aberdeen-music

Football Manager 2012

Soda Jerk

Steam servers are brilliant to be honest, you will struggle to find a better platform to download through for speeds.

This is wildly off-topic, but I tend to find Steam stuff downloads incredibly slowly. I don't have the best connection in the world but it's so slow I dread having to update or patch anything.

I run FM2012 on my Macbook Pro with an Intel Core 2 Duo processor. I can only really run three country's worth of leagues (England, Scotland, Germany, the first two all the leagues and Germany's Bundesliga 1 and 2) before the game gets noticeably sluggish. While the Macbook's fans are silent normally (or not even on), Football Manager seems to take it into whirring territory which is a pain in the arse if I'm honest.

In terms of processor use yes, FM will easily max out my I5 when its processing fixtures, graphics wise you can get away with integrated cards as long as they are not too out of date. Its bascially a HUGE spreadsheet with a UI built ontop of it, calculating thousands of results and everything else it has to. I have to use my laptop on top of a tray when im playing otherwise it can overheat.

Has FM got high system requirements like?

If you want to run more than a few playable leagues you'll need a decent computer. The requirements will be on Steam and generally you can get away with it if your computer's newer than about three years. Laptops, though, it's not a big fan of. It'll usually be quick enough to run it on most machines.

I don’t think so. I’d definitely like to be able to – for instance – run FM, have i-tunes on and be browsing all at once, with ease in going between them. Or similarly, listen to music, be working on extensive excel and SPSS spreadsheets and browsing, all at once, with no problems.

If you want to run more than a few playable leagues you'll need a decent computer. The requirements will be on Steam and generally you can get away with it if your computer's newer than about three years. Laptops, though, it's not a big fan of. It'll usually be quick enough to run it on most machines.

Cheers min. I think my desktop should handle it but its good to know steam have the requirements.

This is wildly off-topic, but I tend to find Steam stuff downloads incredibly slowly. I don't have the best connection in the world but it's so slow I dread having to update or patch anything.

I run FM2012 on my Macbook Pro with an Intel Core 2 Duo processor. I can only really run three country's worth of leagues (England, Scotland, Germany, the first two all the leagues and Germany's Bundesliga 1 and 2) before the game gets noticeably sluggish. While the Macbook's fans are silent normally (or not even on), Football Manager seems to take it into whirring territory which is a pain in the arse if I'm honest.

Ah your on a mac, bit different there, Steam was only ported only MAC's a year or so ago, its still a bit dodgy, but have you tried changing your region when downloading through it? Sometimes changing that will make a difference. The fan thing has also been going about on the SI forums, i think its a combo of steam not being quite right on Mac's onto of FM being resource heavy.

I don’t think so. I’d definitely like to be able to – for instance – run FM, have i-tunes on and be browsing all at once, with ease in going between them. Or similarly, listen to music, be working on extensive excel and SPSS spreadsheets and browsing, all at once, with no problems.

Aye you'll be fine. My situation listed above is cool browsing, iTunesing and FMing. Try to do too much more than that and it might stick for a second or so while saving/processing, but it's cool.

Ah your on a mac, bit different there, Steam was only ported only MAC's a year or so ago, its still a bit dodgy, but have you tried changing your region when downloading through it? Sometimes changing that will make a difference. The fan thing has also been going about on the SI forums, i think its a combo of steam not being quite right on Mac's onto of FM being resource heavy.

I haven't, but I might. I only got it a few months ago after deleting it due to it being horrendously buggy - it would register as a program window when it wasn't open, it would clog up exposé, etc. The fan thing is more annoying than anything else. It doesn't seriously affect gameplay but I could be done without it.

My FM runs fine, and my laptop ain't all that. It can get a bit laggy if I run Spotify at the same time, and I have only have one national domestic league system loaded loaded (the leagues which I'm playing, obvs). It can manage the 3D TV view, but I don't bother with that. I just watch the stats and text commentary.

I'd likely just run the text commentary. Can you switch to 3d to watch the goals though?

Yeah you can set it so it shows a replay of the goals if you want, though I think that novelty wears off quite quickly, personally. You can watch the whole game, or just have it switch to the 3D view for key moments. I never bother watching it at all anymore. The 3D engine is quite poor, and runs like an old PS1 footie sim. I don't really know how much of the 3D engine is even recorded statistically. I've watched players constantly get tackled and play wayward passes and somehow win man of the match.

league form has got a bit sketchy with no win in four but through to the semi final of the league cup having just done Arsenal at home and in the knockout stage of the champions league and a 5 million quid shit hot Argentinian striker signed for when the transfer window opens in a month. No it's not an ageing Carlos Tevez!

Squad needs some trimming though, getting players knocking on my office door moaning about a lack of first team football. I just chuck em on the transfer list and be done with it!

Bought a player from Real, a regen, and sign him as a "key player" (fucking agents). Literally a week later I have one of those annoying backroom advice things and blindly click through everything - the same day I have the new singing rattling my door pissed off that he's no longer a key player. Steady on!

Also with regards to watching games - I'll be honest, most of the time I just go on holiday.:dunce:

I know a lot of people watch the games so they can switch tactic if everything's going tits up but every single time I've watched a game we have been utterly pumped dry. I reckon the players just love Di Matteo or something.

The games can take ten minutes at a time on extended, plus or minus five minutes or so for speed variations. This is far too long!

Also my habit of replaying over and over is something that's, uh, very difficult to get out of, as it were. If there was a quicker way to play the games I would do that. I can't stomach the thought of watching a fake 90 minute football game, gads.

That and the whole "being pumped dry" thing. Last time I watched a game it was against Dinamo Zagreb, a shit team who pumped my world-class Chelsea side 5-0. No thanks.