aberdeen-music

Football Manager 2012

Soda Jerk

A great first season in Portugal with P Ferreira, finished 6th in the league (the teams highest ever) even managed to get the odd result against the big three including a memorable tanking of Sporting Lisbon (who are gash on this game admittedly) 2-0 at their place when a 9/1 outsider and thus qualified for the Euro Cup, beat Sarajevo now have to play some team called Hearts to make it to the group stage. Keep getting linked with loads of jobs but no offers on the table as yet.

I'm kicking the bollocks off everyone in season 6 at Arsenal. Got a good lead at the top of the table, new striker Tomas Necid who I signed as a long term replacement for RVP is smashing them in and keeping RVP out of the team already.

Funny thing happened today. For the past couple weeks I've been working 15.30 - 00.00. My day goes like this - get up around 11. Play Football Manager until 2pm. Get dressed and go to work. 00.30. Get home. Play Football Manager until 3am. But today, I woke up, and I just didn't want to play. I tidied the house instead. What is happening to me?

I'm kicking the bollocks off everyone in season 6 at Arsenal. Got a good lead at the top of the table, new striker Tomas Necid who I signed as a long term replacement for RVP is smashing them in and keeping RVP out of the team already.

Funny thing happened today. For the past couple weeks I've been working 15.30 - 00.00. My day goes like this - get up around 11. Play Football Manager until 2pm. Get dressed and go to work. 00.30. Get home. Play Football Manager until 3am. But today, I woke up, and I just didn't want to play. I tidied the house instead. What is happening to me?

Have you been exposed to any kind of seafood that you're not used to? Are you well hydrated?

• Upvote 1

I just lost 2-1 to Spurs in the League Cup final but decided not to save it and try again. GOOD!!! I had to get that off my chest. It was too unfair. All my good players are injured and I had two men sent off by 50 minutes. The game hates me, so I will try again. I just hope the FM Gods will forgive me. Will you guys forgive me?

Aw man, never do that! I used to save before important games, but now that I've returned to FM after a year long absence I've not done it once. My Rushden & Diamonds side are destroying all. In the play-offs in League 1, halfway through the 2014/15 season, although I just have FM10, so this is my sixth season.

Still. I might do a big post on my team on Sunday. I love this game more than almost every person I know.

How do network games work? Is it turn by turn basis or both at the same time then whoever finishes first waits for the other person to finish? Either way, it sounds shit.

Its terrible. Basically you have to wait for the other person to click continue, or you can set up a set amount of time before it automatically continues, but is shit it takes forever to get anything done and you have to manually set up the network as SI dont have a server. They used to do FM live but it only lasted a year or so, and had huge flaws about it, mostly to make it work people had to be online all the time or the AI would handle your team, have the time you were playing a computer anyway.

I just lost 2-1 to Spurs in the League Cup final but decided not to save it and try again. GOOD!!! I had to get that off my chest. It was too unfair. All my good players are injured and I had two men sent off by 50 minutes. The game hates me, so I will try again. I just hope the FM Gods will forgive me. Will you guys forgive me?

Never, you've sullyed your game now.

I only replayed a game twice, both were against Liverpool when I was pretty new to the game. I got hammered 4-0 and I had no idea why. I replayed the game, and matched their formation, as I couldn't get the ball. That seemed to work, and I hammered them 3-0. I learned from it. I replayed another game against Liverpool later on as my new signing, Hazard, came back from a 6 month absence (getting injured 6 minutes into his debut) only to get injured before half time with ANOTHER broken leg. Fuck that shit. Quit and replay. I was winning 2-0 too. I am a cunt, but I'd spent £38 million on the guy. and he'd played 45 minutes of football and gotten two broken legs. Cruel game.

Anyone else having a problem with penalty shootouts on FM12? I've stopped doing them as I have lost every single one and every time my second penalty has been missed and my opponents have never missed one penalty so any cup game which might go to pens in saved and replayed if I lose on a shoot out.

Anyone else having a problem with penalty shootouts on FM12? I've stopped doing them as I have lost every single one and every time my second penalty has been missed and my opponents have never missed one penalty so any cup game which might go to pens in saved and replayed if I lose on a shoot out.

I don't have a problem with them. Might be to do with your players. *hides*

I'm thinking of starting a new game in League 1 or something. Playing as Arsenal is fun but unless you are absolutely shit, top 4 is pretty easy every year. Once I win the Champions League I'm jumping ship, as it's the only trophy I haven't won. I've got Scotland, Italy, Spain, France and Germany active so there's plenty scope for moving. I dunno why I bother having other leagues active because I never play anywhere other than England or Scotland. Apart from in my first game when I did 4 years as Celtic manager then jumped to take over at Parma for 6 months. Took them from bottom to top of serie A then got offered the Spurs job, so back to Britain I went.

I think in football manager terms I have just attained my best ever result. Went a goal down in 10 mins and thought that was that - a tanking is on the cards here. Equalized after 25 mins then got a man sent off on the half hour mark. Went all out defence and put time wasting on full to keep the score down... held on till half time, said to the lads I was pleased with how things were going....

2nd half took the lead from a corner on 55 mins, Real immediately pegged us back on 58 then I took the lead again on 76 mins, Real never got a late equalizer and I won the match 3-2. Wasn't a 'lucky to win' scenario post-match but 'showed class to upstage' which makes it so much sweeter and pleasing!

It's these kind of moments in FM why we love playing the game so much!

• Upvote 1

What was the first Football Manager game you guys played? I started on this bad boy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Championship_Manager_96/97

It had English, Scottish and Italian leagues playable. Me and my mate who were both on the dole started a 2 player game, him as Inter, me as Milan, and played it pretty much every day. Been hooked ever since.

I had another one around the same time which was absolutely fantastic... cannot remember the name of it for the life of me though.

EDIT - this was it. Fucking loved this game. You were the team manager, but also this dodgy dealing chairman type, as well as sorting out the bank balances, shirt sponsors, building new stands etc. you could also offer bungs and bet on match results and stuff. And the results and tables were in Teletext!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultimate_Soccer_Manager

What was the first Football Manager game you guys played? I started on this bad boy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Championship_Manager_96/97

It had English, Scottish and Italian leagues playable. Me and my mate who were both on the dole started a 2 player game, him as Inter, me as Milan, and played it pretty much every day. Been hooked ever since.

I had another one around the same time which was absolutely fantastic... cannot remember the name of it for the life of me though.

EDIT - this was it. Fucking loved this game. You were the team manager, but also this dodgy dealing chairman type, as well as sorting out the bank balances, shirt sponsors, building new stands etc. you could also offer bungs and bet on match results and stuff. And the results and tables were in Teletext!

I used to play FIFA and started around 96 but got in FM circa 2004, began to find FIFA way too hard to play last version I had was I think 2008 for the Playstation 3 but didn't like it at all... once I got the management bug that was me sold!

Yep, that was mine. I loved building a ridiculous stadium and making the surrounding area an ultimate footballing complex. Betting on matches and looking at Teletext was awesome too. Very little of it was to do with management really. The tactic side of things rarely came into it, and it didn't even say what position the players played. You had to decide based on attributes.

I started with: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_Manager_%281982_series%29#Football_Manager_2

I had no idea what I was doing the first time I played it and then I ignored it for a year or two to grow up before trying again. I remember Peter Beardsley was amazing and that's about it.

Then a few years later I moved onto: http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseekid.cgi?id=0001662

Euro Boss was a step up because it was the first game where you could upgrade your stadium. If you didn't get your team promoted and your ground to be an all-seater after 2 full seasons you got sacked. I got sacked an awful lot.

I had another one around the same time called World Soccer Manager that I can't find any reference to after 5 minutes on the internet. This the first game I played where you could change a player's position from the default one. Sometimes this had effects like turning a 55 rated defender turning into a 87 rated goalkeeper so there was a lot of time spent tinkering to see what the best position was for every player in the squad. Bit daft really.

After that I went to the ones that everyone knows - USM->CM2 (96/97 version with Serie A included) AND SO ON.

You can play FM2 and Euro Boss here: http://www.zxspectrum.net/

Last thing - all this nostalgia led me to find a series of videos around old manager games: