aberdeen-music

Cool Thinkers Cool Thoughts & Local News Thread

Guest Cool Thinker

Guest Cool Thinker

News

Bargain Books on Union Street are closing down.

&

From The Stagecoach Website

Service Changes From 15th April 2013

Service 5 will be withdrawn

Service 9U will no longer operate on Saturdays and will stop earlier.

Service N62 will replace Service N60 and will terminate at Ellon meaning no night service to Peterhead.

Service 66/66A will replace service 269.

Service 69/69A will replace service 286

Service 200 will be withdrawn.

The following services will have timetable changes.

1, 2/2A/2S, 4, X6/7/7A/7B/8, 37/37A, 59, 60/61/X60, 62/62A, 63, 65, 66/66A, 67/68/X67/X68, 69/69A, 201/202/203, 204, 205, 210, 218, 220/X20, 221, 274, 275, 421, 727, N17, N37, X7, X17
Edited by Cool Thinker

Guest Giles Walker

I once kept up an act to a friend for about a year where i would constantly pretend i was eating and drinking things i had found in the street. 

"check it out!" i would say "i just found this can of Vimto sitting on the street outside, barely any of it has be en consumed"

Or "I found these crisps on the ground next to the bus stop, someone must have put them down and forgotten about them"

I would purposefully buy food and drinks that were a bit odd, to further strengthen my claim that they were random items i had happened across on the pavement. 

After a while, and due mainly to the persistence of maintaining the facade of constantly eating street food, i managed to convince him that it was cool to just pick up and eat things lying in the street. 

The sad thing is, when he finally drank a quite rancid looking bottle of booze he found in the street, i felt nothing at all. 

I am not sure what i was expecting really.

I digress.

This thread reminds me of that year. 

Edited by Giles Walker
  • Upvote 11

Guest Cool Thinker

Bargain books is always closing down.

They have only been open for a few months and this is the first time I have seen them with closing down signs, explain?

Guest Cool Thinker

Sorry I'm referring to the book shop that located on union st. next to john menzies. I always call it bargain books. whats it called now? The works?

Where are John Menzies you have lost me, explain?

Guest Cool Thinker

Holburn junction end of union street, next to WH Smith (which used to be John Menzies).

Just found out why I would not know what John Menzies were because it turned into WHSmith in 1998, beside WHSmith is Pizza Express & The Works.

Edited by Cool Thinker

Guest Cool Thinker

Person Profile

Name - Myles Edwards

Age - 23 (Possibly 24)

Where does he live - Desswood Place, Aberdeen

Occupation - Businessman, Athlete 

Known For - Starring in the new Bank of Scotland advert, Winning The Union Street Mile Race 2012, Involvement in the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow

The Miles Edwards advert for Bank of Scotand will air in Cinema's and TV throughout Scotland for 2 years and filming locations included Aberdeen Beach, Revolution Bar Balcony, Belmont Street and Edwards Desswood Place home.

See he exists and the smug bastard has his picture on alot of bus stops.

Edited by Cool Thinker

Guest Cool Thinker

Both the republic's are closing down because the brand has been bought by USC and we already have one in Union Square so they are both going.

Warren James will be opening in the Bon Accord Centre.

Person Profile

Name - Myles Edwards

Age - 23 (Possibly 24)

Known For - Starring in the new Bank of Scotland advert, Winning The Union Street Mile Race 2012, Involvement in the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow

The Miles Edwards advert for Bank of Scotand will air in Cinema's and TV throughout Scotland for 2 years and filming locations included Aberdeen Beach, Revolution Bar Balcony, Belmont Street and Edwards Desswood Place home.

You're a weird, weird guy.

Guest Cool Thinker

Plans for a new Morrisons in Mastrick have been scrapped due to Tesco winning the court case.

A car from Mastrick was stolen and joyrided and then outside ASDA Portlethen was drenched in petrol and set alight.

A Man was killed today after being hit by a train a little north of Inverurie.

Guest Cool Thinker

Memories of shops that still exist there to some extent. WOAH!

Ottakar's - Gone

Pizza Hut - Gone

Christmas Lights - Gone

Trinity Logo - Gone

HMV (Shop) - Still there

HMV (Logo) - Gone

5/6 Gone

Edited by Cool Thinker

Guest Giles Walker

Person Profile

Name - Myles Edwards

Age - 23 (Possibly 24)

Can you explain this please?

I am getting that he is in an advert and that he seems smug to you, can you explain the rest please?

Ottakar's sign - Gone

Waterstones shop - still there

Pizza Hut sign - Gone

Redundant building - still there. Im sure there was something advertised to be moving in. I would have thought this info had been a Cool Thought by now. Maybe it has im not trawling back to check...

Christmas Lights - Gone - yes its not Xmas

Trinity Logo - Gone

Shopping centre - still there

HMV (Shop) - Still there

HMV (Logo) - Gone

5/6 Gone

If we are going to be setting rules for interpretation of the photo....

Ottakar's - Gone

Pizza Hut - Gone

Christmas Lights - Gone

Trinity Logo - Gone

HMV (Shop) - Still there

HMV (Logo) - Gone

5/6 Gone

Ottakar's is now Waterstones. Still a book shop, same company, pretty much.

Pizza Hut is barely in the photo.

Christmas lights - you're right, it's PC gone mad. I miss when the Christmas lights aren't up, even if it is almost April.

Trinity Logo - yes, okay. The shopping centre is still there.

HMV - jesus I give up

Do you really get nostalgic about the consumer experience from like, 4 years ago? That's sad as fuck.

Guest Giles Walker

Cool, do you only deal in actualities regarding new and failing businesses? Or are you able to predict where retail is headed next? If so, can you give us a summary of how you see the aberdeen high street looking in, say, 6 months from now?

If anybody on this forum could give an educated guess, it would definitely be Cool Thinker.