aberdeen-music

Cool Thinkers Cool Thoughts & Local News Thread

Guest Cool Thinker

Guest Cool Thinker

I don't know why I even clicked on that but I for once was actually really pleased to read "The uploader has not made this video available in your country"

What country are you posting from because it is working fine for me in the United Kingdom, unless you are confusing it with "the uploader has not made this video available on mobile devices".

The video was the music video for the Steps song Better Best Forgotten.

Here are the lyrics for you to sing since you cannot get Steps to sing them for you:

"Better Best Forgotten"

If only you read my mind

You'd see I was hurt inside

A thousand times I've told myself it's over (it's over)

But the story has just begun

And darling whats done is done

It's time to change and leave the past behind

Why should we know all the answers

Or how the story ends (so baby)

Let's take a chance on a happy ending

(Let's) turn the page and stop pretending

The past can stop a heart from mending

It's time to let go 'cos baby you know 

Some things are better best forgotten

And baby we can't pretend 

In time the scars will mend

Please believe me theres a chance

let's take it (let's take it)

And maybe at last we'll find

That love should be true not blind

You can't decieve a heart that's open wide

(And) even now it's not to late

To change the story's end (so baby)

Let's take a chance on a happy ending

(Let's) turn the page and stop pretending

The past can stop a heart from mending

It's time to let go 'cos baby you know 

Some things are better best forgotten

The story has just begun 

Darlin' what's done is done

It's time to leave the past behind

[Chorus to fade...]

I think it would be best for this thread to be locked before its reputation is destroyed any further, if this was a TV show it would be cancelled.

I am not leaving the forum though.

Cool Thinkers Cool Thoughts & Local News Thread 

September 2012 - April 2013.

Not an option, no thanks.

Guest Cool Thinker

This is Jimmy-Corkhill-hallucinations levels of jumping the shark. Not cool.

There is nothing else to add it's not that I have ran out of ideas it's because you have got bored of the news.

Guest Cool Thinker

Since Cosmo is packed out the door all the time why don't they move into the other half of E&M's and utilise all the floors for dining.

Guest Cool Thinker

Jane Norman has now closed in the St Nicholas centre.

A Cat was killed in a hit and run on Monday 25th March 2013 at around 6.15pm on West Mount Street. The owner is appealing for witness to the murder to help get justice for the cat.

Edited by Cool Thinker

Guest Cool Thinker

Looking at the Aberdeen City Council planning applications I have found the following:

There are plans to open a Turkish bathes on George Street.

X-Leisure have filed an application to link the Amadeus & Riva Bingo units together into 1 unit. This unit is planned to be occupied by Home & Leisure retailer The Range and will feature a coffee shop. They are probably over the moon to finally find a suitable tenant after all these years.

Guest Cool Thinker

Virgin Atlantic's Little Red's domestic Aberdeen to London Heathrow service has officially launched and they now fly daily.

Guest Cool Thinker

Random Fact - When they were building Beach Boulevard Retail Park the owner initially did not want a supermarket to occupy the unit. This hints that the original design for the park could of been to similar to the other 2 blocks of the park. Woolworths must of contacted them when they were building the park to request the unit to be the size it is so I guess the owner was pretty upset when BigW failed and closed in 2005 and ASDA opened in it's place. The mark of BigW can still be seen with the giant empty circle on the wall outside that was originally a giant W on the circle.

Shame that BigW closed so early as I never got a proper look due to at the time not going to the beach that much. What did it sell?

Pretty boring fact but a fact none the less.

projects_bigw3.gif

projects_bigw2.gif

projects_bigw1.gif

Big_W-logo-7C36D21B91-seeklogo.com.gif

Edited by Cool Thinker
  • Upvote 1

Shame that BigW closed so early as I never got a proper look due to at the time not going to the beach that much. What did it sell?

It was just a Big Woolworths, sold a bit of everything.

My sister worked there for a bit and one time, as she was merchandising the shoe section, a man came up to her and asked if she could try on a pair of shoes that he wanted to buy for his daughter so he could see how they looked. She says he was sort of swaying and breathing heavily, which made her feel uncomfortable so she said no. He said, "Put the fucking shoes on" in a really raspy, dirty snarl and she got him kicked out. Great bunch of customers, all the best.

My cousin worked there too and would let people with loads more than 10 items come to the '10 items or less' till because he resented grammatical inaccuracy of the sign.

Also, they sold candy floss and "fresh" popcorn. I remember there being a story in the paper that stopped this for a while, because a little boy found a tooth in his box of popcorn bought there. There was outrage and then it turned out that his little sister had planted the tooth. (Edit: Here are the stories as I know you love sources, Cool Thinker: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/3114951.stm and http://www.thefreelibrary.com/THE+TOOTH+WILL+OUT%3B+Little+sister+hid+molar+in+boy%27s+popcorn.-a0106178421 )

I think she was the real culprit behind the demise of Woolies.

This is all the information I currently have on the Big W.

Edited by kirsten
  • Upvote 5

X-Leisure have filed an application to link the Amadeus & Riva Bingo units together into 1 unit. This unit is planned to be occupied by Home & Leisure retailer The Range and will feature a coffee shop. They are probably over the moon to finally find a suitable tenant after all these years.

This is going to be a cluster-fuck of massive proportions when it comes to parking, that car park is busy as hell for the restaurants, cinema, Codonas, etc that are there already...

Guest Cool Thinker

http://local.stv.tv/aberdeen/news/220848-former-aberdeen-nightclub-amadeus-could-become-the-range-store/

Reported on STV another thing that I brought you before the news. Keep quiet of the parking that is the reason why they scrapped putting a KFC  there.

Also all I remember buying from BigW was Candy floss that turned into a gum might of also bought a tent there or that could of been ASDA.

Edited by Cool Thinker

BigW was a giant clusterfuck. They brought in a bunch of regional managers from woolworths out in the sticks, each one more clueless than the next. I worked there before it opened (and about 2 weeks after it opened) when I was about 16/17, putting up shelves and such. My boss was the creepiest guy I've ever met. He would leer at the young girls who worked the tills and try get you to talk about which ones you fancied as if he was living out some sick fantasy. I still shudder thinking about it - I later learned he was previously fired by Morrisons for letching on girls there too.

People would come up to you and ask if you stocked something and you would have no clue if a) we did and b) if we did, which aisle to send them to. It quickly became clear that nobody had a clue what you were supposed to be buying there. Not a dept store, not a supermarket, not a pound store either. Really weird setup and I knew it wouldnt stay open long.

I decided I really didnt want to work there and fucked off half way through a shift to go watch a Scotland V Holland match. Never went back. Not the coolest way to leave a job but I was young and had very few fucks to give.

CSB

• Upvote 1