aberdeen-music

Lucky Rathen considers himself British first and Scottish second

Oedo 808

Should be in Pet Hates, but anyone who refers to the English as "guffs" should be shot.

I'm lined up against the wall this minute, as I am prone to using guffy/guffo, I've always thocht of it as quite an affectionate term for 'em down the road, much more so than sassenach, behind which I hear real hatred. The G word aint hate, naw, they don't even recognise it, they called me a 'sweaty' once, racist bassas, *goes on increasingly incoherently*

The real issue is 1 Aberdonian/scion of the Shire, 2 Scots, 3 Human 4 Countercultural 5 EU, can I have my rights please 6 When I am watching something nice on the BBC, I may have a Briton moment.

I write British on forms because I don't want to alert form collectors and analysers. Under the Radar

Nationalism is a balls concept anyway.

Like Christy I only consider it when it comes to fitba in which case 'mon the Scotland, fuck England and I don't care about NI or Wales. I don't really like other sports where we compete as UK so have never supported Britain, or GB or whatever. Likewise England could thump Scotland at rugger, cricket and tiddlywinks every year and I wouldn't care.

Also, this, in fact it's good when Scotland lose at Rugby, as all the bum-faced chaps get despondant, and that's funny.

After writing that big ramble, I go on Facebook and at the very top of my Home page:

make your vote count, make your vote a sensible vote.....VOTE SNP

Independent Saltire is a new group set up to raise awareness of Scottish Independence. To educate people on the myths that unionists feed us and what are the real facts about independence.

I haven't watched the video. It will annoy me.

I haven't watched the video. It will annoy me.

I had a good chuckle at the tired old arguments it presented.

If you ever want to piss a nationalist off, just talk to them about the chronic, unresolved issues with European monetary union and the potential pitfalls facing an independent Scotland. Mention Ireland at least three times.

Just because a bit of land is bisected by an area of water, that does not make the area bisected an autonomous island, just as Islands with causeways don't unbecome islands, and turn into peninsulas or promontorys. And that goes double if a human did it, always wandering about moving stuff, the humans.

I think it's a bit of a shame that this thread has to have the title it does - a little perjorative no?

Anyway, I was born in Scotland but I have an English mum, a Greek gran and a Russian grandmother. I don't like a lot of the "qualities" often associated with Britishness (and I tend not to use the term to describe myself), but the same goes for idiot Braveheart nationalists.

Does anyone actually have any first hand experience of this happening? I've always thought it was kind of bullshit, but maybe I've only ever met clued up foreigners.

I see the Philippines have been mentioned and this happens to me around Asia. As far as I can see it's because (East) Asian languages (at least the ones I'm familiar with) don't have separate words for Britain, UK or England and a transliteration of England is used to refer to any of those. In my country of residence the rarely used term for the UK is literally the United Kingdom of England. They do understand the difference between Scotland (which there's a word for) and the UK, but not quite the difference between UK/Britain and England. Thus I just say I'm from Scotland.

I think it's a bit of a shame that this thread has to have the title it does - a little perjorative no?

The whole thread was designed to be completely ridiculous and the phrasing was borrowed from Lucky's own words. I didn't expect anything anywhere nearing a serious discussion to come from it.

Bravo ab-music chaps.

Haven't read the whole thread but always Scottish first. I'm not particularly nationalistic but that's where I was born. I get a little anoyed with drop down lists of counties on the interent not having Scotland as an option especially if it's a Scottish web site.

And on the subject of foreigners getting confused my daughters in Australia just now and her tour guide thought Scotland and Ireland were at war. I think I blame Celtic and Rangers for that.