aberdeen-music

Football Manager 2012

Soda Jerk

Booya! Stick that up your Arsenal. Especially glad to see Man City toiling in 5th. Those cunts have been my bogey team for since I started, I seem to draw them in every fucking cup and I get punted every time, I can't buy a win against them. Managed to sneak a 2-1 away win against them at the tail end of this season in my hellish run-in which was Chelsea away, Liverpool away, Man City away, Villa at home, Spurs away, Newcastle at home. Defended like fuck, played long ball, got two shots on target and scored them both. My keeper won me that game. Joe Hart gifted me my first goal. Fucked up a high hopeful hoof forward, came out of his box to gather it and arrived at the same time as Theo Walcott, Walcott dinked it over him and then fucking slammed it home. FOOTBALL!

league.jpg

Good stats for the season for RVP, Donovan and Van Der Vaart.

stats.jpg

My Cambridge game is really smoking hot now. Got promoted from the championship though was nae happy at the cheating antics of the game - led the table for most of the season but was pipped to the title final game of the season thanks to a 94th minute goal and I lost the title to Cardiff, fuck it promotion was the main objective.

First season hanging out with the big boys was going swimmingly well, was sitting in 12th place miles clear of relegation then I got humped 4-0 away at Aston Villa and had a moment of madness by aggressively saying I was furious with the performance, that defeat was promptly followed by a 5-0 thumping at home to Liverpool when again I foolishly went berserk at them. Got a timely reminder why I rarely go angry at my teams. Morale dropped and I held a team meeting and said all the wrong things, no-one reacted well at all. Six defeats on the trot followed including an embarrassing 5-1 home defeat to Wolves who ended up getting relegated. I was dangerously close to the drop zone then somehow managed to beat already relegated Sheff Wed. Lost the next game to spurs and it went to last game of season, thankfully at home to West Brom who were already safe, needed a draw but won 3-0... phew!

Moved into a new 20,000 all seater stadium and being given decent amount of money to spend. Am sitting in 8th place so pushing for a European place and still in FA Cup, a load of deadwood players are out of contract at end of season and been replacing them with shit hot up and coming youngsters, the two strikers I bought in the transfer window a year ago and could hardly muster a goal between them are banging them in this season. Hard staving off interest from bigger clubs, lost one of my best players in the transfer window because the offer was too good for my chairman to turn down.

And finally beaten one of the big boys last match. Man City came to the Cambridge Stadium on the back of 10 straight wins and top of the league and I did them 1-0, my goal did lead a very charmed life mind!

First things first, I'm going to go all Daniel Levy. The board have offered me £0.00 transfer budget, but there's a bit of headroom on the wage budget, so I'm going to nail everyone down to long term contracts. If Bayern Munich come knocking for my star goal-smasher Marco Yashin, they can get told to come back in 2016. I don't give a stuff how "unhappy" the player is. I fucking own them. Any pussies who can't handle a bit of Aggressive > 'You're not fucking good enough' teamtalk will be getting booted. I want a squadron of big bollocked hard bastards only. The last thing the Wehen Ultras want is to be cheering on a bunch of Wendys.

First things first, I'm going to go all Daniel Levy. The board have offered me £0.00 transfer budget, but there's a bit of headroom on the wage budget, so I'm going to nail everyone down to long term contracts. If Bayern Munich come knocking for my star goal-smasher Marco Yashin, they can get told to come back in 2016. I don't give a stuff how "unhappy" the player is. I fucking own them. Any pussies who can't handle a bit of Aggressive > 'You're not fucking good enough' teamtalk will be getting booted. I want a squadron of big bollocked hard bastards only. The last thing the Wehen Ultras want is to be cheering on a bunch of Wendys.

Looking forward to this. I do love an unorthodox, foreign lower league game of FM.

I did bend the truth a little, as I'm apparently fluent in German. These lads are already shite at football. The last thing I want is them "switching off" when I'm throwing around my Brian Clough-like motivational speaking. Then again, I'm not playing as me. I'm playing as BIG BASTARD himself, who is as Bavarian as Bratwurst.

• Upvote 1

bah just missed out on Europe, finished 7th, made semi final of FA Cup before getting predictably knocked out by Man U, board gave me a tasty 37 million to spend but european qualification is expected! stadium has been expanded to hold 25,000. Still got 20 million in the bank although a poor start to the new season, not won first four games but got credible draws against Man U and Chelsea, the latter echoed real life as I was 3-0 down and pulled it back to 3-3!

Held a team meeting and went to Man City in the league cup and cunted them 3-1! Also doing a spot of international management with Northern Ireland - reckon I can qualify from the group for the world cup, in my group are Spain, Wales, Belarus, Austria and Andorra - best Andorra and Austria so a good start although a trip to Spain next so will probably get thrashed!

Well last night i said goodbye to Ryan Jack, at the ripe old age of 36 and after 478 league games for the club and 57 Scotland caps he decided to call it a day, snapped him up as a youth coach to work along side Goodwillie and Messi bringing through the next gen dons. The aptly named Aberdeen Stadium has been upgraded to 50,000 now, standing free has never been more in demand, and its packed every week, im hoping for another 5/6 thousand seats in a year or so. Still not won the champs league, but i have 2 Euro cups now amongst 8 league titles and a heap of cup wins.

Decided for a bit of fun to give Clyde and Dundee some financial backing, gave them both a cool £50m in the bank and sugar daddy chairmen, Clyde promtly went out and hired big Terry Henry as manager and Dundee dropped £25m on players, should be an interesting few years for them, hopefully they can catch up and break the Old Firm for 2nd place :D

• Upvote 1

Some questions:

What is the best age to blood your youngsters as full time first team players? I tend to keep them in the U-18s then stick them out on loan for a few seasons when they are in the reserves, and bring them in to first team at about 21, but I find a lot of them who I snapped up at 16/17 who were showing great potential are absolute cloggers by the time they reach 20. I try to hold off until their current ability is at a level I want in my team but some of them go from having like 3 1/2 stars potential to 1 1/2 by the time they reach 20.

What age generally do you drop your star players who are knocking on a bit? I generally drop people at like 32, as their stats start to decrease. Can more defensive players still cut it at say 34, 35?

Depends on the player, but regarding older players, it's their physical stats that are the main deal. As long as they're still fit enough, I'm happy to keep them in the team. Normally your assistant or backroom staff will inform you that they are on the decline and should not be considered when it gets to that stage. All depends on their performance, too. You'll notice a downswing in their average rating as they start to go to shit.

Young players...again all dependent on the player, and again physical stats play a big part for me. You'll know a youngster is ready because their physical stats are close to matching that of a first-teamer. HOWEVER, it's finding the balance between winning games and blooding youngsters - it's much easier to drop a technically talented young player into a struggling Dons team than it is to a title-chasing Man City team, as an example. Loans are good. As a rule of thumb, I would normally send 18 year olds to a feeder team for six month spells, 19 year olds for full seasons, and if by 20 they're not quite ready, punt them out on loan to a team in either the same division or division below. Again, all depends on the individual, though.

It really depends on both, i try my best to keep kids in the under 19's until they are 19, if they have enough about them at 17/18 they will get cup games and small league games, at 19 they will usually get a half season with the first team and a half season on loan somewhere, i try to do that two years running so they can get enough first team games, then its a case of culling the ones who havent quite made it, have made a few mistakes before, in 11 i released a kid i though had no chance, went to Berwick, scored 45 goals in 2 seasons from the wing, the huns signed him and he went onto be a Scotland player and a £10m purchase for Birmingham.

With old players i dont worry about attributes, i look at the average rating, if they are still coming away with strong enough performances then they can play as long as they can for me. When jack retired his pace and acceleration were down to 6, stamina 7 but he finished the seasons with a 7.4 average, he only played 12 league games but its still very impressive at that age. Caldwell retired at 38 still first choice for me, again his performances were good enough, i would have liked him for another season but he said no. Right now my first choice striker is a 34 year old Irish target man, had him since he was 18, he still bags them, not as much as a few years ago tho. He is the club captain tho so he will play for another few years yet.

In older FM's ditching players when they hit 31/32 was the best bet, in 12 you can play them much longer, i also put all players over 32 on quickness training constantly which slows down the decline a bit.

Good tips. Thanks guys.

How do you guys pick your team? I have two similar players for every position - I sort my team by form from the past 5 games and select them that way. That way I always have players who are on good form in my team. It does mean though when you're a good run the team never changes as they are all getting good stats, and it can come back to bite you later in the season when they are all fucked. I also overlook anyone whose condition is less than 90%. I try to put versatile players on the bench so I have every position covers, and during the match I sub anyone who drops below 70%.

I also try to only play players in their natural position. Centre mids who can also play on the right wing for example won't get fucking near the right wing. They're a centre midfielder, they'll fucking player centre mid and like it. Centre backs who can play across the back four will only ever play at centre back. I'll play an 18 year old kid at right back rather than a centre back who can play at right back.

Again, all depends on the game/opposition and whether I'm at home or away.

With my Spurs team, I have a 'preferred eleven', which is my 'best' team; but I like to think that for most games I'm able to rotate pretty freely the players who come into the team. I do this loosely based on form, but largely on physical condition and if there are any big games coming up that I wante key players rested up for.

I pick based on fitness, and also based on players who are wanting first team football and are wanting to prove to me they deserve it. They tend to be fired up with a point to make. I kept ignoring Jonny Evans for ages as he whinged about not making the team. "You're shit though" I said, but he wanted to prove to me how unshit he was. I played him, and he only went and scored the winner against Chelsea. Good lad. benched him the next game though, because Smalling and Jones are just better.

I don't mind playing players out of position as long as the little dot is green, but I try to keep everyone in their natural/best position if possible.

Not set on my best XI for Wehen yet, as I've only just started the pre-season with them. There's a handful of versatile players who are pretty accomplished in a few positions, and I still might grab a couple of loans or freebies if possible, though I'm trying to save the headroom on the wage bill for nailing everyone down to a long-termer. The media have me second favourites for the 3.Liga title, so I reckon the squad is probably good enough. Instantly promoted Yashin from the U19's because I like his name, and he's got the potential to be great, according to the coach. He was the first to agree to a long term contract. He's mine until 2016, so he better come good!

I keep a squad of 22 no more, i will have a back up for every position, even if one player is covering a few positions, i have first choice players and usually kids coming through, very rarely do i keep back up players as such, the only players who will play less than 20 games are my ageing stars. Everyone else will be a first choice, or a kid pushing for first choice.

In terms of picking a squad i pick a first 11 and second 11, the first obviously play the big games, the 2nd cup and small league games. I take the Wenger and Pep approach, kids play all cup games, and my back up keeper plays every single domestic cup game no matter what round or who against. I try as much as possible to play players when they are 98% fitness or over, anything below and they get rested, players will quickly become burnt out in this version and their training will suffer as a result so keeping them in top condition is vital if you want them to fulfil their PA.

Position wise i dont particuarly care about the colour of the dots, i regularly play players out of position if necessary, i also make big use of the re-train position thing and in order to learn a new position a player has to play there. I've changed many a defensive mid into a ball playing centre half or full back. If they have the correct attributes they can play the position, the only thing the dots affect is a players ability to use their mental stats in that particular position, obviously the less familiar the less they will make full use of their attributes. My quick poacher also fills in for me on right mid when needs must, but he has a red dot for that position, seen him collect two mom awards playing there.

Yeah, I use the position training thing alot. I had a number of players at United who could play all over the place. It helped, since I had super fast strikers like Hernandez and Welbeck who could be put to good use on the wings if need be, since Nani was so injury prone. Their crossing and passing stats increased a little too, which is good.

I just find players in their unnatural position tend not to play so well. I play with a DM and an AMC and good players who have that as their natural position aren't easy to come by. Retraining MC players to play there never seems to go so well. Case in point my squad posted above - my two players for my AMC position are Van Der Vaart and Fabregas. Stats-wise, Fabregas is twice the player Van Der Vaart is, but Van Der Vaart is a natural AMC and Fagregas is a retrained MC.

VDV - Played 35. Goals 13. Assists 16. MOM 8. Average rating 7.45

Fab - Played 21. Goals 3. Assists 11. MOM 2. Average rating 7.4

Press conferences are boring. It's the same questions every week, and if I was really manager, I wouldn't answer those questions in the way outlined by the range of answers. I'd swear more, and slag off Liverpool more. Every question.

Yet, if I send the assistant, players seem to get unhappy with the way I handle the media. Chumps.

But then you have to take other things into consideration elwood, first off VDV and Fabregas are never going to be the same kind of player so even if you get Fab to be a natural amc he is never going to do the same things VDV does. His game will always be slightly different, and will play that role a bit different, i would imagine if you look closely Fab will have worked a lot harder and wont hang about looking for space as much as VDV, Fab has a much higher work ethic and as such will go hunting for the ball, which means he might not be in as many goal scoring positions. Fab will have prob completed more simple passes where as VDV will look more for the Hollywood pass. Fab is also less likely to dribble with the ball than VDV is, and i would hazzard a guess VDV scores a few after taking a few players on. What you should look at is if your team suffers when Fab is played there compared to if VDV plays there, if your strikers are scoring more with Fab on the pitch then i wouldnt be worrying too much.

DAS WEHEN! OI!

Only just finished the pre-season. Spent hours pissing about with individual instructions for each of my 3 tactics, and comparing stats to find out who my best players on paper are. Also filling some spots in my utterly depleted staff. I've seriously got one coach, one youth coach, a goalkeeping coach, and a scout. I don't even know who my assistant is... I don't think I have one. Gutter football!

Pacy Football turned out to be some amateur French side, so obviously they got fucking smashed

20peyol.jpg

Pretty chuffed with this result. Top flight Dutch side got taken to the cleaners. I think they fielded the B-team, but the Ultras have still earned bragging rights. Fight!

15d101t.jpg

Got a taste of defeat from another Dutch side though. Just didn't turn up. One shot on goal and 40% possession. Pre-season or not. Football is football. Win or die. Gutting.

9k46qu.jpg

More French part timers. They bossed the first half. Half time came and I punched all my players right in the mouth, one by one, and they went out and tore them a new arsehole in the second half.

24zan1u.jpg

Narrower win. We couldn't get much of the ball, but we were clinical. Other than the two goals, we were fucking dreadful. I went ballistic at full time. I then had a team meeting and told them all to shape up or fuck the fuck off. I had 4 transfer requests within a week. These guys are going to have to grow an astronomical, bullet-proof pair of bollocks if they want to stick around.

11j6gra.jpg

I was taking the piss when I claimed Bayern would probably try and poach my star 17 year old striker, Maro Yashin. Now they're making bids for him and Alf Mintzel. My two talisman. Paws off, Munchen. 3 years time, I'll be cunting you at the Allianz. Easy. Also... One of my sweepers wants to go to his hometown club, Ajax. I told them where to go, and now he's in a piss. Morale is bad, and the season hasn't even started yet. I thought I was going easy on them up to now. I think instead of running through tactical DVD's, I need to make them watch SCUM on Blu-ray. Repeated viewings of a snooker ball to the skull should put things into perspective.

Das Wehen! Fick dich in Knie!

Question... What's with my U19 players just being released, all in one go, all on the same day, without notifying me their contracts are due to run out? Just had them all given away, and there was two gems in there. One was called Pascal Scholz (who was ginger and everything). He's now at Dortmund. Cockpiss. Now I have absolutely no U19 players, and the proper season's not even started.

What the mo'fuck?