aberdeen-music

2012/2013 Season Thread

Scootray

If he isn't perma-knacked then I'll be happy. He was the best defender I've seen play for us in his first stint on Teesside. He's nowhere near that standard these days but then neither are we and it's safe to assume he won't be on massive wages this time so I think it's a risk worth taking. We also resigned Stuart Parnaby this week as a replacement for Hoyte/McMahon who both left at the end of their contracts. He'd been training with us since Birmingham let him go last year so he must have shown enough for Mowbray to offer him a contract. Pleased again with that one - he played in a UEFA Cup final dontcha know.

• Upvote 1

I think 3 back to back tournaments definitely cements Spain as the best national team of all time. Who can even be compared to them? Pele's Brazil and Maradona's Argentina still never won back to back major trophies.

I've been looking into this a bit... /Wikipedia

If one counts the South American Championship (that era's Copa América) then Pele's Brazil didn't win back to back trophies, but it seems that tournament was largely an, ahem, diddy cup back then... it was held in 3 consecutive years at one point, and then not at all for 8 years. In one edition Brazil apparently sent a team composed of players from only one state. You might also want to consider whether the 2009 Confederations Cup is relevant, in which Spain were put out in the semis by the USA.

In any case, Pele's Brazil won back-to-back World Cups (which Spain haven't done...yet) in 1958 and '62 and won 3 out of 4 World Cups between 1958 and 1970 (and during the 1966 Cup they suffered political interference and a lot of hacking). Now, that's "Pele's Brazil" by virtue of the fact that Pele played in all 4 of those Cups... however pretty sure no other player played in both the '58 and 70's Cups. Nevertheless, if anything, "Garrincha's Brazil" of '58 and '62 would have to be comparable. In a reverse of Android's point about Spain, '58 is the only time a South American team won the Cup in Europe.

Not sure I'd think of Maradona's Argentina in a consideration of the best national teams ever, more like just Maradona in a consideration of best players ever. But other teams I'd reckon to be in contention would be Beckenbauer's (West) Germany, who also won back-to-back major trophies: 1972 Euros and the 1974 World Cup, where they beat Cruyff's Netherland's in the final (they also reached the Euro 1976 final and lost it on penalties). And Zidane's France of 1998 and 2000: again back-to-back major trophies and those were pretty classic Brazil and Italy teams that they overcame in the finals, imo. They also won the Confederations Cup in 2001 :D where they beat another classic, soon-to-be World Champs Brazil, and hammered everyone else. And getting a bit unfashionable, maybe 1930s Italy: also back-to-back World Cups and trophies (no Euros then), bearing in mind Mussolini's alleged interference in '34.

An argument could also be made for Puskás-era, 1950s Hungary for sheer dominance and lasting tactical influence. On paper it looks like they didn't win anything, but WWII and the 1956 Hungarian Revolution limited the Cups they could play in (though can't find out why they didn't make the 1950 Cup); they controversially lost the '54 final (which Puskás essentially played with a broken ankle; they'd beaten the victorious Germans 8-3 in the group stages); no Euros then; and they did win the Olympics and something called the Central European International Cup. Then again, one might write off the huge scorelines they inflicted as just symptomatic of a backward nature of the sport back then, when an amateur team (which West Germany were) could become World Champions.

/Cool essay.

• Upvote 2

If he isn't perma-knacked then I'll be happy. He was the best defender I've seen play for us in his first stint on Teesside. He's nowhere near that standard these days but then neither are we and it's safe to assume he won't be on massive wages this time so I think it's a risk worth taking. We also resigned Stuart Parnaby this week as a replacement for Hoyte/McMahon who both left at the end of their contracts. He'd been training with us since Birmingham let him go last year so he must have shown enough for Mowbray to offer him a contract. Pleased again with that one - he played in a UEFA Cup final dontcha know.

Yeah I would have taken him on a pay as you play. He is the reason 27 is one of my lottery numbers.

Yeah I would have taken him on a pay as you play. He is the reason 27 is one of my lottery numbers.

looks like he's going to ease himself into the role of club captain too. Makes sense as a straight swap for Matthew Bates who's also out of contract now because we can't afford his wages anymore.

I saw Ally McCoist on Sky Sports News this morning greeting that he's only got 6 players, and a transfer embargo. I lolled.

6 first team players. They still have a huge squad of players, mostly shite ones and youth though.

But where does Darren Mackie's Aberdeen fit into this?

I guess the real point I was trying to make was, if Darren Mackie was alive in the 50s, and played in the Scotland team that lost 4-2 to Hungary in 1955, then we would have in fact kicked the shit out of Puskás's team and had another "unofficial World Champions" (OK, "Unofficial Central European International Champions") best-national-team-ever to talk about. Or something.

6 first team players. They still have a huge squad of players, mostly shite ones and youth though.

Yeah I didn't think of all the stiffs. So who's left from last season?

1 GK Allan McGregor

2 DF Dorin Goian

4 DF Kirk Broadfoot

5 DF Saša Papac

6 MF Lee McCulloch

7 MF Maurice Edu

8 MF Steven Davis (captain)

10 FW John Fleck

11 FW Kyle Lafferty

12 DF Lee Wallace

14 FW Steven Naismith

15 FW David Healy

17 MF Juan Manuel Ortiz

18 DF Carlos Bocanegra (vice-captain)

19 MF Sone Aluko

21 MF Alejandro Bedoya

22 DF Kyle Bartley (On loan from Arsenal)

25 GK Neil Alexander

26 MF Jamie Ness

28 MF Salim Kerkar

30 GK Scott Gallacher

31 GK Grant Adam

32 DF Ross Perry

34 FW Andrew Little

35 MF Kyle Hutton

36 DF Darren Cole

37 DF Chris Hegarty

38 FW Kane Hemmings

39 MF Gordon Dick

41 MF Rhys McCabe

41 MF Andrew Mitchell

42 FW Kal Naismith

Yeah I didn't think of all the stiffs. So who's left from last season?

1 GK Allan McGregor

2 DF Dorin Goian

4 DF Kirk Broadfoot

5 DF Saša Papac

6 MF Lee McCulloch

7 MF Maurice Edu

8 MF Steven Davis (captain)

10 FW John Fleck

11 FW Kyle Lafferty

12 DF Lee Wallace

14 FW Steven Naismith

15 FW David Healy

17 MF Juan Manuel Ortiz

18 DF Carlos Bocanegra (vice-captain)

19 MF Sone Aluko

21 MF Alejandro Bedoya

22 DF Kyle Bartley (On loan from Arsenal)

25 GK Neil Alexander

26 MF Jamie Ness

28 MF Salim Kerkar

30 GK Scott Gallacher

31 GK Grant Adam

32 DF Ross Perry

34 FW Andrew Little

35 MF Kyle Hutton

36 DF Darren Cole

37 DF Chris Hegarty

38 FW Kane Hemmings

39 MF Gordon Dick

41 MF Rhys McCabe

41 MF Andrew Mitchell

42 FW Kal Naismith

I'd imagine Goian, Broadfoot and Alexander will be off too, but havn't read anything official. Nae idea who the rest are.

I'd imagine Goian, Broadfoot and Alexander will be off too, but havn't read anything official. Nae idea who the rest are.

Pretty sure Alexander and Broadfoot have committed. Doesn't mean they won't be punted by Green though

Do you think Sheffield Wednesday might be worth a shout for him? I mean, they loved a bit of Francis "fox in the box" Jeffers. Healy and Jeffers have both had glittering Rangers careers...

Not now Wednesday are on the up. Big Jones in charge, bringing in big names like Chris Kirkland and whatshisface who used to play for Aberdeen who I mentioned the other week. The one who looks like he should be wearing a tracksuit, sitting at a bus stop, asking passers by if they've got a light. He's going to tear it up, with his average pace and his dislike of passing.

I always forget Jeffers had a Rangers stint. I believe a goalless one at that. Unlike his explosive FIVE GOALS in SIXTY GAMES for Wednesday. Powerhouse.

• Upvote 1