aberdeen-music

2012/2013 Season Thread

Scootray

I was really happy for Alba scoring his goal, he's been great all tournament. Great signing for Barca at a decent price. After his goal last night a student of mine told me this morning that "Alves is nothing" although I think a few sides will be frightened at the prospect of the two of them bombing down the flanks.

If Spain did go on to win a fourth major tournament, back to back world cups and be the first european side to win it outside of europe, it would be an unbelievable achievement. I imagine Brazil will be favourites along side them due to home advantage but the pressure could be too much. Scott Murray said on football daily that it will be 1950 all over again and he could well be right. Worst case for them would obv. be Messi and co winning it and with a non insane coach they just might. Plus we'll have all the talk about whether the young German side will come of age and win something but that's been going on since 06.

Anyway it's not the time for world cup chat, there's loads of Stoke and West Ham games to come before then.

So no Scottish players in the Olympic footy squad and no Beckham, no surprises there.

At last the conference fixtures came out today - forest fucking green rovers away opening game - our bogey team so I expect a defeat, that's three seasons on the trot we played our first game away from home.

Fair play to Spain for blitzing the Italians last night. Been an enjoyable tournament all round I feel.

Just three weeks to go till our first pre season friendly away at Cambridge City, bring it on!

I was really happy for Alba scoring his goal, he's been great all tournament. Great signing for Barca at a decent price. After his goal last night a student of mine told me this morning that "Alves is nothing" although I think a few sides will be frightened at the prospect of the two of them bombing down the flanks.

If Spain did go on to win a fourth major tournament, back to back world cups and be the first european side to win it outside of europe, it would be an unbelievable achievement. I imagine Brazil will be favourites along side them due to home advantage but the pressure could be too much. Scott Murray said on football daily that it will be 1950 all over again and he could well be right. Worst case for them would obv. be Messi and co winning it and with a non insane coach they just might. Plus we'll have all the talk about whether the young German side will come of age and win something but that's been going on since 06.

Anyway it's not the time for world cup chat, there's loads of Stoke and West Ham games to come before then.

Is South Africa now in Europe?

• Upvote 1

thing is though this Spain team can dominate for years to come and they have great players coming through so whilst it'll naturally be tough to go all the way in Brazil in 2014 it is certainly possible.

Anyways that it is way too ahead right now, back to this season methinks even if I do have nothing to comment on right now!

Depends on the weather. Spain can win 3 major tournaments in a row, but can they do it on a cold Tuesday night in Cambridge?

There is that factor to consider! Not sure they would adapt to one of those horrible wintry nights where the pitch is just about playable!

It's Cambridge's year!

It's been our year in the conference since 2005.... I suspect more of the same this forthcoming season till the christmas period when we always go crap for around 3 months and never recover to finish mid table (bar the two play off seasons in 2007 and 2008)

Rangers press corps are in overdrive at the moment with some amount of utter mince being published to try and muddy the waters and scare everyone into submission. Latest finger barf from Traynor is a belter:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/2012/07/03/rangers-in-crisis-breakaway-group-of-spl-chiefs-hold-secret-talks-to-keep-ibrox-newco-in-the-top-flight-86908-23903744/

Ah, it's a good time to work in public relations. Imagine the money those guys'll be getting purely for spreading utter gash.

On the bright side, I'm making a Football Manager database with Rangers in Div 3 and with no money to see what happens. ;)

There was hugely sensationalist (and verbose) headline in the Edinburgh Evening News last night that said 'If you kick Rangers out of the SPL you'll be kicking football to death.'

I'd like to see everyone associated with Rangers kicked to death.

I love how that Daily Record story is full of scaremongering and then finishes with "this isn't scaremongering, it's pure fact"

I cant see any team going back on what they have publically stated, its worth remembering that the jobs of guys like Traynor are under threat here as well, he is a Rangers man, who writes about Rangers for Rangers fans in newspapers and stuff, without Rangers in the SPL they will not get back page space every week, wont have countless colums in newspapers and wont have the majority of calls on sportsound on a sat afternoon, papers and the BBC will most likely make cut backs with all this, and the likes of Traynor will be near the top of the chopping block.