aberdeen-music

2012/2013 Season Thread

Scootray

There's a rule in american football around incidental contact where a receiver and a defender are running downfield in pursuit of a thrown ball. Basically it states that as long as the defender has his eyes on the ball and is not actively impeding the receiver, then it's any incidental contact is part of the game. That Torres gif made me think of it because the defender is watching for the ball through and therefore has no way of knowing where Torres is. As a result, incidental contact is possible, but it's not a foul in my eyes.

I've asked a referee about it too. That's a good rule, for sure. There surely has to be intent for there to be a foul. I don't mean intent to foul, necessarily (because obviously where there's an intention to go for the ball and you play the man then that wouldn't work); but an intent to perform an action which result in a foul, I guess.

There's a rule in american football around incidental contact where a receiver and a defender are running downfield in pursuit of a thrown ball. Basically it states that as long as the defender has his eyes on the ball and is not actively impeding the receiver, then it's any incidental contact is part of the game. That Torres gif made me think of it because the defender is watching for the ball through and therefore has no way of knowing where Torres is. As a result, incidental contact is possible, but it's not a foul in my eyes.

That would surely require video replays to put into practice though. Plus it would create too many grey areas and things open to interpretation, like arms being in an unnatural position for a handball, players interfering with play for an offside etc. They should leave things black and white. Ball hits an arm, handball. Any attacking player offisde, call offside.

Also a massive ban if a player gets caught diving by video panel.

From a video replay point of view, notat all, the officials must be looking at these incidents in some capacity already, otherwise there'd be a free kick every time someone fell over.

Totally agree with the bans for diving too. Anyone who dives and is seen to have done so either live or on video gets an immediate ban. It needs stamped out of the game

That would surely require video replays to put into practice though. Plus it would create too many grey areas and things open to interpretation, like arms being in an unnatural position for a handball, players interfering with play for an offside etc. They should leave things black and white. Ball hits an arm, handball. Any attacking player offisde, call offside.

Also a massive ban if a player gets caught diving by video panel.

we've had this discussion in a season thread before. the handball rule already factors in intent. pretty sure accidental handball isn't a foul, though it's routinely given.

if we are actually ok with fouls being given just for players bumping into each other by accident, then we really are turning football into a shit shit game. you've got lots of players running around, occasionally they will bump into other players. or in the case of torres and bale, occasionally they will be lightly wafted by the flapping shoelace of the trailing defender and throw themselves to the ground with more theatrics than a wwe wrestler guesting in a pantomime. it's shite.

Have we forgotton that it isn't a non-contact sport? Players should be able to get gently brushed and not fall over

If someone is running, and they get clipped on the heel from behind, they are more than likely going to kick themselves and trip over. It's soft, but if you're causing someone to fall on their face by impeding them, then it has to be a foul. I don't think it has anything to do with it being a contact sport or not. Look at rugby for instance, ankle taps are pretty common. One knock of the ankle from a diving defender and they are falling face first into the turf.

The Chilean defender got sent off as it was a second yellow. Still totally harsh, but I think the referee considered it to be hindering a possible goalscoring opportunity.

It's difficult to start deciding what is and isn't a foul depending on intent, especially because a large proportion of fouls are just slightly late, mistimed tackles, with no intent of touching the player. There's no intent there, but the defender gets caught out, and it's a foul. It's accidental, but if it's same if a player accidentally clips the ankle of someone running. You're impeding the player, and causing them to go tumbling through no fault of their own. It's harsh if it's not a foul, really.

I don't really think the Torres gif is theatrical at all personally. He's clipped and subsequently tripped completely unexpectedly whilst at pace. I think most people would fall over like that if clipped from behind by surprise. I got ankle tapped whilst playing rugby at school once. It completely took me by surprise. I ended up fumbling the ball and falling onto said ball with my face. There's no way to be graceful when you're not expecting to be tripped.

• Upvote 1

Ryan Fraser got injured for the U19s as well. Though I think he's expected to recover quickly.

That's because he's made of granite. Everyone seems to be so impressed that he just gets up and gets on with it and rightly so in this day and age of the aforementioned playacting fuds. However, I can see a really bad injury on the horizon if defenders continue to scythe him down. He does draw fouls I suppose by seemingly showing too much of the ball to the defender and then nicking it away at the final second.

The polish media officer says the following -

"At the moment it is not possible to close the roof because of the heavy rain and the wind. It might be possible. We have a heating system which, if we close the roof, can dry the pitch in 30 minutes. I know this situation is not very nice, but please wait until the inspection."

Best. Roof. Ever.