aberdeen-music

Kurt Cobain - 17 years gone...

Lemonade

I was a major Nirvana geek from the age of 16 onwards, kinda spoilt it when I read a biography of Kurt and realised he was a bit of a bellend. (IMO)

They have some tunes but I don't think all the b-side releases and crap that came out a few years ago was un-necessary. Who wants to hear smells like teen spirt played in a shed again?

Have recently got round to watching the 'Live at Reading' DVD which I bought a while ago in the double pack with the CD and just listened to the CD at the time, shonky performace in many ways but the fact remains that their songs were fucking great. Simplistic in some respects but the vocals are fantastic and there hasn't been another singer to touch Cobain since. Add in Grohl's ace drumming and there are few bands who have touched them.

After revisiting Nirvana I have also gone back to Soundgarden, Screaming Trees, Alice in Chains and Afghan Whigs, which has led me to believe that Nirvana breaking big was a good thing as it led me to all these other bands and in fact was spoilt for good music in that early 90's period.

I remember seeing them on The Word when Smells Like Teen Spirit came out and they happened to get huge at the same time everyone saw that, which probably made us feel special, I don't know. Then Nevermind came out and got played everywhere, all the time. Then my little brother and all his spaccy friends got into them and the cult of personality took over and I decided to go raving instead lol.

I had a ticket to see them in QMU in 1991. I didn't go as I was hungover, would have to have got a bus to Glasgow, and they were showing In Bed With Madonna at Hillhead Halls!

They wrote great songs. Every album is great.

I wish I'd gone to Glasgow that day.

I believe that these days that is called an EPIC FAIL.

• Upvote 1

Shutterspeed - 1 year gone.....

Can you beleive that the Shutterspeed gig was a year ago yesterday?! If I remember correctly they split the next day.....a year ago today! At least that's when things started to fall apart.

http://www.aberdeen-music.com/forums/gigs-event-announcements/60349-gfn-anonymous-tip-edleweiss-pirates-escape-victory-shutterspeed.html

April is very much the grunge reminiscence month.

• 1 month later...

Even though looking back, realising it was all just a big joke on us, it was a pretty exciting night to be playing, and yes twas around 2 days after the anniversary, Benson was nice enough to point that out before we played "Sliver" And "Breed"

Come to think of it, Thats WHY we played Sliver and Breed.

Anyway Know i'm a bit late to this thread but i say Nirvana were one of the best bands of the 90's.

to me its just the idea of rebelion, im one of those kids that you were talking about!

i was born in 95 and i own every album and can play almost all the songs!

although i dont listen to them as much anymore because i have found solice in heaver music

every teenager just loves the idea of rebelion and what music makes them feel like

even though the idea of nirvana, zep or sabbath being rebelious is quite a vague idea, its just what they stand for and how they differ to every other artist they gets their crap broadcasted every day!

to me its just the idea of rebelion, im one of those kids that you were talking about!

i was born in 95 and i own every album and can play almost all the songs!

although i dont listen to them as much anymore because i have found solice in heaver music

every teenager just loves the idea of rebelion and what music makes them feel like

even though the idea of nirvana, zep or sabbath being rebelious is quite a vague idea, its just what they stand for and how they differ to every other artist they gets their crap broadcasted every day!

Is this a poem?