aberdeen-music

Aberdeen Music Poetry Corner

Bigsby

Some can be found here:

Keepers

I'm working on updating it with some older pieces once I've revised them a bit.

I love some of the stuff on there, particularly November.

I have a question though. A general poetry question as opposed to a question for you specifically, but google has been of little help.

Where does the structure come from? Why is it laid out the way it is? I understand that poetry obviously doesn't need to rhyme or fit a specific template, but take the last verse of November for example.

Are there specific reasons that it's laid out like this:

The night draws in

quicker now. Silhouetted,

the naked churchyard

trees that catch

our death of cold,

the day

sitting low in

the sky, over

frozen blue

streets outside.

And not this:

The night draws in quicker now.

Silhouetted, the naked churchyard trees

that catch our death of cold,

the day sitting low in the sky,

over frozen blue streets outside.

Or this:

The night draws in quicker

now. Silhouetted, the naked churchyard

trees that catch our death of cold,

the day sitting low

in the sky,

over frozen

blue streets outside.

Is it to do with separating key images and phrases from each other? Should each line be looked at individually for deeper meaning out-with it's context in the poem as a whole? Or is it more to do with structuring it so that it reads the way the writer intends...?

xx

I love some of the stuff on there, particularly November.

Where does the structure come from? Why is it laid out the way it is? I understand that poetry obviously doesn't need to rhyme or fit a specific template, but take the last verse of November for example.

Is it to do with separating key images and phrases from each other? Should each line be looked at individually for deeper meaning out-with it's context in the poem as a whole? Or is it more to do with structuring it so that it reads the way the writer intends...?

xx

Firstly, thanks!

Secondly, while poetry doesn't need to rhyme it should still have rhythm. I played around with various line lengths and different variations of stanzas and with line endings/beginnings to get to the version that's on the site.

The best essay I think you could read would be the Norton essay on Versification from their Poetry Anthology. Bits of which can be found here: Norton's Versification Essay

Goes into a lot more depth on things like stresses, metre and different forms.

• Upvote 1

Firstly, thanks!

Secondly, while poetry doesn't need to rhyme it should still have rhythm. I played around with various line lengths and different variations of stanzas and with line endings/beginnings to get to the version that's on the site.

The best essay I think you could read would be the Norton essay on Versification from their Poetry Anthology. Bits of which can be found here: Norton's Versification Essay

Goes into a lot more depth on things like stresses, metre and different forms.

Ah, brilliant. Cheers!

xx

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I wandered lonely as a poo
That poos on sheep o'er Vales and poo,
When all at once I saw a poopy
A host of pooping Daffopoops;

this timeless classic was lovingly edited by my 6 year old cousin.

Me too, it's all cool, let's Hug it out. :)

I just honestly don't know what state I would've been in to be angry with you like that for next to no reason. Must have been during my unemployed, single, miserable fun times. I genuinely am sorry for being such an intolerable knob, don't know what came over me.

Anyway, more poetry.