aberdeen-music

2012/2013 Season Thread

Scootray

Nah, I don't buy that at all. The guy is clearly very upset and distressed, and rightly so, and reacts unfavourably. However, there is only so much a person's professionaly etiquette can be criticised and under these circumstances, and given his personal account of things (i.e. that the chanting started during their warm up) his red card should not stand. He shouldn't be punished for the altercation.

Nope red card every time, what if had hit a kid or started a riot. As I said I would have done worse but it is clearly a red card offense. Very simple.

Whilst the racism is terrible and Serbia should be hammered, i can see why Rose was sent off, he could have ignited an already extrememely volatile situation. In any other situation where a player had received abuse and he reacted by punting the ball at the crowd you would accept a red card, i dont see this being different. Whilst i completely symapthyse with him, and the situation should never have happened, but he was reckless and deserved the card.

I don't think any of us can really say if he acted recklessly or not. I have no idea what it feels like to be racially abused. I can only assume it is incredibly hurtful. He doesn't seem to question the red card. He takes that on the chin and good on him. His only crime is kicking the ball away. Why does the referee only punish that action? Sterling and Rose are getting grabbed, pushed and thrown around, and the referee isn't doing anything about that, which I feel are far worse than what Rose did. I think the referee should have been stepping in and protecting the black players, but to give the victim the worst punishment on the pitch is pretty ridiculous.

Secondly, I've never seen someone red carded for kicking a ball away. Everytime I've seen someone do it, it's been a yellow card at best. I saw Jermaine Johnson do it for Wednesday where he booted the ball out of the stands because a goal kick was given instead of a corner. That was a yellow.

You say that circumstances don't matter, but then you say that him kicking out could have started a riot, so the circumstances do matter really, and the referee should have protected him, not vicitimised him even further, in my opinion.

I don't think any of us can really say if he acted recklessly or not. I have no idea what it feels like to be racially abused. I can only assume it is incredibly hurtful. He doesn't seem to question the red card. He takes that on the chin and good on him. His only crime is kicking the ball away. Why does the referee only punish that action? Sterling and Rose are getting grabbed, pushed and thrown around, and the referee isn't doing anything about that, which I feel are far worse than what Rose did. I think the referee should have been stepping in and protecting the black players, but to give the victim the worst punishment on the pitch is pretty ridiculous.

Secondly, I've never seen someone red carded for kicking a ball away. Everytime I've seen someone do it, it's been a yellow card at best. I saw Jermaine Johnson do it for Wednesday where he booted the ball out of the stands because a goal kick was given instead of a corner. That was a yellow.

You say that circumstances don't matter, but then you say that him kicking out could have started a riot, so the circumstances do matter really, and the referee should have protected him, not vicitimised him even further, in my opinion.

In my opinion it's a yellow if you kick the ball away, kicking it into the stands is different. You are totally right about the ref not sorting out the other stuff going on but I still say he should have walked and as you say he doesn't seem to be too unhappy about the red more unhappy about the backwards dickheads.

Yeah, I agree. The red is the least of the concerns really. I think the players grabbing at swiping at Sterling and Rose should have been off too. It's the inconsistency mostly, and the lack of protection for the players being abused. But hopefully FIFA will give them a kick in the head about the whole thing. It's not the first time Serbian supporters have been involved in racist incidents.

• Upvote 1

Your missing the point, its not the ref's job to stop racist chants, thats FIFA's job, the ref cannot protect the player from that, short of ending the game, now that could be another argument but in terms of the actions of Rose, the ref was spot on. Rose could have seriously hurt someone with what he did, a player kicking a ball out of anger directed at the crowd is not the same as kicking it out when frustrated over a decision. The ref cannot punish Serbia or the Serbian fans, so again thats a mute point, he can only punish the players. The Serbian players are doing the same that happens week in week out in the EPL, pushing and barging is common place in football over contested issues, if you want to see them red carded then we will get to the point that very few games ever finish with 11 players on the park, pointless really.

Ill point out again that i think the chants and whatever happened are shocking, and action needs to be taken, Serbia should be fucking hammered. Im not in anyway condoning that.

I think what happened last night was more than barging and pushing. They were taking swipes at Sterling and Rose. Jack Butand got a kick in the legs when he was infact trying to keep the peace and get Rose plus others off the pitch. We'll agree to disagree over Rose kicking the ball, but a lack of consistency over the other incidents on the pitch at the final whistle is a bit of a shame.

However... The biggest mystery is why didn't Stuart Pearce UNLEASH THE FURY? If there's one man you want to stamp out racism, it's Psycho. Who's gonna mess?

Surely the ref showing a red card could have caused as much trouble as kicking the ball away? There was already a serious amount of tension on the park and to me he had lost control of the situation and felt the need to react. If it was a red card offence then call the player(s) to the referees office after the game to issue punishment then. He could have got a reaction from his actions as much as Rose got one for kicking the ball away. His priority should have been to resolve the situation and get the players off the park and then deal with punishments. It's difficult to be a ref at the best of times and he should have received better assistance from anyone in a position of authority (stewards, police, etc) but he couldn't handle what was going on in front of him.

Not a red in my opinion though.

Surely the ref showing a red card could have caused as much trouble as kicking the ball away? There was already a serious amount of tension on the park and to me he had lost control of the situation and felt the need to react. If it was a red card offence then call the player(s) to the referees office after the game to issue punishment then. He could have got a reaction from his actions as much as Rose got one for kicking the ball away. His priority should have been to resolve the situation and get the players off the park and then deal with punishments. It's difficult to be a ref at the best of times and he should have received better assistance from anyone in a position of authority (stewards, police, etc) but he couldn't handle what was going on in front of him.

Not a red in my opinion though.

How is it not a red? He kicked a ball in anger AT the fans, now some of them were acting like complete dicks, not all of them though.

I only saw one clip last night but it looked like he kicked the ball in frustration rather than delibrately launching the ball at the crowd (did the ball even go into the crowd?). If it was intentionally launched into the opposition support then yes, red card but to me the ball was in front of him and he kicked it in frustration of the situation.

So pissed off I cannot attend Cambridge v Luton in the FA Cup 4th qualifying round tomorrow, should be a cracker and new head coach Richard Money has a point to prove against the team who sacked him a couple of years ago... we'll probably lose in any case!