aberdeen-music

2011/2012 Season Thread

french_disko

Almost certainly. And you can bet that the SFA will do everything they can to ensure that Rangers stay in the top flight.

Yes - partly because Rangers are such a draw for fans nationally and even worldwide, and partly because, as we've agreed, every other club would seriously suffer if they just exploded.

I dont know if there is a lot to stop him, the SPL will be more interested in a Rangers in some form rather than no Rangers, but in terms of licenses and stuff i dont really know.

Spoonie i think its number 2, i just cant see anyone buying the club not knowning how bad it was, but the fact he has not paid tax since he took over is the worrying thing, is he just going to drive the club into the ground or what? The other thing is surely the hmrc is not just going to lie down whilst he winds up Rangers and starts AFC Rangers tomorrow?

The crux of the problem was certainly created pre-Whyte, I don't think that's in dispute. What I think is debatable is which of the following happened:

1. He took the club over, not knowing how bad the mess was and genuinely hoping to rescue them

2. He took the club over, knowing how bad the mess was but genuinely believing he could rescue them (perhaps by calling in the administrators, creating a phoenix club and avoiding the HMRC and other liabilities)

3. He took the club over, knowing how bad the mess was and intending to strip the club down for assets, knowing that he'd more than return the £16m of debt he took on

Despite what I'm seeing,option 3 seems very unlikely because an organisation like Rangers comes with a lot of emotions and there are a lot of nasty people out there who have an interest in their success. I can't help but feel that if he did that, he might perish in a boating accident under unusual circumstances.

Option 3 all the way Spoons: Craig Whyte is a professional asset stripper, and I reckon he will be in profit by the time this whole thing reaches endgame (even if he isn't, he's only worse off to the tune of his £1 stake). And HMRC couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery: look how badly they handled the Vodafone fiasco, and then got baw-shafted in the Redknapp trial!

Sad to say, but the dirty tinks will get out of this relatively unscathed. Still funny watching 'tha peeple' sweat over it though!

Option 3 all the way Spoons: Craig Whyte is a professional asset stripper, and I reckon he will be in profit by the time this whole thing reaches endgame (even if he isn't, he's only worse off to the tune of his £1 stake). And HMRC couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery: look how badly they handled the Vodafone fiasco, and then got baw-shafted in the Redknapp trial!

Sad to say, but the dirty tinks will get out of this relatively unscathed. Still funny watching 'tha peeple' sweat over it though!

He's probably in profit already. Bear in mind he borrowed £24 million against Rangers, took receipt of it before the takeover (according to Alastair Johnston) and it more than covers the £18 million in debt which he bought from Lloyds. The £18 million in debt does not need to be recouped by Whyte. It's just the tool he's using to ensure he can control the assets now it's in administration. It'll disappear in some creative accounting or the company that holds it on it's ledger books will fold as well.

The £24 million paid for it and that debt to Ticket Us will go unpaid as Rangers FC ceases to exist.

I reckon it's 2 to be honest. Firstly, why pay any taxes at all when you know you're gonna fold the company and transfer the assets over? Secondly, Adam's right - I don't think they'll struggle to get a phoenix co going and I don't think the SFA will quibble over the licenses (although whether they'll put them back into the SPL I doubt) - the only challenge is that they'll not be eligible for European competition for 3 years.

I've heard the 'Whyte is an asset stripper' thing before, but I've not seen anything to back it up. He spent more than he made during the window, which doesn't fit with the pattern of someone looking to make quick money.

In addition to this, there's also a suggestion (based on the listing of the owners of the security interest on Rangers on the MG05 form that they submitted recently, to do with the sale of season tickets) that Whyte isn't the holder of the floating charge over Rangers assets. It's suggested that where it was said that he bought up Rangers debt, he hasn't actually paid for the majority of it, so Lloyds still have the right to Rangers assets in the event of insolvency. If that's the case, and if it happens, he won't be in a position to create the phoenix club, as the assets won't be his to transfer! Whyte's history as a businessman is not good and this could be further proof of that.

Don't see how anyone would consider Hazard as a ready-made replacement for Modric - they're totally different players. Unless 'Arry's plan would be to play Parker and Sandro as the 'holding two' with Bale-VDV-Hazard in the advanced positions. It would work, but they'd be silly to let Modric go in summer IMO. It obviously depends what other teams around them do, but if they can strengthen in a couple of key areas, they will definitely be contenders for the title next year.

I think it might be more down to Modric wishing to leave last summer, and how alot of fans see that as unforgivable and immediately want that player to leave. There's a massive amount of United fans who still hate Rooney for what he did, even though he'd signed a new long term contract within less than 48 hours of saying he wanted to leave, and even though he's playing well and scoring a shitheap of goals. Football fans are idiots, basically.

I think it might be more down to Modric wishing to leave last summer, and how alot of fans see that as unforgivable and immediately want that player to leave. There's a massive amount of United fans who still hate Rooney for what he did, even though he'd signed a new long term contract within less than 48 hours of saying he wanted to leave, and even though he's playing well and scoring a shitheap of goals. Football fans are idiots, basically.

I can't speak for all Spurs fans, obviously, but all the ones i know (certainly the Aberdeen contingent, including my brother) and the general consensus on the boards is that he's still very much wanted at Spurs and most people see that he's playing week in week out for the team. Regardless who's at the helm i don't think Modric will leave in the summer if we get CL football again and we're not trying to break apart a team or cash in, like the Berbatov saga.

From the BBC:

BBC Sport understands that Clark was fired in a surprise two-minute phone call from Hoyle, who had not attended the loss to the Blades.

It is believed his case has been passed to the League Managers' Association and could lead to a claim for unfair dismissal.

Well, no shit. That's disgusting. It looks like they're wanting to bring in a better manager for next season and they're just assuming they'll get promotion.

Heard from a Huddersfield fan that there was a big rift between him and the chairman after he made it pretty obvious he wanted the Leicester job when it became available. Still a crazy time to sack him though, when you're in 4th with a real chance of promotion still!

So it's a spite sacking. For fuck's sake, Huddersfield!

Fuck me. Editing a post is garbage. I'm trying to add this quote, but it's not having it:

I only missed one game during the Championship-winning season, the 3-2 win at Sheffield United in November 2008.

There was a good reason for it – my wife suffered a miscarriage and I took a few days off work for us to be together. Just 45 minutes before Wolves were due to kick-off at Bramall Lane, my mobile phone rang.

It was McCarthy, asking about my other half’s health, wishing me all the best and saying he was looking forward to seeing me back ‘sparring’ on the circuit again soon.

He didn’t need to do that but it was a measure of the man, how he is always looking to do the right thing by people.

It's actually nothing to do with Abramovich or Mourinho, although it is extremely annoying to see the turnaround of managers who have seemingly done little wrong. There's just something about Chelase I can't stomach. A lot of this is to do with the players - there are a lot of total dickheads that play for Chelsea, and it's starting to show even more now that they're faltering a bit in the league. It's classic 'we're used to winning so when we're not I'm just going to moan and hack' that Rangers love so much. They also play in blue. Fuck blue!

Aside from that, it probably is a little irrational - I couldn't give you a sole reason why, but if I was to choose one it would be Ashley Cole. No, John Terry. Dennis Wise.

One of them.

Here's another reason, and why I mainly cant stand Chelsea the same way I can't stand Rangers, albeit it's most likely just a minority of Chelsea fans.