aberdeen-music

2011/2012 Season Thread

french_disko

I bet the FA are disappointed Pardew has ruled himself out the England job - what arrogance.

I wish Dalglish would shut up, silly mumbling little man. Claims he 'didnt see' the Suarez/Evra incident, how convenient!!! There really was no need for Suarez to do that now all the talk is focused on that and not the football. I do actually agree with Sir Purple Face, Suarez is a disgrace.

Saha is the fucking balls. Love him. It's a shame his injuries will limit him no matter where he plays, but there's no doubt that if he could sustain fitness he'd still be playing for United. Predatory. His movement in the box is unparalleled. He doesn't miss many chances either. So clinical. I hope he can keep a clean bill of health at Spurs. A player of his calibre should be smashing in goals every week. Top geezer.

It's a shame Newcastle seemed to cave in. I'd love it if they ousted Chelsea and Arsenal out of the top 4, and today was their chance since Chelsea were torn apart by Everton.

I fully believe that the signings of Saha and Nelsen were well thought out and a good idea as they both bring extra experience in areas where we could do with it in the 2nd half of the season. Saha will obviously moan less than Pav did if he's benched with VDV and Defoe favoured when fit (although both might have to reclaim places again on the strength of the Newcastle game). While both Saha and Nelsen will do a job 'til the end of the season i expect only Saha is likely to still be there come August 31st. Caulker will be back from Swansea and can do a job and i expect that we'll permanently sign Adebayor or try and extend his loan for a second season (although i guess City will probably not be interested in the second option). It all depends really on who's brought in to replace 'Arry if he decides to leave (i expect he will but not until the end of the season) and whether they will carry on playing the same way with the same players. Mourinho would be a great fit for Spurs if he was available and i think he'd be interested in the job. I'm not keen on the prospect of Hiddink.

You not like Hiddink? He was great at Chelsea. Got them playing great football after Scolari made a right mess of them. Top bloke.

I don't "not like" him i'm just not keen on his style of management, he's got bags of experience though, and while i love Jurgen Klinsmann his man management is terrible and if he's chosen it's a disaster of Ramos proportions waiting to happen :/

The Spurs job will be a big one to take whoever takes it and they'd have to hit the ground running. There's certainly money there to support signings, even more so if we qualify for the champions league, and i've a feeling Modric and Bale etc will stay at Spurs beyond the summer too (neither have lowered their potential transfer fee's this season, if anything Bale's has gone up further).

After years of doldrums football and also rans the last couple of years has been great to be a Spurs supporter and Levy et al have done wonders stabilising the clubs finances as well and have played a major part in the turnaround of the club. It's all been done without a rich "sugar daddy" as well which makes the transition a lot sweeter.

Spurs are genuine title contenders this season and if 'Arry leaves there will be no shortage of takers for the gig. They were awesome against Newcastle and the football was breathtaking at times. I would love to see them pip the Manchester clubs but still think they will probably fall just short.

Mourinho would be a good fit as you say, but would Spurs fans want to be just another one of his projects before he leaves for a new challenge? He seems to have itchy feet, and he likes to build an empire, but when it starts to crumble a little, he's out. He's one of the best at building a team up, but when they get to the end of the "cycle" as Fergie would put it, he seems to run out of ideas. Spurs seem to be set on longevity now, like Arsenal and United, since they've stuck with Harry for quite some time now.

I think Hiddink would be a good appointment. His commitment to what he's doing is excellent. Doesn't seem to easily turn his head to bigger and better opportunities. I think as a tactician and a motivator, he's one of the best. How quickly he got Chelsea firing on all fronts again was very good. If anyone, I think he'd be the one to hit the ground running better than anyone. I think Mourinho has done alot of his management with a chequebook. Hiddink has international experience, where he pretty much has to work with what he's got, like it or lump it. I think that's a good trait to have, preventing panic buys, and more chance of him nurturing the good young players coming through. He's incredibly likeable too. Great guy.

Spurs are genuine title contenders this season and if 'Arry leaves there will be no shortage of takers for the gig. They were awesome against Newcastle and the football was breathtaking at times. I would love to see them pip the Manchester clubs but still think they will probably fall just short.

I think the highest we'll finish is 3rd though if we get a couple of good results against Man Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea i'd probably revise that as we've got a pretty good run-in at the end of the season against bottom half teams that we should be beating one way or another.

Our passing game and positional play are great this season but the main improvement was the addition of Vintage Airman Scott Parker who has pulled the team together at the back (whilst playing in midfield), the guy's everywhere and tireless. The strikers are all scoring as well but with Adebayor providing 10 assists already this season i think we're covering all areas of football well.

City have played some good football this season but have looked really brittle without Kompany at the back and have been struggling for consistancy (still smarting from the game a couple of weeks ago) and Utd have been terrible this season but still seem to be pushing as contenders.

This has been the best EPL season for a long while.

I think they'll still finish 3rd, but that'd be a grand achievement on it's own, to finish ahead of mega rich clubs like Chelsea and Arsenal. I don't agree with Levy forcing players, who have expressed their desire to leave, to stay. However, it's obviously paid off this time, as Modric has been mega this season. I thought he was going to sulk his way through the season; alot like Rodellega has been doing the past few weeks. Did you see him yesterday, screaming that they didn't pass the ball to him, even though Wigan scored anyway? What a tosser. Great stuff.

Mourinho would be a good fit as you say, but would Spurs fans want to be just another one of his projects before he leaves for a new challenge? He seems to have itchy feet, and he likes to build an empire, but when it starts to crumble a little, he's out. He's one of the best at building a team up, but when they get to the end of the "cycle" as Fergie would put it, he seems to run out of ideas. Spurs seem to be set on longevity now, like Arsenal and United, since they've stuck with Harry for quite some time now.

I think Hiddink would be a good appointment. His commitment to what he's doing is excellent. Doesn't seem to easily turn his head to bigger and better opportunities. I think as a tactician and a motivator, he's one of the best. How quickly he got Chelsea firing on all fronts again was very good. If anyone, I think he'd be the one to hit the ground running better than anyone. I think Mourinho has done alot of his management with a chequebook. Hiddink has international experience, where he pretty much has to work with what he's got, like it or lump it. I think that's a good trait to have, preventing panic buys, and more chance of him nurturing the good young players coming through. He's incredibly likeable too. Great guy.

Aye, i totally agree with what you're saying about Hiddink as he's almost a direct swap for Harry and would be a safe bet to keep us in contention but it worries me that he wouldn't provide us with anything more than that to take the next step to win the EPL. I'm hoping this season isn't a flash in the pan either, although i do think we have that longevity required to be consistently challenging for the league.

I think they'll still finish 3rd, but that'd be a grand achievement on it's own, to finish ahead of mega rich clubs like Chelsea and Arsenal. I don't agree with Levy forcing players, who have expressed their desire to leave, to stay. However, it's obviously paid off this time, as Modric has been mega this season. I thought he was going to sulk his way through the season; alot like Rodellega has been doing the past few weeks. Did you see him yesterday, screaming that they didn't pass the ball to him, even though Wigan scored anyway? What a tosser. Great stuff.

I think the whole issue with the Modric "saga" was that he is actually happy at Spurs and he'd obviously had his head turned by money (who wouldn't). He realised that he'd just signed a new contract and i think Spurs are within their rights to expect a club to either stump up the expected valuation (which Chelsea weren't prepared to do) or expect the player to get his head down and play for the team that pays his wages. It's that sort of philosophy that breeds footballers not mercenarys and i respect Spurs board for that (as i do Bayern Munich). It's important to build a team of players who are playing for the club (which Modric has always done) and not who are just cashing a cheque at the end of the month. Look at Adebayor, he looks genuinely happy again at Spurs, he never looked like that at City. Do i think he'll take a massive wage cut to move permanently, no, but do i think he'll compromise, yeah i genuinely think he will.

The spine is certainly there to compete for years to come, though all it takes is one ill-advised appointment, and it can come off the rails a bit. Just like at Chelsea this season. Great squad of players who just aren't performing. Hopefully that won't happen with Spurs if Harry leaves.

The problem with Chelsea runs deep though, ageing squad, youth not getting chances, transition season, too many chiefs not enough indians, a team full of money grabbers etc. That's what happens when you chuck money at everything.

City may get a period of 5 years or so where they're flying high but they'll come down with a bump too. United will come stronger again with a proper clearout of deadwood and some strengthening (can't wait to see what they do business wise in the summer). So will Arsenal.

Adebayor would be mental not to take a paycut for regular and successful football. When Adebayor is happy, he plays as good as anyone. You can tell when he's had enough, because he doesn't do anything. I think he needs to be appreciated more than he needs to be in the money. He fell down the pecking order at City and he didn't seem to like that, and it showed. The fans seem to love him too. It probably helps that he's a former Gunner, so it must feel like Spurs are getting one over Arsenal by flaunting a player who played shit for them for ages.

Does Harry still plan to use Bale as a left back in the future? I think that would be mental, but he said a while ago he's only going to be a winger in the interim until he matured a little. Now he's one of the most dangerous attacking players because his pace and how well he strikes the ball, it would be a shame to hold that back. Obviously he'd still attack, but not with the same sort of prominence.

Also, there's some further Suarez-Racist theories spinning around this morning. At half time, when Antonio Valencia pats Suarez on the back, Suarez seems to wipe something off the back of his shirt where Valencia touched him, as if Antonio Valencia has smeared his skin colour on his shirt, or something ridiculous, as if it were wet paint. It's probably just a coincidence, but after watching MOTD again this morning, he really does. It's pretty funny.

Adebayor would be mental not to take a paycut for regular and successful football. When Adebayor is happy, he plays as good as anyone. You can tell when he's had enough, because he doesn't do anything. I think he needs to be appreciated more than he needs to be in the money. He fell down the pecking order at City and he didn't seem to like that, and it showed. The fans seem to love him too. It probably helps that he's a former Gunner, so it must feel like Spurs are getting one over Arsenal by flaunting a player who played shit for them for ages.

Does Harry still plan to use Bale as a left back in the future? I think that would be mental, but he said a while ago he's only going to be a winger in the interim until he matured a little. Now he's one of the most dangerous attacking players because his pace and how well he strikes the ball, it would be a shame to hold that back. Obviously he'd still attack, but not with the same sort of prominence.

Yeah, i think there is an element of anti-Gooner in the Adebayor love but he's a likeable guy regardless. We're still smarting from losing Sol Campbell for nothing to Arsenal (i think that transfer set the tone for Spurs not to be bullied into selling players in all honesty).

I think we're talking when Bale loses the edge off his pace, as he probably will at some point. His vision and stamina would be great to have behind a quicker winger. The impression i got was that Harry likes a bit of depth on the sides (Danny Rose is learning both positions too, as is Kyle Walker on the right). The only person that doesn't fit into that philosophy is Aaron Lennon as he can't defend for shit but Kyle Naughton is back from Norwich at the end of the season and it'll be interesting to see what happens when he comes back as he looks good going forward too. Corluka is likely to be off at the end of the season, i'd be surprised if Pienaar doesn't go as well along with Bentley.

I expect Spurs to strengthen in the summer, possibly with some younger players. I also think Sandro could maybe do with a loan spell at a Prem team as he's going to struggle to get into the team unless Parker gets injured, although with CL games a possibility next season i'm more inclined to think he'll get more game time.

The enigma is Gio, fuck knows what the scoop is with him. He's a great wee player but he plays shit in every other game he plays for the first team (he's been a class above the rest in the reserves though). I dunno why he didn't go in the Jan window, it wasn't our asking price though i'll tell you that much as there were two offers accepted.

I can't wait to see if Coulibaly makes the step up too, he's looked amazing in the youths and the XI games he's played in this season. Scored some blinders. Falque looks good too, not sure about Ceballos though, he's been a bit hit or miss. I also wish Bostock would make a bit more effort too as he's a solid player and i'm surprised that Livermore got the nod ahead of him (though Livermore bulked up like fuck over the summer and i think Bostock is too weady still to cope with the EPL). Maybe the loan at Wednesday will help his development, a bit of rough and tumble in the lower leagues.

It's a fantastic achievement that Spurs are ten points clear of Chelsea and Arsenal, it would take an almighty fuck up to throw that away with or without 'Arry. He's done impressive work at Spurs but I hope he takes the England job if offered it, I agree with what Hansen said on MOTD last night 'he's the only man for the job'.

Really pissed off with Suarez and Dalglish, this race row thingy is gonna rumble on and on...