aberdeen-music

Let's talk about gigs

Soda Jerk

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The first ever gig you ever attended- Gig on the green in glasgow. the line up was awesome, The distillers, electric 6, pj harvey, queens of the stone age, foo fighters and the red hot chilli peppers. awesome day!

The best ever gig you ever attended. Probably Sunn 0))) They were fucking amazing and that gig has had a lasting effect on the way I think about music.

The worst ever gig you ever attended. The Enemy. was at the music hall the same night aberdeen won a football game and all the singer did between songs was shout aberdeen and wave a scarf about. he wore the scarf for the entire set as well as a leather jacket, he actually thought he was amazing but he played about the same 3 chords for every song and could barely sing. utter shite!

The first ever gig you ever played A wee talent show thing at school. we played 3 songs. most likely punk covers but I cant honestly remember

The best ever gig you ever My old bands first and only gig ever in Tunnels for a friends birthday. cracked my guitar neck hitting the singer in the head and had an all around blast on stage!

The worst ever gig you ever played When I was still at school we played a gig in a community hall or something and at the last minute the singer pulled out and i had to step up and fill the role. I can't sing, didn't know the words and had never played guitar and sung at the same time before. I knew it was terrible but people kept saying it wasn't. I could see the pity in their eyes!

The first ever gig you ever attended: Pombofest 2000. Held in the Spanish Ambassador to the UAEs garden. He built a stage for it and everything. Helped organise it and played as well. Bands were Impure Transfusion, Illuminatus, Ruptured Rubber and Perverse.

The best ever gig you ever attended: Pig Destroyer, Narcosis, Total Fucking Destruction and Halo. Cos Pig Destroyer & Narcosis rule.

The worst ever gig you ever attended: A punk gig in Abu Dhabi. Got pulled into the toilets by CID cos they thought I was smoking weed. it was a rollie. I did vocals for a couple of covers and then got started on by some local arab kids cos they said I punched them in the head. Bailed and went to the pub.

The first ever gig you ever played: See first gig above. I was in Impure Transfusion. We played 2 songs and we sucked balls. Gig was ace fun though.

The best ever gig you ever played: Narcosis, Filthpact, Macrocosmica and Project Ven Hell, the last ever gig in Drakes. For obvious reasons. Or, the first ever Vomitus gig. It was monumental.

The worst ever gig you ever played: Playing naked but for a suit jacket I found on the streets of France in a squat in Belgium. I was standing on top of a mini-ramp and everytime I stood on the coping I got an electric shock from my guitar strings. I fell off and rolled into the drumkit and don't think I played a single note in time. horrendously drunk with my dick flapping about asking people for fags mid-song. Terrible.

The first ever gig you ever attended

First gig was Radiohead AECC in 1997. Can't think of a better start, was an amazing experience going from listening to them on my walkman doing the paper round to a big arena.

The best ever gig you ever attended

The last Pixies gig I went to in Glasgow was awesome - 2009. Also loved Toots and the Maytals in the Lemon Tree, the Holmes Brothers was great at the Lemon Tree too can't really remember the dates of these. Oh yeah, Derek Trucks in ABC 2 was cracking.

The worst ever gig you ever attended

hmmm, many a local piece of crap band night. Don't think I've paid a large amount of money for anything that I couldn't stand.

The first ever gig you ever played

3rd year of school so 1996 I think... was playing keyboard at a band night in the primary hall. What a feeling rocking out on stage, the thrill of performing in front of a dozen of your mates.

Our singer decided to stage dive. As he leapt, the small crowd parted, his foot tangled in a mixture of plugs and leads and the sound stopped as he smashed on the floor pulling amps and instruments with him. All the sound stopped apart from what was coming out of my keyboard amp which had actually been playing the demonstration all the way through our song instead of my part. Genius and I still get abuse for that.

The best ever gig you ever played

There have been loads of ace ones but here are the top two and for different reasons. Ghost of Bongo Glasgow gigs were always pretty decent. The first time we played Stereo was amazing, fully packed folk standing a foot from the stage. Japanese tourists filming. The what label are you signed to? comments which always made you feel good when you werent even close to that.

The last ever Super Six Funk Machine gig playing in the Jazz Bar in Edinburgh was sublime. The stars aligned that night in a perfect 3 hour funk jam. Its amazing seeing people properly dancing to the music you are making. Some of the improvised tracks we came up with that night were better than our actual songs. Never had an experience quite like that.

The worst ever gig you ever played

A promoter organised a Ghost of Bongo gig for us in Glasgow. We arrived and got a phone call saying that the venue had changed. We walked to the new venue that was pretty much boarded up then another call... new venue but have to take a drum kit and full back line which we didnt have good news is that they have a PA. It was only us playing and didnt really know any musicians in Glasgow at the time. On top of this we had about 40 people coming along to see us.

Fortunately we had an electric kit and a couple of guitar amps with us so that was a start. So we arrived at the bar and went down to the venue. It was like a large living room with a bingo callers PA 4 channels. Not even enough for a practice. We rigged everything up but it was so quiet sounded like we were playing out of a stereo.

Bad experience and never trusted just turning up at an out of town gig again without as much back up gear a possible!!

Tell us all about:

The first ever gig you ever attended.

Hmmm, either Hell's Bells or Maiden Scotland. Paul Di'Anno kept the Lemon Tree crowd waiting at the latter, turning up what appeared to be half-cut and wearing hip-hop clobber; like oversized white t-shirt, denim half-masts and bandana. Quite enjoyed it up until then, though.

The best ever gig you ever attended.

Almost didn't go, but Billy Ocean at the Music Hall fairly recently was brilliant. Been to see the likes of Ozzy, who's a good entertainer, and not too bad a singer; but Mr. Ocean is the complete package, even having a reserved Aberdeen audience on their feet and loving every minute. Wish the bassplayer played 'When The Going Gets Tough, The Tough Get Going' on his four-string and not a ruddy synthesizer, though!

The worst ever gig you ever attended.

Wasn't bad as such, but went to 'Taste Of Chaos' down in Glasgow, primarily to see In Flames, the other year. Played a few songs I like, but it appeared Anders was insistent on playing a lot of the slightly more recent stuff, that just sounds like glorified dance music; and hardly any of the classics. Had no interest in Killswitch Engage, but, ironically, they were by FAR the better band.

If you're in a band, repeat the questions but as:

The first ever gig you ever played.

School 'Pop Idol' thing at the Westhill community centre. We played 'Toxicity' to a size of crowd, about 200-300 people (?), I daresay I'll never play in front of again. Pity the guitarist snapped his string within the first few seconds, mind! Wasn't too bad, apart from that.

The best ever gig you ever played.

Either the recent Splinterfist gig at The Moorings, or 'Bon's 25th Birthday Bash' at Cafe Drummonds. I usually, rather selfishly, judge gigs by how well I played, personally; though when the levels are ideal, it usually makes this even better. The Moorings was the best, that is least amount of mistakes on my part (!), and the levels began too low; rather than overdistorted from the get-go, which made things so much easier to rectify at the time. The levels at Bonner's gig were perfect from start to finish, and, as a whole - not just myself - we played pretty good.

The worst ever gig you ever played.

I would concur with Mr. Shand that the drummer not turning up at The Moorings gig was quite bad, but I didn't even have to play! Instead, I'd opt for the first time (and one of the last ;)) I played with Hytch-A-Ryde, which was at Drummonds. I'd barely been in the band a week, and was expected to play with a lot more confidence than just reading of tab/chord sheets; and therefore played embarrassingly terrible.

The first ever gig you ever attended. - The first proper gig I attended was Mogwai at the Lemon Tree in 97 or 98. I found it very boring but it didn't put me off live music thankfully. Fugazi at the Lemon Tree followed soon after that to save me.

The best ever gig you ever attended. - Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band. 02 Arena, December 07, the Magic tour. I went to this on my own after overcoming serious eBay ticket problems. In the end I spent about 600 in total for flights, tickets that never arrived and then a ticket off a tout but it was worth it all. It was the first time I saw my favourite band and, as ever, they put on an amazing show. The closest I've ever felt to what people call 'spiritual'

The worst ever gig you ever attended. - I say it all the time. "That was the worst gig I've ever been at". I had a girlfriend in the early noughties who always got free tickets for big gigs through her job so I saw a fair load of shite. I think Oasis at the AECC circa 2002 was the very worst. I dont like them but had heard them being described as an excellent live band so thought Id go along with an open mind. Everything about it sucked the venue, the support band, the fans, the warm beer, my dodgy knee, the songs, the lights, the people in the band, the performance. I managed to persuade her to leave before the encore and as we were leaving a first aider came up to us all concerned asking if everything was alright presumably thinking that the only way someone would leave early is because they were ill.

The first ever gig you ever played a two song set in the same school hall as RockAustin. D7 followed by About a Girl. Terrible stuff.

The best ever gig you ever played Flaming Katys T-Break gig in Edinburgh. Hundreds of people, big venue, good performance, great sound.

The worst ever gig you ever played The list is long. Ill go for the time that Flaming Katy supported a band at the Tunnels who we were not suited to support. I cant remember their name but it was long and had something to do with bees. I suppose they were hardcore something or other and we werent. Id rather play an empty Tunnels (as I often have) than in front of a big crowd who all stood at the bar at the back with their arms folded staring at us witheringly. I dont think its an exaggeration to say that at the end of our first song there was a solitary clap. I think we ended up cutting 2 songs out of a 7 song set.

The first ever gig you ever attended:

Metallica (supported by The Darkness & Linkin Park) at the RDS Arena in Dublin, August 2003. I was completely obsessed with Metallica at the time so it was an amazing experience.

I was 15 at the time and it was a 14+ gig but adult accompaniment was required for under 16s. My brother (28 at the time, not into metal whatsoever) went with me while my mum and sister in law went to pubs around Dublin. My brother didn't seem too impressed with the day, though my mum managed to sneak in to the gig for the last 5 songs and later said that she thought that Creeping Death sounded pretty good. I was rather proud :D

The best ever gig you ever attended:

Not the best live performance in terms of the band themselves, but the best experience I've had which made it the most enjoyable gig I've been to would be Slayer at Download 2005. Everyone was just going mental for the duration so it made the entire set that much more intense. This was my first (and only to date) Download Festival experience, this was definitely the highlight of it.

A close second would be Cannibal Corpse at the Garage in Glasgow, Halloween 2009. It probably would be the best one if we arrived earlier to see Dying Fetus (the main reason for going, as I had seen Cannibal Corpse before), though the gig was great fun. If I could extend the gig itself to encompass that entire weekend, then that would be the best gig for sure as that was probably the most fun I've ever had over 3 days.

The worst ever gig you ever attended:

I tend to forget about bad gigs, I have seen quite a lot of shit sets but they are vague in terms of how long ago they occurred and what bands were involved. Clearly I wasn't too interested or I'd possibly remember. This largely refers to local gigs, as I do my best to avoid travelling/paying more than 4 to attend crap gigs.

One of the worst gigs I've been to of late as far as 'established' acts go would be Rob Zombie at the O2 Academy in Glasgow, February 2011. Extremely dull. Best part was the big screen displaying videos of Sheri (Rob Zombie's wife). 8-)

The first ever gig you ever played:

Panic Cell at Kef, 2005. I stood in on lead guitar for Weeping Jesus for 2 songs as their guitar player had to go to a wedding in England. Went pretty well and it was really frustrating only getting to play the 2 songs, though I didn't have time to learn the rest as my one and only practice with the band was about 2 days prior to the gig. Glad it happened as I am now in a band (KCHGH) with the bassist and drummer. :up:

The best ever gig you ever played:

Grind/Punk/Metal alldayer at Tunnels, November 2009. It was the 5th ever KCHGH gig. We played with F.U.B.A.R., Ablach, Gusto Mastivo, The Signal, Bonesaw, Uncalm, Bin Laden's Daughter & Oblivion Incarnate.

Probably the best we've played our material, good crowd response and heckles/interaction. Teabags coming up on stage a couple of times to fix cymbal stands mid set and, as a thank you, being attacked by the headstock of my guitar can only be a good thing.

The worst ever gig you ever played:

Dunfermline with Element 106, March 2007. We had just parted ways with our bass player at the time so sounded pretty thin. Combined with this was the most lacking atmosphere of any gig I've ever attended, never mind played at. You would have thought that a family were mourning over a loss in their living room and we came through the door, plugged into amps and ruined their lives. There would probably have been more of a response if we decided to do this. More people in attendance too. The mutants that were there didn't move from start to finish, and none spoke at all. Very odd. Usually I love playing gigs and hate sets coming to an end, though at this particular one I couldn't wait to get packed up and leave. :)

Im probably missing a few memories on account of my arthritis, buuuuuuuuut...

Would have been The Ataris and the Barrowlands in 2002(?), literally have no recollection of how good or bad it was, remember all their songs sounding the same - I don't think I really listened to them until after I went to see them. I remember recognising 'Summer Wind...' and enjoying that.

It's still quite recent and fresh in my memory so there may be bias, though Devin Townsend at the Garage in February was glorious. Fantastic atmosphere, was just like a big party. Close second would be Acoustic Ladyland at the tunnels.

I'll second HateEvent's comment on the Rob Zombie gig. My friend and I walked out before he played the song I'm most familiar with (Dragula). Guy was just a total rock star. Said something along the lines of 'this stage isn't big enough for me'. Trite, boring, and flashy without the musical backbone to hold it up.

Would have been my high school band at the Findhorn foundation. Very bizarre experience. I can't remember much of how the playing went, though i do remember coming back in to the hall after being outside and walking through the room full of people towards the stage with all eyes fixed on us. Nobody was talking, just staring.

I always judge how good a gig was by my performance, and i've never really been happy with how i play, so I'll go with how much fun it was. The first gig I did with Beautiful by Design was at the Gazebo Gathering in Kinross, this big massive family day out. When we showed up there was a dressing room for us with a delicious buffet and cold drinks. It was really sunny and we got to go on the fairground attractions afterwards, with our faces painted. Good wholesome rock and roll.

'Playing' the Faslane protest camp with Dis - Ease

Consisted of getting there, crusties coming out of the woods and leaning against the van cos they were mashed up on mad drugs, having 2 generators, one not working and the other missing. We proceeded to sit and wait around whilst the natives spewed 'radical' political opinions and meaningful conversations about the price of buses. they had a bar where you could buy a beer for 3 or a pill for the same price if you were into it. It reached 11 o'clock and nothing was happening so we fucked off.

The first ever gig you ever attended. Siouxsie And The Banshees/The Cure/Scars ~ Capital Theatre 07/09/79. The infamous day the band split up in the Other Record Shop over the playing of the Slits LP ! IIRC Scars opened the night,The Cure did their set, then Siouxsie came on stage with the theatre boss to announce the cancellation of the gig & refund of our money. I think The Cure did another short set, and we all trooped out to get our 2.25, while waiting we heard a commotion in the hall & ran back to see Siouxsie, Steve & Robert do a 20 min Lords Prayer...pretty exciting 1st gig

The best ever gig you ever attended. Very difficult to choose one favourite, Frank Zappa at the NEC in '88 was astounding, sitting 20 ft from the stage watching him solo on guitar was pant wettingly good. Nirvana/L7/Vaselines at the Carlton Studios in '90 was probably the best line up ever for me, but then Kylie Minoise playing to 15 folk in a sea container in an empty carpark in Torry earlier this year was also a highlight

The worst ever gig you ever attended. I can't really think of any truely terrible gigs but My Vitriol at the Douglas Hotel was quite dire as was Marillion at the Capital in '83(just saved by the Peter Hammill support)

The first ever gig you ever played. Matricarians at the now defunct Music club, playing as part of one of Bill Thompsons Burning Harpsicord nights along with Bill, Noma & Sumi Sumi.

The best ever gig you ever played. Difficult again, but Sumisu-mi v's Matricarians at PVA supporting Port Royal was great fun as was Matricarians Kilau "anti-christian" gig.

The worst ever gig you ever played. the Kilau "anti-christian" gig.

The first ever gig you ever attended: Franz Ferdinand playing the AECC back in 2005 when I was 13. The 1990s opened for them and were shit, then Editors were the tour support and were insanely good. Better than the Franz, even, even though we had to leave before Alex Kapranos stage dived.

The best ever gig you ever attended: Difficult one. I think seeing Mumford and Sons inside a packed King Tut's Wah Wah Tent at T in the Park last year was something else. All bouncing and singing along. Incredible.

The worst ever gig you ever attended: Like most here I can't think of any truly dire gigs that I've actually been to but Kate Nash at T in the Park 2010 was shockingly bad - well, probably more disappointing than bad.

The first ever gig you ever played: I sung "Buck Rodgers" by Feeder in a school talent show when I was 11, to the CD. Came second. My first actual gig outside of school was supporting The Malpaso Gang at Musa, which was a shit set but good fun nonetheless.

The best ever gig you ever played: Easily opening for tUnE-yArDs in June. Still can't get over how she personally said I was "awesome". Swooned.

The worst ever gig you ever played: A recent acoustic night in which I broke a string two tunes in, played in front of about five people and forgot the lyrics to about three of my six songs.

First gig i attended: Not quite sure but it was probably something that Hauller or Deadloss Superstar were playing at around 1997/98.

Best gig i have attended: Probably one of the hardest questions i'll ever have to answer as i've had quite a lot of fantastic gig experiences over the years. If i had to pin it down to something at a push Idlewild at the Loft when they performed stuff from teh impending Warnings/Promises album. It was a great atmosphere, very intimate and a one-off experience.

Worst gig i ever attended: Probably Green Day on the Warning tour. Aside from Green Day themselves i was probably one of the oldest people there and i didn't enjoy them at all. I still like 1039 Smooth through to Nimrod but the rest of their stuff after that is garbage.

First gig i played: Probably with Undertow at the Dungeon in either 1999 or 2000. Very busy and a pretty good vibe and experience for a first gig. i think we played pretty well for a debut.

Best gig i ever played: Oceans in Elgin with Julia's Shadow and Right Hand Left. We, Genevieve, had had an argument earlier in the day which made our performance pretty charged and intense which complemented the music perfectly. The venue was small but packed and the crowd were great and the other bands were all on from too. Everything went perfectly.

Worst gig i ever played: On a personal level probably with Genevieve supporting Stapleton at the Tunnels. I had a pretty rubbish cold and took some decongestants just after soundcheck not realising that they were "drowsy" meds. To top it off i had a pint of Leffe all of which mashed together knocked me for six. I got through the set ok apparently but don't remember very much of it and missed Stapleton as i had to go home to sleep it off :(

First gig i attended: InMe supported by Crack Out at The Lemon Tree 2002. Never heard either band previously but met girlfriend that night and we're still together now. Good night, I think the bands were alright as well!

Best gig i have attended: Antiproduct at The Moorings ~2007, was a spur of the moment decision to go, I'd remembered the band name from reading Kerrang mag's back in 2001 but hadn't heard the band, only that they had great live reviews. Was a awesome night, spent ages having a bleather with Clare PProduct who became my inspiration for the slow motion train crash that is my part time musical career!

Worst gig i ever attended: Guns and Roses at Download 2006, listened from the campsite and it sounded like a gash pub band!

First gig i played: With the mighty DBI playing a poor selection of instrumental Nirvana covers, a 15minute heavy metal composition with a 3 chord main riff and 2 other members of the band played some incomplete instrumental Oasis covers. The lead guitarist was drunk, the bassist was the drummer and the guy behind the drums was filling for the main drummer as that guy did't actually own a set of drums. The only cheer came at the very end when me and the drummer burst out with 3/4 of Wipeout! We were 16 and playing at a Youth event of some kind. :up:

Best gig i ever played: Probably The Fudge awards 2011 with Glassman, the atmosphere was brilliant, I think the whole venue was in the same groove as the band, acetastic as fuck, rock and roll was alive that night! I'll keep those blurry fast forward memory's till I die.

Worst gig i ever played: I think that was a Glassman gig at Drummonds, I'd gotten a bit of a kick up the arse for my poor performace and this was the first gig afterwards, I was so nervous about fucking up I fucked up all over the shop! couldn't wait to get off stage, it wasn't the fear of fucking up infront of any audience, that I can handle, it was the fear of fucking up infront of the two other dudes in the band that was shitting me up. was no fun at all. Or the worst moment would be my Pulled Apart by Horses Speel while supporting Prelude to the Hunt..... utter bellend moment :up:

First gig I attended - Blur at the SECC in 1995 on the Great Escape tour. Not long after the whole Blur / Oasis thing kicked off and they were on fine form that night.

Best gig I attended - Radiohead at the Dundee Caird Hall, 1996 or 1997. They played an absolute blinder that night and it was a lively crowd. They were my favourite band anyway but that gig back it up. Special mention for Sigur Ros at the Connect Festival as well.

Worst gig I attended - A couple of contenders. Ian Brown at the AECC was the first time I ever walked out of a gig early. The second time was last summer at Belladrum when Badly Drawn Boy acted like a total bellend. He threw a pissy fit as his sound on stage wasn't very good refused to play. Plugged in his ipod and put on Silent Sigh and told the crowd, "There you go, this is the only one you came along to hear anyway."

First gig I played - At the Tunnels with Static in the City. None of us had really played gigs before and were a bit nervous about it and pretty much everyone we told came down so we had a decent crowd to play to. It was basically a roomful of our pals but was a good start.

Best gig I have played - At the Liquid Rooms for T Break showcases with Static in the City. A cracking venue to play and a really professional set up for the occasion. Freakin' hot though and I remember getting sweat in my eyes during our last song and pulling weird faces as a result.

Worst gig I have played - The one I really didn't like was a Snafu gig with The Scandal Extracts where everything seemed to go wrong. It was completely our own fault to be honest as we tried shifting things around on stage during soundcheck to give ourselves a bit more room which resulted in me not being able to hear my bass and one of our amps breaking down. So we shifted everything back which proceeded to waste a lot of time getting set up. We also hadn't been able to practice much in the lead up to the gig so we made plenty of major mistakes. Our singer's guitar fell off mid-song and that just tipified the gig really. In short, we just had a total howler!

Big Country at the Capitol circa 1989. They were great despite their best recorded output being behind them.

I think in terms of an overall, the most satisfying is still Godpseed You Black Emperor/Sigur Ros/Fly Pan Am at The Lemon Tree in 2000.

But I also have to mention seeing some of my musical heroes - Tom Waits at Edinburgh Playhouse a few years back, Nick Cave 'solo' (essentally Grinderman playing Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds material) at Edinburgh Playhouse a few years back and Roky Erickson at London HMV Playhouse a couple years ago. The latter was probably my most stupid gig-going experience, dippe dinto savings, flew down to London on the afternoon of the gig and back the next day. Fuck it, chances to see Roky Erickson don't come too often

Franz Ferdinand at the AECC in 2005. The 1990s were shit, Editors were awesome and FF were just dire. First and to date only time I have walked out of a gig.

With Port of Saints at The Malt Mill, somewhere around 2003 I think.

Despite me f**king up the breakdown part due to inability to see cues from the dancefloor as I'd taken me bins off to play, I liked playing Guitar Trio at Snafu the other year when Kartta jacked it in. Talking of which, I recall really enjoying my last gig with Kartta at The Moorings, which I still have a recording of, some shonky moments but we played pretty good. In fact there were a lot of Kartta gigs I enjoyed, Tunnels supporting Twilight Sad, some Halloween party at Tunnels despite ill-advised covers of 'Ghostbusters'. The last Dedalus gig I remember being fun as well.

There was a Winter in Siberia gig at Tunnels I remember being pretty awful, I played very badly.

First gig I played - At the Tunnels with Static in the City. None of us had really played gigs before and were a bit nervous about it and pretty much everyone we told came down so we had a decent crowd to play to. It was basically a roomful of our pals but was a good start.

Ahem, "One Night Stand"

Despite me f**king up the breakdown part due to inability to see cues from the dancefloor as I'd taken me bins off to play, I liked playing Guitar Trio at Snafu the other year when Kartta jacked it in. Talking of which, I recall really enjoying my last gig with Kartta at The Moorings, which I still have a recording of, some shonky moments but we played pretty good. In fact there were a lot of Kartta gigs I enjoyed, Tunnels supporting Twilight Sad, some Halloween party at Tunnels despite ill-advised covers of 'Ghostbusters'. The last Dedalus gig I remember being fun as well.

There was a Winter in Siberia gig at Tunnels I remember being pretty awful, I played very badly.

I thought the winter in siberia gigs in the tunnels were ok, a bit rough but not the worst i've ever played. I don't recall you playing particularly badly either.

The twilight sad support was pretty ace, as was the moorings gig. playing in kartta was usually pretty fun. except ghostbusters.

I thought the winter in siberia gigs in the tunnels were ok, a bit rough but not the worst i've ever played. I don't recall you playing particularly badly either.

The twilight sad support was pretty ace, as was the moorings gig. playing in kartta was usually pretty fun. except ghostbusters.

It was when we did 2 in one week, I recall the IMP one being a bit shonky. I definitely remember f**king up several times, perhaps not noticeable to yourself though...

It was when we did 2 in one week, I recall the IMP one being a bit shonky. I definitely remember f**king up several times, perhaps not noticeable to yourself though...

we didn't do a gig for IMP did we? 2 in one week must've been our quota for the year, was that with katerwaul? I was probably too busy fucking up to notice others making mistakes!

we didn't do a gig for IMP did we? 2 in one week must've been our quota for the year, was that with katerwaul? I was probably too busy fucking up to notice others making mistakes!

There was definitely an IMP gig. We did the Codes in the Clouds/Fighterplanes one and a gig with Katerwaul? Something like that. One gig went well, the other was pretty awful. The second show was the bad one.

There was definitely an IMP gig. We did the Codes in the Clouds/Fighterplanes one and a gig with Katerwaul? Something like that. One gig went well, the other was pretty awful. The second show was the bad one.

Here's yis...

13.06.10 Codes In The Clouds + Barn Owl + Katerwaul + Winter In Siberia

The first ever gig you ever attended.

AC/DC at the AECC, 1995 on the Ballbreaker tour. I was 15. We arrived early and went straight to the front and watched the Wildhearts absolutely die on their arse. Then when AC/DC came on there was a huge crush, I don't think I actually touched the floor for the first 2 songs. I got knocked over and was a little bit distressed and getting trampled on when a group of friendly bikers picked me up and took me under their wing. Enjoyed the rest of the gig from a couple of rows back. AC/DC were awesome. Afterwards there were no buses home to Fraserburgh so we hung around some guy's really stinky flat for a while and wandered the streets of Aberdeen all night until the first bus home in the morning.

The best ever gig you ever attended.

Terrorvision at Penningtons in Bradford, 2001. This was the scene of what was, at the time, Terrorvision's last ever gig. I was a huge, huge fan back in the 90s and early 2000s and travelled for hours at a time on stinky buses to see them shitholes like Dudley and Wolverhampton. Before this tour they announced they were splitting up and this would be their final tour, culminating in a last ever gig in this dingy nightclub in their hometown. They played for about 2 hours, and beforehand they'd asked the fans on the Terrorvision forum to basically write the set list for them so as well as all the hits they dragged out all these obscure b-sides. Epic gig, they tore it up hard, I was in the front row for the whole gig getting battered and bruised. At the end they took a big bow and put on a sad song as they said their goodbyes to the crowd. People all around me were sobbing. I was sad also. Of course since then they've reformed and done about 10 more tours and released an album, but it was a really special gig and I am proud to say I was there, although the significance of it has been somewhat marred by them reforming. Bradford really is a shit-hole by the way.

The worst ever gig you ever attended.

The Fratellis at AECC around 2006/7. The stuff they played off their album was OK but this just reeked of a band being pushed into an arena tour way way before they were ready. They only had one album at the time and were clearly desperately short of material as they played I think every song off the album, and padded it out with bad covers, b-sides and stuff nobody had ever heard, and the lead singer had absolutely no chat whatsoever. There were like 5 minute gaps between songs where he just.... stood. Terrible.

The first ever gig you ever played.

I can't remember the exact ins and outs of it, but I was 15 and I was playing in a band with the ludicrous moniker 36DD. We did rock / classic rock covers and made our debut in a pub in Strichen called The Bridgewaters (now The Mormond). I remember absolutely shitting myself before we played, but we went down a storm and got the whole place up dancing, despite the fact that we were probably terrible and our set made no sense, eg going from Bad Company, to Metallica, to The Sweet. We end up effectively becoming the house band and played there tons of times. I remember we got paid 200 for our 2 hour set. That was in 1995 and I've never been paid that much again.

The best ever gig you ever played.

Dos Dedos' farewell gig at Dr Drakes in around 2003. Our last few gigs hadn't gone well, I'd gotten frustrated at playing to a handful of uninterested punters in half empty venues and thrown a hissy fit at the last one and quit the band, and the rest of the guys followed suit. We managed to get it together to play one final gig at Drakes, we promoted the fuck out of it, we made it out as a funeral service, we had order of service cards on all the tables with a picture of us on the front with "2000-2003" written under it, lyrics to some of our songs printed inside like hymn lyrics and a few other touches, we all turned up in black suits and had Nicky Casino read a eulogy before we played. Amazingly, Drakes was so full they were turning people away! (It was also Subsistence's last ever gig so I'm sure it was their fans, not ours ;)) We absolutely tore it up, played every song we knew, I was drinking vodka red bulls between every song and was getting slowly hammered, the heat on stage coupled with his energetic performance and the fact he was wearing a three piece suit caused our singer to pass out mid-song, I thought he was playing around and stuck the boot into him. Finished the set absolutely drenched with sweat, smashed my bass against the floor a few times, threw it in over my shoulder and that was that.

The worst ever gig you ever played.

Cobra Kai's one and only gig at Moshulu a few years ago. We were playing with two touring bands called My Favourite Pornstar, and Hides In Caves. It was like a Wednesday night or something, and Moshulu had given us tickets to sell, problem was they were 6 a pop, it was a Wednesday night and none of my friends had ever heard of the touring bands, so I found it really fucking difficult to persuade anyone to come along. Come the night of the gig, we got down to Moshulu and I had to 'fess up to the promoter that I hadn't been any to sell any tickets at all. But I figured the two touring bands were probably some really popular young emo bands that us old farts had never heard of, and their name power would have the place packed with all the emo kids. Sadly that didn't quite work out because Moshulu it transpired, hadn't sold any tickets either. Nada. Zero. Zip. From what I later heard, and can't confirm if this is true, My Favourite Pornstar were this new, unsigned band that nobody had ever heard of, and one of their dads was the head of Mean Fiddler who'd organised a tour for them as a present. While we were opening, the two touring bands hid upstairs and we played to my girlfriend, my mate Craig and two of my colleagues. Tell you something, Moshulu looks really fucking big when you're playing to 4 people.