aberdeen-music

2012/2013 Season Thread

Scootray

Alan Smith is fucking GONE!

He really does have a hideously inexcusable barnet. I can't believe a man of his age still bleaches his hair. His voice also doesn't match his babyface. Those deep tones are as close to the brown-sound as a human voice can get. It makes Barry White sound like Roadrunner.

Italy definitely *can* win it, but I'm predicting Spain. That said, I've written Italy off in just about every game they've played and they've always proved me wrong, thankfully. Spain should probably win if they start with a striker, unless it's that clown who played against Portugal.

The key on Italy's side, for me, is good performances from Balotelli and Buffon. The rest of the team should take care of itself. The defence will be solid even though it looks like Abate will come in for Balzaretti (a poor decision, as Balza's been very good when he's played): Chiellini is very solid at LB were his clumsiness isn't such a factor, and Bonucci/Barzagli have been excellent all season. Pirlo will be ace, because he's the king. De Rossi and Marchisio will be solid, Montolivo will perform to his level (somewhere between "good" and "very good") and Cassano should continue to play well. He is quietly having an excellent tournament, even though he's only got about 60 minutes of football in him at the moment.

Balotelli will get chances. Pirlo, Cassano, and, to a lesser extent, Montolivo should guarantee that. Buffon will almost certainly have to deal with a lot of shots, which will be a problem if he's as shaky as he was at times against Germany. Big performances from both of them will make Italy incredibly difficult to beat tonight.

I find Spain a completely soul-destroying side to watch at the moment. I can't criticise them for adopting this playing style as it clearly works for them, but I don't enjoy watching it at all. They've not set the world on fire, but they've only conceded once. That's exactly what they planned, I think. Death by small cuts.

I hope to God that Italy win. Look at the squad and compare it to that of 2006. Worlds apart. Prandelli deserves it after the incredible work he's done to get this far alone (Italy are ranked 12th in the world, remember... lower than England, Portugal, Croatia and fucking Denmark), it just feels like he's destined to win this. On another note, I'd like to see Cassano come out victorious. He's had to wait a long time for a genuine chance at a major international tournament and he's played very well.

I'll say 1-0 to Spain but I hope I'm wrong.

I'd like to see a change from Spain with either Pedro or Navas starting. Spain played their most exciting football of the tournament in the extra time against Portugal once they were both on. Although Portugal's tiredness may have had something to do with it.

The only thing I'm sure of is that Iniesta will be great.

Italy having the bollocks to give them a hard time will be key too. For a 0-0, the Spain/Portugal game was very good, especially in the first half, and I think that was mostly down to Portugal not giving Spain the time on the ball they like to have. Eberyone says you have to be rigid and organised to defend against Spain, but they just threw that out of the window and went right for them. It was great. Italy will have a big engine in De Rossi and Marchisio. Lots of movement. Hopefully they're not too knackered.

What was it? 6-0? 7-0? I started getting drunk towards the end and lost count.

I don't think there is much else to say, other than congratulating Spain for consolidating the fact that they are the best national team of all time. To win these three tournaments back to back is one thing, to win the third final 9-0 against Italy is something else. As much as I wanted Italy to win the the thing, Spain were fantastic to watch last night. Fabregas is so fucking good. Also, Jordi Alba's goal was silly good. I made him my captain for the fantasy league and he won me 28 points, winning me the ab-mus league. That guy.

I think 3 back to back tournaments definitely cements Spain as the best national team of all time. Who can even be compared to them? Pele's Brazil and Maradona's Argentina still never won back to back major trophies. Realistically they are still going to be favourites for 2014, as they've still got so many great young players coming through, though their line up isn't really that old anyway. I think only Xavi and Puyol will be question marks for 2014 who will be 34 and 36 by then respectively, though I wouldn't rule them out entirely. The only thing that would rule them out is fitness rather than not being good enough, for sure.

They only conceded 1 goal and looked mostly comfortable. And they did it all without David Villa. And to think of all the younger players who will have more experience for club and country by the time 2014 rolls around. Alba, Martinez, Muniain, Thiago, Isco. Bloody hell.