth time the word 'smacks' is used.  Legally, the motorist wouldn't be guilty.  They're just seen as liable.  Same for a cyclist if they hit a pedestrian.

Speaking as a car driver and a bicycle rider, motor vehicles are way more dangerous for cyclists than vice versa.  I've never been terrified by a 'bad cyclist's' road awareness while sitting behind a steering wheel.  So yeah, I reckon that the ball should be in the drivers court to prove that the cyclist was being enough of a cock to hurt herself/himself.

So you've never worried that you might have to swerve to avoid a "bad cyclist" and then smash sideways into another car occupied by a mother taking her kids out on a drive (bit extreme I know but you get the point). You might not be injured yourself but also completely not at fault, others might die or be seriously injured though and yet you'd have to jump through hoops to prove your innocence? Meanwhile the cyclist can just sit there like Shaggy on the bathroom floor...

35277145.jpg

• Upvote 1

I'm not for a minute saying that cyclists are infallible kings of the road.  However, your hypothetical could quite easily be caused by a child tripping and falling onto the road.  It's in the driver's best interests to be aware of potential hazards, blind spots and of course, a good escape route (eg somewhere that's not a young family in a fiat 500).  They're the ones operating the heavy machinery.

I just think it's crap having a motorist/cyclist divide.  Probably the majority of cyclists have driving licenses anyway - I just don't think it hurts for someone who's never been muscled onto the kerb by a fat guy in a BMW X5 to have a bit of extra liability sitting at the back of their mind when they're getting ferociously pissed off at the mere sight of someone wearing lycra.

However, your hypothetical could quite easily be caused by a child tripping and falling onto the road.  It's in the driver's best interests to be aware of potential hazards, blind spots and of course, a good escape route (eg somewhere that's not a young family in a fiat 500).  They're the ones operating the heavy machinery.

That's all "ideal" situations though. Accidents happen in split seconds, you very rarely have time to plan anything.

Of course there shouldn't be a divide. That's why this rule is bullshit because it gives one party an advantage over another. Surely that's common sense to you?

That's all "ideal" situations though. Accidents happen in split seconds, you very rarely have time to plan anything.

Of course there shouldn't be a divide. That's why this rule is bullshit because it gives one party an advantage over another. Surely that's common sense to you?

I see it as common sense that when I'm driving, I'm already in a position of power before an accident, being faster, far more visible and above all, completely safe from injury from the direct actions of cyclists and pedestrians.

As an aside, I think car drivers should be planning for potential accidents from the beginning of the journey.  If you're adapting to changing conditions and potential hazards, there really shouldn't be a point where you're in a collision that is particularly debatable regarding who is at fault.