aberdeen-music

Good local bands

ca_gere

I don't know about anyone else but I feel this forum has stagnated a lot recently. It used to be a great place to find out about who's making good music in Aberdeen and the surrounding area. A band/artist would post a link to their work, people would comment, they'd get ripped apart (which is good imo) and they'd get praised in equal measures depending on the quality. I'd frequently check out a new band's myspace page (it's been that long) and pass judgement in a thread. I still think feedback on a site such as this is useful and ab-music should still be considered a good place for creating that 'community' vibe.

Nowadays there is hardly any actual music discussion and even less fruitful local music discussion. I've no clue who's good nowadays. Noone comments on people's work anymore, threads get lost as quick as tehy are posted. It's a bit disheartening to see. Especially since the rest of Aberdeen seems to be crumbling into dust (BM/half of union street)

Anyway, with that in mind. Who's making good music in the area nowadays? Fuck it, let's open it up to the rest of Scotland. Which Edinburgh/Glasgow bands do people like? (Dundee can still get to fuck)

me? I like a few bands in the area and have done for a while but I don't come across as many new bands that grab me like I used to.

Newer stuff:

Seas, Starry - I'd long since left the area when they formed so haven't seen them live but I'm absolutely loving their stuff online.

Conquering Animal Sound - really nice electronic/ambient stuff from Glasgow

My Tiny Robots - indieish from Edinburgh

Bands I've liked for a while:

Marionettes - dunno if they're still on the go but I thought/think they had a lot of potential

Meursault - don't count as local but they're ace

Indian Red Lopez - consistently been playing the best music in the N.E for a filey noo

and of course there's millions of other bands that have come and gone over the years. Some good some bad. We should at least be discussing them. So Fa's abdy listening tae iv noo?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't go out as much as I used to so don't see as many bands. I do tend to have a listen to everything posted in the feedback forum but generally don't have anything constructive to say other than "that is complete shit" or "it's ok but it's not my sort of thing" so I don't bother.

Anyway, good bands in Aberdeen not yet mentioned: Turning 13, Carson Wells, The Lorelei.

Seen the name banded about loads but I've never actually listened. Will give them a bash.

GLASSMAN - www.myspace/glassman667

Weve been about for a while, had a break for a bit due to one thing and another...mainly needing some new tunes...eek :p . Now back firing on all cylinders writing new tunes and gonna be gigging over the next few months....where i dont know but yeh :cheers:

Liking the Min Diesel stuff too, Aberdeen could do with a few more bands like them...imo.

I don't go out as much as I used to so don't see as many bands. I do tend to have a listen to everything posted in the feedback forum but generally don't have anything constructive to say other than "that is complete shit" or "it's ok but it's not my sort of thing" so I don't bother.

Anyway, good bands in Aberdeen not yet mentioned: Turning 13, Carson Wells, The Lorelei.

Definately second Turning 13 and Carson Wells!

Turning 13, of course. Forgot about them. Ace band.

I'm technically not very good at deconstructing music. I either like it or I don't and will only occasionally be able to identify specific features that appeal and put that into words. I could never be a music critic. I think i'm better at describing live performance elements though, but I haven't been able to see a local band in ages so haven't been able to comment on gigs.

Turning 13, of course. Forgot about them. Ace band.

I'm technically not very good at deconstructing music. I either like it or I don't and will only occasionally be able to identify specific features that appeal and put that into words. I could never be a music critic. I think i'm better at describing live performance elements though, but I haven't been able to see a local band in ages so haven't been able to comment on gigs.

I feel like a bit of a dick analysing a local band's music, even if they ask for it.

How does the BrooklynNY scene compare to ABDN?

I feel like a bit of a dick analysing a local band's music, even if they ask for it.

How does the BrooklynNY scene compare to ABDN?

I guess it can be a bit dick-feeling inducing. But if noone gives any feedback it's an entirely useless exercise.

The 'scene' here is too big to really get a grasp of. There's about a million different niche scenes. There's a noise festival this wknd for example and they're expecting thousands to turn up. Basically anything has a good turnout and a strong following. Not been to a single empty gig. The hip-hop is incredible here. It's a cliche but you can feel it in the air, hip hop culture just permeates through everything in Brooklyn. Well, certain parts anyway.

Williamsburg up the road is some next level hipster paradise. Trendy bands aplenty. Funnily enough, the more gigs I go to the more i've come to realise how important scottish music is. You speak to a lot of people and they often cite scottish bands as their favourites.

Try Pensioner (Dundee) and Three Blind Wolves (Glasgow). Pensioner's album is on Spotify and I'm sure you can find TBW stuff somewhere on the internet. Pensioner are dead good though. Kind of like a cross between Idlewild and At the Drive In... or something. Check them out anyway.

Deportees are a really strong local band but I'm yet to hear a recording that does them justice. Absolutely brilliant live though. I especially enjoy them after a few pints and a fatty.

There is a young band called Duke that are showing a lot of potential also. I'm not actually sure if they have any recordings though...

Obviously Copy Haho (Stonehaven) are dead good too, however I've still only seen them once. They have a new album out which you can currently stream for free (and then buy).

Be Like Pablo (Forres?) have some belting tunes, although I've never seen them.

And as already mentioned Min Diesel and Stanley are both really good.

I'll have a think and come back with more. Havn't been to a gig in a good while :(

Marionettes - dunno if they're still on the go but I thought/think they had a lot of potential

Wow thanks for the mention, thought we'd been forgotten on these parts! Definitely still on the go, just been spending the past few months practicing and writing for our next recording.

I'm a big fan of Min Diesel, Carson Wells, Be Like Pablo, Indian Red Lopez and Stanley.

Curators (Edinburgh) and Make Sparks (Glasgow) are also well worth checking out.

I suppose you have to ask yourself what a local band would get out of participating here. As a musician the driving force for being involved would be to promote your music. Since the gig announcements section doesn't work effectively (I did make suggestions a while back) and people have discovered ways to invite hundreds of people to every gig via facebook, ab-music has become less relevant.

This used to be a one stop shop for a large part of the aberdeen scene, but now it's not. That's just the way it is.

Having heard rough demos of the new Marionettes stuff, it should be really good. Unless they fuck it up. In which case they should be shunned forever more. No pressure lads.

But I don't know many new Aberdeen bands, so my favourite Glasgow bands:

Over the Wall: really decent folk-tronica kind of stuff. Cracking lyrics.

Happy Particles: I think they should be releasing their album soonish? Features members of Stapleton and Remember Remember. Infinite Jet is probably one of the finest songs I've ever heard.

And who knows, I'll maybe eventually pull my finger out and put some effort into my own stuff.

Guest Tam o' Shantie

I seem to be in the throes of a great disinterest in going to gigs these days so I'm a bit out of touch.

Stanley are a cut above. I enjoy Min Diesel in a ramshackle kind of way.

Copy Haho are currently pissing over anyone else I would say, listened to their album stream the other day, v. good. Just shows what the end result of sticking at it for years can be rather than expecting the world to fall at your feet after 2 gigs and some shite demos.