aberdeen-music

Football Manager 2012

Soda Jerk

I restarted the 1860 Munich challenge after my game crashed, joined a month earlier than the previous time though, so had a lot longer to build a team / backroom. Playing way better than in the previous game, still sticking to the "rigid / defensive / no creative freedom" mantra, but playing way better, at same stage as in last game and sitting 2nd with a lot more goals scored.

Playing in the German leagues is pretty great bar the month long winter break. My Weisbaden save is definitely my favourite stint so far. United was too easy, and Argie football is just too mental. I don't really understand their league system enough to really enjoy the River Plate game. It's also very hard to sign players, as anyone with a remote bit of talent pins all their hopes on going to Europe.

Screw it. Not doing anything else tonight. Went with my gut instinct and picked newly founded Scarborough Athletic, after Division Three (now League Two) Scarborough FC were wound up in 2007 with debts of £2.5million. Almost picked FC United, but fuck those back-turning traitor cunts. What's happened since you whingey little twats turned your back on Man Utd? 4 league titles and 3 champions league finals? Sounds horrible. You obviously made the right choice in starting your poxy little club as an act of rebellion against your predicted demise of Manchester United. Fuck all y'all.

2114-user_icon.jpg

Yeah, that's a seagull. Everyone fears the seagull right? Cover your food and put up your brolly!

Scarborough Athletic ply their traide in the Northern Counties Football League Premier Division. The 9th tier of English football, 5 divisions below the football league. The club itself is worth £3,000 and the wage budget is £800 PER WEEK. £800 to distribute around THE ENTIRE SQUAD. t'Big Bastard, born and raised in 'Ull, isn't used to such restrictions, but no doubt the dressing room, no matter how small, rickety and non-water-tight, will be transformed into a cauldron of discipline.

Being a newly formed club, we have to groundshare with rival seaside resort Bridlington Town in their shitbag seaside hellhole:

2010_0925Scarborough0004.JPG

Obviously this only heats up the biggest east coast rivalry in English football, and that takes into account the prissy and heinously overhyped Tyne and Weir derby, Norwich vs Ipswich and Hull vs Grimsby. Scarby vs Brid takes all the cake. They'll be fucking fighting on the beach. Even our Seagulls are harder than theirs. Theirs might steal bags of fish and chips. Ours steal handbags and motorbikes. Don't mess, or get shit on.

It's just a shame that FM assigns generated players to amateur clubs, as the real life Scarborough Athletic currently boast a frontline including this guy:

_44545253_dean_windass_sns300.jpg

That's Dean Windass, now at a spritely age of 43. A fellow Hullonian like t'Big Bastard himself. Unfortunately, the game of Football Manager just gives me a group of simulated Yorkshirites. Some of them are alright actually, and the media predicts a 1st place finish. We'll see...

The challenge? Success? Fuck off. Trophies are secondary. Money can get fucked. The philosophy is to run Scarborough Athletic alot like Athletic Bilbao. I'm only going to sign players born and raised in the county of Yorkshire, and I certainly won't be sacrificing philosophy for success. My current shortlist consists of James Milner and Alan Smith. We'll see how that goes.

SEADOGS!

tumblr_ltkaguIqw51qa3ghzo1_500.jpg

• Upvote 3

I've just axed everyone who wasn't born in Yorkshire. I've got 10 first team players left, but I've got a squad of kids who were all born in East Riding. Most of them are dogshit, but there's a 15yr old striker in there with 11 for pace and 9 for finishing. I think he's going to be my diamond in the rough.

Don't like whoever is calling the shots in the boardroom. I don't have a physio or a fitness coach. Tried to bring one of each in. Board stepped in and cancelled both moves. Apparently we don't need either. Hopefully everyone knows how to use the magic sponge...

t'Big Bastard is disgruntled.

I just downloaded that ten-tier patch and have selected as my weapon of choice:

BILLINGHAM SYNTHONIA

billingham-synthonia-249544646.jpg

Not only do they sound like an 80s electro group apparently they've actually won something! Chosen purely based on their name, The Synners currently float like a sturdy turd in the Northern League and are so obscure Wikipedia doesn't even know what their away kit looks like.

The only club in England to be named after a fertiliser - except maybe Liverpool - Synthonia share a harsh rivalry with Billingham Town. Despite Billingham being a paltry 36,000 people big they have a stadium each; Town's is indoor (astroturf!) while we've got good old-fashioned well-fertilised grass.

For some reason, when I arrived my goalkeeper was taking all the free-kicks and corners. Cool, but not exactly practical when we're predicted to finish mid-table. Here's the squad that was generated for me, pre-pruning (did get rid of two of them already, but they were both woefully bad):

SS%202012-04-30%20at%2003.03.53.png

SS%202012-04-30%20at%2003.04.03.png

All in all it could be a lot worse. It's saying something when my goalie is the best free-kicker in the whole team, but hey, amateur sides = amateur contracts. So satisfying to boot them out and not have to pay a penny.

Obviously there's still a lot of trimming to do there, and we're getting a parent club sorted apparently (I bet it's someone in the BSN), so it'll be a Bittersweet Synth-ony in Billingham when I'm done with them.

I just smashed Billingham in a friendly at the beginning of my season.

I also had an ex from Billingham. It really was a hellhole. I had some of the best chips and cheese there however, and it had a pretty neat Ice Hockey shop.

Days seem to take ages to skip through since there's 10 tiers of football to simulate results for. That's the only draw back. In other news, one of my youth players has been called up for the England U19's. Thom Oxley. East Riding's answer to Claude Makelele.

I had never heard of the town of Billingham before this endeavour so that probably says something. Probably not a nice place if it was entirely built around the chemical industry (granted we're built around an arguably more dirty industry but whatever)

Weirdest thing about managing an amateur side is that your players just come and go as they please.

All this 10 tiers of football leagues reeks of hipsterism...

Not really. I originally asked if lower league teams can be made playable, purely because I wanted to play as the newly reformed Scarborough Athletic. I had a soft spot for them in their original form. Used to play as them on Sensible Soccer career mode when they were actually a professional club.

It's a completely different game when you're not a professional team. There's no wages to pay (or they are very minimal) and the turnaround of players is ridiculous. It's fun. I played as Man United and that got too easy, and I played as a 3rd division German side and got them into the Bundesliga pretty quickly. It's more of a challenge knowing that any form of success at all is many many years away. It becomes more about survival than aiming for anything.

Besides. Hipsters don't even like football.

Not really. I originally asked if lower league teams can be made playable, purely because I wanted to play as the newly reformed Scarborough Athletic. I had a soft spot for them in their original form. Used to play as them on Sensible Soccer career mode when they were actually a professional club.

It's a completely different game when you're not a professional team. There's no wages to pay (or they are very minimal) and the turnaround of players is ridiculous. It's fun. I played as Man United and that got too easy, and I played as a 3rd division German side and got them into the Bundesliga pretty quickly. It's more of a challenge knowing that any form of success at all is many many years away. It becomes more about survival than aiming for anything.

Alright Statto dry yer eyes.

I just like to play the game, i don't need any added "value". Horses for course. Enjoy your epic foray into football obscurity, i'm happy with the prawn sangers ;)

Hipsters aren't supposed to like football, so they do it, but only to be ironic.

Started a game as Aberdeen after my last ill-fated attempt. I had a predictably piss-poor budget to start with, so I flogged Darren Mackie to Watford for £60k, released Yoann Folly and sent Mark Reynolds back to Sheff Wed. That gave me about £7k of wages to play with, so I signed ex-Blackpool man Salaheddine Sbai and former Ajax RB Emmanuel Boakye on free transfers to fill the starting full-back positions. Unwilling to play Michael Paton or the piss-poor Daniel Uchechi as my starting left-winger, I brought Ferne Snoyl back to the Pitt in a blaze of glory. Pandemonium broke out upon his unveiling:-

post-24-1184804212.jpg

I promptly cancelled all of my pre-season friendlies and replaced them with games against non-league teams just to show everyone how fucking hard my ladz are. We rounded-off our pre-season smashfest with a 7-0 trouncing of Banchory St. Ternan, after which I took the boys down this place for some pints, fights and eccies:-

We're playing a 4-4-2, because this is Britain and every other formation is for soft cunts. Brown, Boakye, Arnason, Considine, Sbai, Pawlett, Fyvie, Milsom, Snoyl, Magennis and Vernon is the starting XI. Brown is total shit though, and I probably shouldn't play Magennis - he has something like 7 for finishing but he's strong and determined. That's all that matters, eh?

Bummed St. Johnstone 3-0 in the opening game of the season. One each from Arnason, Fyvie and Vernon. Magennis played a stinker and Brown played like Peter Enckleman in his prime. Garbage 'keeper. Fortunately The Iceman was on-hand to balloon it up the park every time JB fumbled it, otherwise we'd have been banged.

Up the Dons. We're going to Europe next season, or Iraq. Depends on Jason Brown's butter fingers.

• Upvote 3

What do you think of when someone mentions Belgium?

stella-4-cans.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRKYtH3dmkxjbd3H7mnacul5GkpJi0ZdLuAX9wsdf7ZuRGhjzHKf2TJfgxQ

Two very good things but I've decided to change all that and make Belgium a hot bed of high quality European football. Fuck Spain, Italy and all those other slags. Belgium!

However I had no knowledge of Belgian football at all. So after a quick flick through wikipedia I jumped in and chose S.V Zulte Waregem. Pictured below showing off the VIP booth's newly acquired chemical toilet.

DSC_0048.JPG

They've played in the UEFA cup, once in 2006-2007. They were chucked out by Newcastle.

They look plucky. They've had a suckle on the warm teat of European football and they want more of it's rich, tasty milk.

My grand plan for Waregem is to win a European title by playing the most aggressive football known to man. No flashy shit just straight up hoofing of footballs and sliding tackles.

I'll need to get a decent league finish as I've promised the board a top half finish in return for some extra cash for transfers and wages. The cash situation in the club is pretty mental. I have a 7k transfer budget but a 48k a week wage total. Mental.

Gonna have to try and build a better midfield with free transfers I think. Hopefully they will go as smoothly as Waregem's previous transfers..

596bb418a467b8bd6e35006b33b64602-getty-508585565.jpg

Could they look anymore relaxed?

Midfield is in a serious state. Only one player with stats and age on his side. The rest are below average and are getting on a wee bit. They'll get hoofed and replaced with some big hard lads with no fear of yellow cards. If their aggression is below 15 I'm not intrested!

The fans seem a bit too nice though. No balaclavas, petrol bombs or riot police in sight sadly.

0.jpg

I don't mind this one so much though...

1_po8a6f0bdea6c2e04e.jpg

Essevee!

Last friendly of the season just came and went:

SS%202012-05-02%20at%2001.25.04.png

Apart from that penalty miss (which seems to be happening every game!) I think it's safe to say we bossed out there. Stephen Stirling some might recognise as being ex-Rangers - he was dumped a few years ago and I don't think he ever appeared in the first team. Looking to be a mighty good signing, so let's see how long we can hold onto him for...

But anyway, didn't lose a single preseason match which sets us up nicely to tear up the Northern League Division One. Somehow got a draw against the mighty Berwick, to the delight of the Synners' fans.

Synthonia!

EDIT: Also, I utterly love this wee message that comes up just before your first competitive game:

SS%202012-05-02%20at%2001.58.39.png

I got sacked. I sold too many players - dirty non-Yorkshire born scumbags. I only had a squad of 18 players, and there was something about the reserve squad not being able to field a team, cos I got rid of all them too. It's not my fault they had a bunch of imposters on the books.

That wasn't worth how long it took to set up the 10 tiers.

• Upvote 1

I got sacked. I sold too many players - dirty non-Yorkshire born scumbags. I only had a squad of 18 players, and there was something about the reserve squad not being able to field a team, cos I got rid of all them too. It's not my fault they had a bunch of imposters on the books.

That wasn't worth how long it took to set up the 10 tiers.

Gutted. I hope that doesn't happen to me, since I just signed someone, realised he was pish, and released him next day. Hohum.