aberdeen-music

2011/2012 Season Thread

french_disko

He was a touch delusional and was planning on them getting promoted to the championship within 5 years of the stadium being built. They didn't even get to league 1. They've been doomed ever since.

Every interview the local news has had with him, he has said that it's the councils fault for not allowing shops and such to be built in the same area.

He also refuses to take the blame for building the white elephant. The council said that they could have 8 gigs a year there which would have saved the club, not sure when football would have been played or what sort of state the pitch would be in.

From NUFC.com: Update: Cisse medical has taken place on Tyneside today and Sky Sports News showed footage of the player at United's Darsley Park training ground.

Initial reports of a £10m fee gave way to one in the region of £7.5m-£8m plus the inevitable add-ons. As to whether there's a release clause, we'll have to wait for the next Tottenham press conference to find that out...

Confirmation of Cisse's capture is expected imminently, along with the announcement of his five year contract.

Breaking news, Tuesday lunchtime:

The desire of Alan Pardew and Martin O'Neill to add a striker to their squad in the January transfer window has led them to the same player, Papiss Demba Cisse.

And the striker looks to have got off to a flying start with the Tyneside public by spurning an approach from the mackems in order to join Newcastle.

An international colleague of Magpies forward Demba Ba and in the Senegal squad for the imminent African Cup of Nations finals, the 26 year-old has netted nine times in the Bundesliga for Freiburg so far this season.

United were credited with an interest in Cisse back in August 2011 but appeared to concentrate their efforts on the cheaper option of acquiring Modibo Maiga from Sochaux - only for that move to then break down.

Relegation-threatened Freiburg confirmed the signing of Cologne forward Sebastien Freis on Tuesday, presumably their Cisse replacement.

Whether Demba #2 will play in black and white alongside Ba - or as his successor - remains to be seen.

The Darlington saga is the perfect example of an 'if you build it, they will come' story gone badly wrong: relocating your club to an out of town Maracana is no use if you haven't got a fanbase! St Johnstone struggle to fil McD more than a third, and on a smaller scale, Stirling Albion struggle badly for crowds since they upped sticks for a shiny new stadium two miles out of town.

Can't see Aibrrdeen's new stadium faring too well either tbh...

Statistically, Swansea are one of the best passing teams in Europe. Stats clearly don't tell the entire picture but it is still interesting to see.

99e79f59-dc72-4537-b7e8-c5db4c1a22ba_f3873d7e-1355-4541-83fa-e223ef91bd8c_20120117123712_passing-teams.jpg

99e79f59-dc72-4537-b7e8-c5db4c1a22ba_f3873d7e-1355-4541-83fa-e223ef91bd8c_20120117124215_Passing-players.jpg

The stats are 100% correct in this instance: Swansea are a lovely team to watch, and have been since Brendan Rodgers got his gameplan down. They played some excellent stuff in the Championship last season and it's transferring pretty well to Premier League football. I said at the start of the season that they were the newly-promoted side with the best chance of staying-up and most disagreed, but they're doing really well.

Rodgers is a smart guy. Read a cracking interview (that I can't find again) with him around about play-off time last year, his philosophies are admirable. "Possession with penetration," taking influence from Barcelona and the Netherlands but being smart about it. You can't just rip-off another team's style and expect it to work with your group of players, so he takes bits and pieces from teams he admires and applies them to his side. I love that they're really solid defensively too. Allen, Britton, Sinclair, etc. are obviously good players and everybody knows that Vorm is the truth, but Ashley Williams is a fantastic centre-back and Neil Taylor is a cracker at LB. Unlike Blackpool they have a very strong foundation, and that's why I think they'll stay up.

The stats are 100% correct in this instance: Swansea are a lovely team to watch, and have been since Brendan Rodgers got his gameplan down. They played some excellent stuff in the Championship last season and it's transferring pretty well to Premier League football. I said at the start of the season that they were the newly-promoted side with the best chance of staying-up and most disagreed, but they're doing really well.

Rodgers is a smart guy. Read a cracking interview (that I can't find again) with him around about play-off time last year, his philosophies are admirable. "Possession with penetration," taking influence from Barcelona and the Netherlands but being smart about it. You can't just rip-off another team's style and expect it to work with your group of players, so he takes bits and pieces from teams he admires and applies them to his side. I love that they're really solid defensively too. Allen, Britton, Sinclair, etc. are obviously good players and everybody knows that Vorm is the truth, but Ashley Williams is a fantastic centre-back and Neil Taylor is a cracker at LB. Unlike Blackpool they have a very strong foundation, and that's why I think they'll stay up.

Bang on. Their home form will probably keep them up too. They've only lost one game at home, to Man United, a game which Swansea bossed but missed a sitter or two. Only City have conceded less goals at home too.

http://mancunianmatters.co.uk/content/17012126-madness-mario-city-striker-balotelli-offers-pay-manchester-university-students%E2%80%99-lib

Mario Balotelli walks into a library and asks if he can settle everyones unpaid late fines.

I don't know if it's true, or if many of the stories about him are true. There's lots of tales about him doing awesome stuff, but never any photos.

The statistics take all passes as being equal, which they are not. Ie John Terry being on that list. I'd wager that Xavi makes a lot more risky and penetrating passes than JT does. They are a fantastic side to watch and do retain possession very well but I personally would not say Leon Britton is a better passer than Xavi. So that is why I said the stats don't paint the entire picture, not that Swansea were a bad passing team. The point about it being interesting is just how good they are at maintaining possession whilst some of the bigger sides are struggling in that respect this year. Man Utd spring to mind there.

It's all well and good retaining possession, but it's all about what you do with it. For years, Arsenal were lauded as playing football "the right way" but what has it won them? United and Chelsea play a more direct combative style of football, which is more about speed and physicality than patience sideways build ups, and they are the teams who have been the most successful in England over the past several years. Swansea should be lauded for getting promoted and not resorting to negative, ugly football. They are great to watch. Their confidence and philosophy is excellent. I just can't stand hearing that pass-pass-pass football is the "right way" to play. There's lots of ways to play football, and some are more effective than others, depending on the strengths and weaknesses a team has.

• Upvote 1

Chris Samba is a chump. He's the captain and I think that carries alot of responsibility. He's jumping ship when the water gets a little rough instead of taking responsibility on the chin and standing up and being counted. Apparently he's now receiving a bit of abuse from his team mates, saying that he should be ashamed. I kind of agree. It says alot about his character, running scared half way through the season, instead of staying until the summer and fighting to get them out of the danger zone. He's a good player but I don't think his performances this season warrant him acting like Billy Big Bollocks who is too big for Blackburn. The club are in disarray but the players should be united, fighting to get through it. That's not what a club captain should be doing. I hope he goes to QPR and they get relegated, and Blackburn stay up. That would be great.

• Upvote 1

Chris Samba is a chump. He's the captain and I think that carries alot of responsibility. He's jumping ship when the water gets a little rough instead of taking responsibility on the chin and standing up and being counted. Apparently he's now receiving a bit of abuse from his team mates, saying that he should be ashamed. I kind of agree. It says alot about his character, running scared half way through the season, instead of staying until the summer and fighting to get them out of the danger zone. He's a good player but I don't think his performances this season warrant him acting like Billy Big Bollocks who is too big for Blackburn. The club are in disarray but the players should be united, fighting to get through it. That's not what a club captain should be doing. I hope he goes to QPR and they get relegated, and Blackburn stay up. That would be great.

What is this in relation to?

What is this in relation to?

He's made a transfer request and Mark Hughes is odds on fave to land him at QPR. Apparently there might be something in Scott Dann's contract that allows him to leave if Samba leaves. So aye, "we're" pretty fucked. At least Givet will still be around. Not many people know this, but he is an Immortal and has been around since beofre football began. The film Highlander was based on his life.

BTW, David Dunn is the best passer of the ball in Europe. The statistics are wrong. His record is 100%.

I didn't realise people actually supported Blackburn?

I would say I support them, but I certainly follow their results and watch their games when I can. Sometimes I just want them to fuck off, but the same goes for Aberdeen. When they won the league in 95, my Dad followed them because my Grandpa, his father, played for them before WW2. To me, at 8 years of age, I thought this was the coolest thing ever and have "supported" them ever since. I've only ever seen them play against Aberdeen in someone.... Brian Irvine?.... 's testimonial. To me, its as good a reason as any to follow an English team, and at least it's not Man U or Arsenal (however my motives for supporting them in the first place are arguably of "glory seeking" mentality). Still, shite club.

Cool

Story

Bro'

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2012/jan/17/the-question-is-african-football-progressing

Good article on the state of African football. However I really only want to link it because it includes this sentence..

I was having a coffee in a courtyard shaded by mango trees in Benguela, western Angola, talking to a Swiss clown who'd married a Nigerian woman he'd met while touring with his circus.

I bet you never see that in a football article again!!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2012/jan/17/the-question-is-african-football-progressing

Good article on the state of African football. However I really only want to link it because it includes this sentence..

I bet you never see that in a football article again!!

Note the tremendous comment someone has put in relation to that bit:

talking to a Swiss clown who'd married a Nigerian woman he'd met while touring with his circus. He's spent much of the past 20 years writing about African football. "It's all rubbish," he said. "I hate it now, hate what's happened. I hate the lies and the false consciousness. I hate the bullshit and the corruption. Just look at it: it's rubbish."

Obviously, Blatter is more honest in private.